joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Who Needs Hazel When You Have Sandy

CT Rain

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always maintain low expectations so you don't end up with a major disappointment, Still a bunch of model runs to get thru before we have some type of a consensus, That may not even be until Friday

I'm thinking a decent or maybe powerful nor'easter. Probably not a complete miss, certainly not the extreme solutions weenies are looking for. Sandy might serve to be something more like Grace in '91, an extra boost for a powerful nor'easter in a blocky pattern.

i don't like the (modeled) slow speed of the system. hazel and 38 were both charging northward and this helped enhance the wind on the east side

Well I'm not sure that slow speed will verify. If the absorption occurs I bet the speed will wind up faster than modeled.

If the slow speed/stall did verify that's a worst case scenario from a coastal flooding and possibly tree damage/inland flooding perspective. 3 hours of storm force winds or 18 hours? lol

Well I'm not sure that slow speed will verify. If the absorption occurs I bet the speed will wind up faster than modeled.

If the slow speed/stall did verify that's a worst case scenario from a coastal flooding and possibly tree damage/inland flooding perspective. 3 hours of storm force winds or 18 hours? lol

I'm sure at some point Sandy would speed up, however, if we do see the strong blocking develop that some models have shown Sandy may end up slowing down once it nears our area.

dr. hart's presentation on the 38 storm mentions how the model simulations were too slow with the movement northward

Capture and stall near benchmark?

I think he mentioned pretty much every lf (floyd, bob, gloria etc) being progged too slow.

How will models handle fujiwhara interaction with big low in N Atlantic too?

Are they struggling with that? WIll they continue too as well?

Fujiwhara doesn't have to be a W Pac giant loop... can influence track without a full or even really discernible loop.

How will models handle fujiwhara interaction with big low in N Atlantic too?

Are they struggling with that? WIll they continue too as well?

Fujiwhara doesn't have to be a W Pac giant loop... can influence track without a full or even really discernible loop.

Like Kevin's two hairs that try to Fujiwhara around each other?

I'm thinking a decent or maybe powerful nor'easter. Probably not a complete miss, certainly not the extreme solutions weenies are looking for. Sandy might serve to be something more like Grace in '91, an extra boost for a powerful nor'easter in a blocky pattern.

I would lean more towards the nor easter as well, A lesser of the extreme solution and more realistic along the east coast this time of year

If Sandy is tracking close enough to qualify as a nor'easter than this won't be the typical run-of-the mill type nor'easter, this would be much more significant than that. Tracking close enough to be a nor'easter would pretty much mean she is phasing with the trough and Polar Jet and if that happens...

If Sandy is tracking close enough to qualify as a nor'easter than this won't be the typical run-of-the mill type nor'easter, this would be much more significant than that. Tracking close enough to be a nor'easter would pretty much mean she is phasing with the trough and Polar Jet and if that happens...

Not necessarily... it could do a sort of meander off the Cape/ACK or off Nova Scotia... get captured and do a retro.

As the storm retros it will peak right around the time of capture and then fill. As it drifts west it will continue to weaken and the pressure field will expand.

Not necessarily... it could do a sort of meander off the Cape/ACK or off Nova Scotia... get captured and do a retro.

As the storm retros it will peak right around the time of capture and then fill. As it drifts west it will continue to weaken and the pressure field will expand.

Yeah that's a great point...I didn't think about this sort of scenario and probably misunderstood the context of some of the posts...when I read nor'easter I was just thinking of the system riding up close to the coast.

GGEM and 18z GFS had the retro effect, That is not off the table as well as all the other solutions, Just something else to watch how this all evolves

Yup... and that solution while possibly significant for ENE beaches with coastal flood threats... I think that's a ho hum solution for most of us.

Yup... and that solution while possibly significant for ENE beaches with coastal flood threats... I think that's a ho hum solution for most of us.

Would probably be portions of ME that end up with some decent rains and of course the coastal flooding.

We just get to enjoy clouds/showers and the passage of a strong front!

Would probably be portions of ME that end up with some decent rains and of course the coastal flooding.

We just get to enjoy clouds/showers and the passage of a strong front!

Probably a couple days back now i had mentioned the Maritimes or DE Maine on this storm, Sort of like the retrograde from hell storm Jan 2010 here

Archived