Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Long Duration Noreaster - First week of June

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The steady rain has ended along Rt 2. It's really not as ugly as all that out there. That cool tree waving breeze is really refreshing actually. The sky is no longer uniform gray. It's got texture now and bright areas - the sun was even dimly visible when getting lunch.

48, rain, very raw here at 2k. BSE2!!! Snow falling in NE! SCHWEET!

Nice! Glad its cold back home. I picked up about 2" of wet snow last night at 3000ft outside Geiranger, Norway. Probably 5:1 ratio stuff that was sopping wet, but it was my first ever June snowfall...had to go way north to find it.

Wait till I post some pictures Pete...this place might give Alaska a run for its money judging by the amount of snow on the ground in June. Roads are tunnels.

thats awesome!

Nice! Glad its cold back home. I picked up about 2" of wet snow last night at 3000ft outside Geiranger, Norway. Probably 5:1 ratio stuff that was sopping wet, but it was my first ever June snowfall...had to go way north to find it.

Wait till I post some pictures Pete...this place might give Alaska a run for its money judging by the amount of snow on the ground in June. Roads are tunnels.

Temps have cooled off in the past hour or so...down to 50° from 54° just a little while ago with the latest batch of rain. It's not often that you see temps do that mid day in early June. My 28 year record low max for today is 57° which I think we can beat but tomorrow's (I record 7a-7a) is 54° which we've tied.

It's been so long since we've had a large storm like this to track...it's nice no matter what the weather!

It was above normal precip wise for us here for the month, I think it was 2010 when we had back to back months of 12" and 13" rainfall totals for June and July, Looking back it was 2009 we had a real wet June and July, June 2010 was also wet

And June 2009 started out nice, with 8 dry days. Unfortunately, over the next 8 weeks, I only recorded 7 dry days. It was August before we had two in a row. I had all the rainy days, but lower precip than some, with 9.76" for June and 7.29" for July. (And another 6.77" in August for my wettest summer ever, though the August precip came in bunches with dry stretches between.)

And in about 990/1000 years..you would be right.

If the 7-month span were, say, April 1 thru Nov 1, maybe the odds are slightly better. Oct-June, I'd say the odds were even worse.

"...holding in the 40s is hard during midday in June."

In 120 years, Farmington, Maine has recorded 4 days in June with highs in the 40s, in 1956 (46, the coolest), 1982, 2004, 2005 (all 49s.) Yup, none too common.

And June 2009 started out nice, with 8 dry days. Unfortunately, over the next 8 weeks, I only recorded 7 dry days. It was August before we had two in a row. I had all the rainy days, but lower precip than some, with 9.76" for June and 7.29" for July. (And another 6.77" in August for my wettest summer ever, though the August precip came in bunches with dry stretches between.)

Finally some relief from the steady precip over the last few days as the steady rain has tapered off

If the 7-month span were, say, April 1 thru Nov 1, maybe the odds are slightly better. Oct-June, I'd say the odds were even worse.

In 120 years, Farmington, Maine has recorded 4 days in June with highs in the 40s, in 1956 (46, the coolest), 1982, 2004, 2005 (all 49s.) Yup, none too common.

It's a good example of why persistence is a horrible way to forecast...especially when all data points to such an anomalous event. It doesn't matter if we were +10 for months on end...when you have such great blocking an anomalous low heights..it's going to be cold.

Not to pull a LL but today is actually not so bad here. It was better than what I was expecting. Periods of sunshine and blue sky breaking through the BKN Cu deck. A breeze and cool but actually refreshing when the sun is out. I did have to close the windows at the house but it's definitely not a damp/dreary feeling day.

That shows how uncommon it is. I only have records going back 28 years and my coolest is a 52 on 5th & 13th. My latest 40s is May 25th.

Still R- but the temp has come up to 52° here in SNE.

Not to pull a LL but today is actually not so bad here. It was better than what I was expecting. Periods of sunshine and blue sky breaking through the BKN Cu deck. A breeze and cool but actually refreshing when the sun is out. I did have to close the windows at the house but it's definitely not a damp/dreary feeling day.

It's a little different in this corner of NE CT. Its been raining & drizzly here since this AM. I did have a peak of sun around 0700, but that quickly went away.

Retrograding now, just got crappy here

You must downslope a bit. ORH still 48.

But then again, it is raining at ORH. Still 51.8 with only intermittent sprinkles or showers is extremely chilly.

The meso site near me (a Davis) has hit 50.7.... wonder what my craptastic thermo has for a max since this morning... probably close.

48 at ORH...wow. Is that their high for the day?

Up to 65 at bdr! Temps up to the northeast are ridiculous, while the models were a too far west which I think most thought might happen, they nailed it up that way, I cant believe its 48 degrees at orh thats complete insanity.

Brilliant sunshine right now, never thought I would get a full day of work in, take it easy and stay warm up there folks:)

I never thought it would be that bad here at all, but never dreamed that we would have this ........incredible sky, very autumnal like.

I'm on the same coast as you. Its cold, the sun is in and out very briefly, and it was clouded over for most of the day, and its extremely windy.

That's pretty far south for it to snow in June, but I know the British Isles and Scandinavia have been having anomalously cold weather with the -NAO block. I was imagining you'd have to be up by Trondheim to get snow this late in the season with limited elevation.

The steady rain has ended along Rt 2. It's really not as ugly as all that out there. That cool tree waving breeze is really refreshing actually. The sky is no longer uniform gray. It's got texture now and bright areas - the sun was even dimly visible when getting lunch.

We had a few peeks of sun around 2pm, and the temperature peaked at 54.5F here in the Monadnocks. Now I'm down to 48.5F with a steady, soaking rain. Absolutely awful day for June 4th.

Archived