• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Long Duration Noreaster - First week of June

Baroclinic Zone

Just east of Stoughton Ctr. There's a small ridge there that peaks out at 325 ft along Route 139 at the water tank at Central St, with a couple other peaks just over 300 feet, one of which I live on. The town's 2-foot contour map has the 300-ft contour going right through the middle of my yard.

Oh yeah I see that. Stoughton is a good snow spot. That 300ft can bring you down a degree in borderline snow situations. The difference between 33 and 32F means the world sometimes.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just east of Stoughton Ctr. There's a small ridge there that peaks out at 325 ft along Route 139 at the water tank at Central St, with a couple other peaks just over 300 feet, one of which I live on. The town's 2-foot contour map has the 300-ft contour going right through the middle of my yard.

Oh yeah I see that. Stoughton is a good snow spot. That 300ft can bring you down a degree in borderline snow situations. The difference between 33 and 32F means the world sometimes.

That's a pretty prolific snow spot on those big noreasters with huge OES contribution. Although the setups havent been ideal that area right over to the old NAS crushed it at times.

Only having been there for a year, and through a mild winter, it's tough to judge the patterns, but a couple times this winter, I noticed you and a few others were reporting rain in the Boston basin, where I had accumulating snow. But during the October storm, the rain/snow line sat right along Bay Rd on the Sharon/Stoughton line for several hours sparing me the power outages/tree damage that Sharon got. And on those calm cold radiating winter mornings when I left for work, my place was a few degrees warmer than Stoughton Ctr and several degrees warmer than Sharon.

That's a pretty prolific snow spot on those big noreasters with huge OES contribution. Although the setups havent been ideal that area right over to the old NAS crushed it at times.

In general, you get uplift just inland if not from land/sea comvergence...than also from those 200ft hills give or take. When the lower levels are already unstable, that extra lift only boosts it. I've seen it first hand at my parents house and even around here. I don't know where to find the precip totals, but the June 2006 nor'eastern had a QPF max that followed rt 3 right into BOS. I'll have to dig it up.

I know most on this forum don't care, but I like these mesoscale things. The old NAS in South Weymouth (KNZW) is about 200' or a little higher. It's a shame not to have obs there.

Only having been there for a year, and through a mild winter, it's tough to judge the patterns, but a couple times this winter, I noticed you and a few others were reporting rain in the Boston basin, where I had accumulating snow. But during the October storm, the rain/snow line sat right along Bay Rd on the Sharon/Stoughton line for several hours sparing me the power outages/tree damage that Sharon got. And on those calm cold radiating winter mornings when I left for work, my place was a few degrees warmer than Stoughton Ctr and several degrees warmer than Sharon.

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in Brockton and lived in Marshfield for 10 years.

Anyways, the winter previously would have smoked you. I'm sure you would have noticed the difference in 2 of those storms where the snow was wetter. 12/26/10 and 1/12/11 for example. Bay Rd is usually a climo coastal front spot.

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in Brockton and lived in Marshfield for 10 years.

Anyways, the winter previously would have smoked you. I'm sure you would have noticed the difference in 2 of those storms where the snow was wetter. 12/26/10 and 1/12/11 for example. Bay Rd is usually a climo coastal front spot.

Oh, I know about that winter. That's when I was looking at houses in the town.

I grew up in Norwell actually. Went to college and grad school out of state, then jumped around eastern Mass until I landed in Stoughton.

In general, you get uplift just inland if not from land/sea comvergence...than also from those 200ft hills give or take. When the lower levels are already unstable, that extra lift only boosts it. I've seen it first hand at my parents house and even around here. I don't know where to find the precip totals, but the June 2006 nor'eastern had a QPF max that followed rt 3 right into BOS. I'll have to dig it up.

I know most on this forum don't care, but I like these mesoscale things. The old NAS in South Weymouth (KNZW) is about 200' or a little higher. It's a shame not to have obs there.

People that haven't lived here like you and I find our meso stuff about as interesting as Powderfreaks or MRGs. We get those localized effects other areas don't and like you I find them fascinating.

Where I live now I think it's mainly convergence, although no doubt going from MSL up to 150 or so feet in a hundred yards adds a tiny bit.

Oh, I know about that winter. That's when I was looking at houses in the town.

I grew up in Norwell actually. Went to college and grad school out of state, then jumped around eastern Mass until I landed in Stoughton.

Nice, Norwell is a great town. Well I lived in Marshfield for 10 years...parents still do, so you and I both know about the fun and heartbreaks of winter..lol.

People that haven't lived here like you and I find our meso stuff about as interesting as Powderfreaks or MRGs. We get those localized effects other areas don't and like you I find them fascinating.

Where I live now I think it's mainly convergence, although no doubt going from MSL up to 150 or so feet in a hundred yards adds a tiny bit.

The effects of that usually start near shore. That's where winds can slow down a bit and cause a pile up of air coming in off the water.

I always wondered how awesome it would be to have a 1500' ridge line off the water..lol.

Don't kid youself, people find our microclimates fascinating. I can't wait to start posting first snow pics in about 120-140 days.

The effects of that usually start near shore. That's where winds can slow down a bit and cause a pile up of air coming in off the water.

I always wondered how awesome it would be to have a 1500' ridge line off the water..lol.

Too bad the NPS won't let you build atop Cadillac Mt.

Still low-mid 50s here, with occasional showers. Haven't checked out the garden. I think the tomato and pepper seedlings will survive, but the cuke and squash seed may rot in the ground. All that stuff got planted in the heat of May 29.

Too bad the NPS won't let you build atop Cadillac Mt.

Still low-mid 50s here, with occasional showers. Haven't checked out the garden. I think the tomato and pepper seedlings will survive, but the cuke and squash seed may rot in the ground. All that stuff got planted in the heat of May 29.

Spotty light showers off and on today temp 55F, I think i will luck out, The beans had already germinated and are already 2", The cukes are 4" and already have there 2nd set of leaves, I planted them May 26th but they were seedlings as far as cukes go

Skies here today have been nothing short of incredible, just took this on my cell picking up my son from daycare.........a couple popcorn showers and changeable skies all day. Couple boomers en route now, awesome two days, going to make this weekends warmth and sun all that more special. Torch next week in western ne at least. Awesome stuff today!

Archived