Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Long Duration Noreaster - First week of June

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that my barometer has been rising since 9 or 10am. The storm must be moving away faster than it is deepening or the high is making more of a gradient wind. Maybe both. Either way my wind has been steadily increasing. High gust has been 37mph, so far.

Masochists who like 95/72 when you can not get cool are worse, at least you can get warm. Working outside sucks in the heat.

Yeah I was going to say you're a glutton for punishment if you root for 90+ heat. That's worse with humidity than just needing to throw on an extra layer when you leave the house...much, much worse. I'd rather get in my car and have it be 50F for a few minutes inside than 110F, getting third degree burns from the seatbelt.

Yeah I was going to say you're a glutton for punishment if you root for 90+ heat. That's worse with humidity than just needing to throw on an extra layer when you leave the house...much, much worse. I'd rather get in my car and have it be 50F for a few minutes inside than 110F, getting third degree burns from the seatbelt.

True dat scott...my rear view mirror melted off the window last week lol

Went out around lunch....needed gloves almost. For those masochists who enjoy this, congrats.

46/44, fog/mist, gusty NE wind. Just got in from the golf course after walking an exhilarating 9 holes. While the course is never crowded I was the only soul out there. Awesome. Reminded me of Autumn and the last days of golf season and the joy of the birth of a new ski season. Fantastic. Warmed up enough walking to play in short sleeves (except a slicker when it rained.)

Yeah I think I had 1.5 earlier, but it seems like +2 imo. We'll see.

I'm not sure it will be quite that warm in Boston, as the rest of the week still looks like -5 days or so. Today was definitely the chilliest, but we should see several more days of negative departures. Also, the models keep some form of blocking near AK/western Canada in the longer range, so it seems as if we'll be on the edge of the upper level low near Hudson Bay. The Euro has been shifting that ULL around in the last few runs, with the tendency for it to be further northwest and allow more heat to enter the East Coast. I still think we could be in a battleground between high heights in the Plains and lower heights just to the north.

The heat just kicked on in the house...yikes!

Yeah, dorms here have heating on tonight. 46.4F right now in Rindge.

I'm not sure it will be quite that warm in Boston, as the rest of the week still looks like -5 days or so. Today was definitely the chilliest, but we should see several more days of negative departures. Also, the models keep some form of blocking near AK/western Canada in the longer range, so it seems as if we'll be on the edge of the upper level low near Hudson Bay. The Euro has been shifting that ULL around in the last few runs, with the tendency for it to be further northwest and allow more heat to enter the East Coast. I still think we could be in a battleground between high heights in the Plains and lower heights just to the north.

Yeah, dorms here have heating on tonight. 46.4F right now in Rindge.

Well overnight departures can rack up temps too. Any humidity and temps will stay mild. It doesn't have to be a furnace during the day. I said around 1.5-2.0 or something like that a week ago. Maybe its only 1.5 but I think it ends somewhat in a warm note. I also am not thinking BOS gets hot for several days next week. Looks like we could seabreeze in BOS at times even this weekend.

Masochists who like 95/72 when you can not get cool are worse, at least you can get warm. Working outside sucks in the heat.

I'll always take sun in the summer...always. The only possible exception is a hurricane.

50 with strong NE winds and sheet drizzle just doesn't do it for me. Not that 95/72 isn't abjectly miserable. But scantily clad ladies are easier to see. I turned the heat back in.

Well overnight departures can rack up temps too. Any humidity and temps will stay mild. It doesn't have to be a furnace during the day. I said around 1.5-2.0 or something like that a week ago. Maybe its only 1.5 but I think it ends somewhat in a warm note. I also am not thinking BOS gets hot for several days next week. Looks like we could seabreeze in BOS at times even this weekend.

Agree about the overnight lows this weekend/early next week...they look extremely mild. I was glancing at the forecast for Dobbs Ferry, and NWS has several nights getting down only to the mid 60s towards the end of their point+click forecast, with Sunday night having a low of 66F. We don't see average lows in that range until July, so that's quite a bit above average. I think the averages are in the mid-upper 50s for NYC metro in mid-June. I do believe the heat that builds Sunday/Monday/Tuesday will break rather quickly with that low tracking across the Canadian Prairies, so we might see a brief shot of cool air around mid month.

Agree about the overnight lows this weekend/early next week...they look extremely mild. I was glancing at the forecast for Dobbs Ferry, and NWS has several nights getting down only to the mid 60s towards the end of their point+click forecast, with Sunday night having a low of 66F. We don't see average lows in that range until July, so that's quite a bit above average. I think the averages are in the mid-upper 50s for NYC metro in mid-June. I do believe the heat that builds Sunday/Monday/Tuesday will break rather quickly with that low tracking across the Canadian Prairies, so we might see a brief shot of cool air around mid month.

Yeah Monday and Tuesday look warm to hot at least right now up this way. The pattern also argues for possible MCS activity so hopefully we see some action as well.

Could be another BTV hot spell before the heat spills down into SNE.

Yeah Monday and Tuesday look warm to hot at least right now up this way. The pattern also argues for possible MCS activity so hopefully we see some action as well.

Could be another BTV hot spell before the heat spills down into SNE.

What do you think for the end of the month once Monday and Tuesday's heat is cut by the cold front trailing the progged low to the northwest? The Day 10 ECM at 12z showed an NAO block rebuilding, but that's getting awfully far out for an operational model.

The 12z ECM ENS seemed to have more of a ridge in the East with the low spinning well to the north, so this pattern could set up more heat with strong troughing on the West Coast:

45/44, Peru now at 44. Refuse to turn the heat on but we did close the windows. What a torch!

I caved on the heat. My wife was complaining about how chilly our daughter's room is. I'll flip the pilot back off hopefully in 48 hours.

What do you think for the end of the month once Monday and Tuesday's heat is cut by the cold front trailing the progged low to the northwest? The Day 10 ECM at 12z showed an NAO block rebuilding, but that's getting awfully far out for an operational model.

The 12z ECM ENS seemed to have more of a ridge in the East with the low spinning well to the north, so this pattern could set up more heat with strong troughing on the West Coast:

Well the models do try to build the heat back in as -PNA sets up out west. The NAO is also positive, but the flow aloft is NW. While that can be a warm flow, it opens up the door for warm fronts to also stall close by if the heat dome is too far west. That +NAO sometimes can be too far southwest and force high pressure to ridge into New England. Something where we have SE winds and areas like BDL and NYC are torching. Of course this is hypothetical, but just saying. My guess is we probably end up pretty warm as a whole...after mid month. The GFS and Canadian so appear to be warmer for this region.

Archived