• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Who Needs Hazel When You Have Sandy

CT Rain

The 18z GFS isn't too far off if we can just pull some lower H85 temps into the region.

Its also not that far off from a sweet upslope event... <duck and running>

Like you Ginxy, I'm starting to get impressed...some of these solutions would have incredible winds at 2,000-6,000ft. The obs from the mountain summits would be ridiculous. Opposite the mountains, I think the chances for ocean impacts is pretty high right now. Regardless of which model is right, the coastal and fishing waters are going to see some big wave heights.

I mean if this closes off further East and we , meaning elevation interior, ends up like interior PA, why wouldn't this be an off shore bomb with snow interior. There's your cold Hunchie.

b93c8a6e93850c794f3d4af8cbcdb38f.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

steve all this talk about perfect timing, i'm not sure thatis entirely accurate

the block is so strong and persistant that it seems sandy will give a SW a longer window of opp, i.e there is room for error for a phase to occur

i mean THAT is why the euro has shown this for run after run after run after run etc this far out. the euro didn't just pull a royal straight flush out of it's ass five runs in a row due to perfect timing x 5 runs. i think yet timing is still yet important, but there is room for error. (at least if we assume the euro is correct with the blocking pattern it's modeled consistently)

steve all this talk about perfect timing, i'm not sure thatis entirely accurate

the block is so strong and persistant that it seems sandy will give a SW a longer window of opp, i.e there is room for error for a phase to occur

i mean THAT is why the euro has shown this for run after run after run after run etc this far out. the euro didn't just pull a royal straight flush out of it's ass five runs in a row due to perfect timing x 5 runs. i think yet timing is still yet important, but there is room for error. (at least if we assume the euro is correct with the blocking pattern it's modeled consistently)

Faster means cuts into DC, slower Newfoundland, would you say that would be accurate timing?

I am educating Friends/Family a potential storm threat exists, could be a hit, could be a miss, but to plan accordingly. IF the threat materializes then the store rush sat and sun will nuts!

I can't believe people are taking this threat so seriously. The 12z and 18z GFS were both very far east, and the ECM has backed down on the PNA ridging which is going to limit how much of a full-latitude trough we see with the system. I'd give this less than a 10% shot of SNE seeing any impacts, except the Cape where it's maybe 25%.

I can't believe people are taking this threat so seriously. The 12z and 18z GFS were both very far east, and the ECM has backed down on the PNA ridging which is going to limit how much of a full-latitude trough we see with the system. I'd give this less than a 10% shot of SNE seeing any impacts, except the Cape where it's maybe 25%.

Well I'm not sure the PNA ridging is all that important to be honest. It's more an issue of a well time shortwave and exceptional downstream blocking.

I think odds are good we see some impact but that could be as little as a breeze and some showers.

:lol: Pull the socks back over your head

guys i know this is somewhat related question to ask, and since there is more action on this thread, i'd like to ask about the current state of SANDY, have her centers stacked/alligned this eve or are they still plagued by being displaced like this am (and seemingly like most tropical systems have been this year)?

Well I'm not sure the PNA ridging is all that important to be honest. It's more an issue of a well time shortwave and exceptional downstream blocking.

I think odds are good we see some impact but that could be as little as a breeze and some showers.

I thought the ridge was important to help dig and slow the s/w down. When we have that, I think the chances are better for the timing to be right. At least IMHO.

wow...that tweet that Kevin posted...wow

those ens are remarkably similar.

If it were 60hrs that's one thing. But 156 hrs or whatever out....lots of things can happen. I still like setting the bar at something like a nor'easter like deal from low pressure trough or a wave developing along the front. The ensemble agreement is concerning, but at the same time....people need to appreciate the magic that has to occur for it to happen. Of course as we get closer and it appears to look better than we can sound the alarm.

I thought the ridge was important to help dig and slow the s/w down. When we have that, I think the chances are better for the timing to be right. At least IMHO.

Oh I think for the extreme/Euro-esque solution you're right.

I think for the OTS/GFS solution it's really an issue of downstream ridging/blocking and any weakness that develops.

socks makes a valid point about keeping an eye on the PNA ridging the euro shows. Is the loss of ridging a trend on the euro or just an adjustment, or blip on the screen. i thought it was important , but i don't know much lol

It seems to be just a hair flatter ea run which is effecting the trough over the Tennessee valley, Just something to watch down the road i guess

Where has Wiz been?

Working...Tuesday's right now through end of January I do ~10 hour work days.

Anyways just looked at GFS/Euro and I still believe the most realistic outcome at this point is an inverted trough setup bringing moisture from Sandy westward and interacting with the trough/front as it moves across New England. Would certainly have to watch out for some hefty rainfall totals somewhere across the region.

one thing that makes me a bit uneasy about Sandy tracking further west towards the coast is both the Euro and GFS have a pretty strong STJ with a potent STJ streak located across FL extending into the Atlantic...the steering flow is also quite strong and I would suspect this would lead to a further east track of Sandy. Given this, however, the Euro still has Sandy tracking further west and eventually being caught by the trough...I would think ,given the time range we are in this could be a bias of the euro just being phase happy While the Euro does amplify the trough moreso than the GFS does, given the position of the trough axis I find it a little difficult to think Sandy would track that far west.

It should be interesting watching Sandy though as she interacts with that STJ.

If it were 60hrs that's one thing. But 156 hrs or whatever out....lots of things can happen. I still like setting the bar at something like a nor'easter like deal from low pressure trough or a wave developing along the front. The ensemble agreement is concerning, but at the same time....people need to appreciate the magic that has to occur for it to happen. Of course as we get closer and it appears to look better than we can sound the alarm.

Of course, doesn't change the fact that it's cool to see.

Ryan, I messaged you about something

my main skeptism is with the strength of sandy, i have seen more tropical storms this year have difficulty alligning their centers then i can ever recall, most this year never got their act together, and i attribute alot of it to this displacement of LLC/MLC's. Does the euro show sandy as a formidable cane or a disjointed mess /strong tropical storm? off the SE (Fl) coast

Archived