joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I hate to agree with Tullioz, he's right about the main band being north of the NC/VA border. That's becoming abundantly clear with the short term models.

I guess you don't see the secondary band still back on the GA/TN border thats dropping similar rates to what I mentioned above over Chattanooga currently. That should be able to pivot into NC.

Looking at this system evolve today, it is apparent that the Euro absolutely nailed this system from several days out. The GFS and NAM have waffled to almost every solution imaginable. The Euro, minus a few normal directional shifts, has been king. Pretty amazing. I do think the Euro peforms the best during warm winters, but struggles w/ colder winters and a -NAO such as last winter. Pretty wet here in NE TN w/ increasing precip rates and temps holding at 43.

Guys, I just wouldn't put a lot of stock in where the RUC is forming the deformation band yet. In the Christmas storm, at 00z the RUC had the band directly over RDU, and hour after hour it continued to show it directly over RDU. Greg Fishel even showed the RUC on air at 11pm and it still showed that. Where did the band end up forming? 25-30 miles southeast of RDU over I-95. That was at the same hour the RUC was still showing it over RDU. So a 12 hr + forecast of a deformation band isn't to be trusted in my opinion.

In NC, the 12Z GFS is even further north than the 6Z GFS, which was quite a bit further north than the 0Z GFS with the sig. snowfall. The 0Z GFS had given both the Triad and Triangle ~5". The 6Z GFS knocked it down to 1-3". The 12Z GFS is giving them under 2" with the 2" line almost to the NC/VA border.

These are rather dramatic shifts over just a 6-12 hour period of runs, especially considering the closeness of the event. It will be interesting to see which of these three GFS runs will verify the closest. Any guesses?

its not a good idea to use a global model for something occurring within 12 hours.

In NC, the 12Z GFS is even further north than the 6Z GFS, which was quite a bit further north than the 0Z GFS with the sig. snowfall. The 0Z GFS had given both the Triad and Triangle ~5". The 6Z GFS knocked it down to 1-3". The 12Z GFS is giving them under 2" with the 2" line almost to the NC/VA border.

These are rather dramatic shifts over just a 6-12 hour period of runs, especially considering the closeness of the event. It will be interesting to see which of these three GFS runs will verify the closest. Any guesses?

The best place to spot the comma head is to track the 850 low (which is usually east to ese of the deformation zone) and it basically goes west to east across the state which IMO coincides well with the radar.

Matches up pretty well with the expected 850 track, likely passing over RDU and going off around Nags Head. 3km rapid refresh has the band coming into the Triangle just after 8. Base reflectivity looks pretty good at that time, composite obviously moreso...

1ref_t6sfc_f11.png

cref_t6sfc_f12.png

wind_t6850_f12.png?_=1329668312210

1hsnw_t6sfc_f12.png

I feel sorry for you guys still looking at models from Charlotte to Raleigh.

Winter precip is falling and additional precip developing near Greenville,SC is poised this way.

Time to look at the radar and out the window instead of your computer models.

:lol:

Matches up pretty well with the expected 850 track, likely passing over RDU and going off around Nags Head. 3km rapid refresh has the band coming into the Triangle just after 8. Base reflectivity looks pretty good at that time, composite obviously moreso...

:lol:

Yeah, this really looks like a central VA storm to me. None of the models are convincing me otherwise.

Matches up pretty well with the expected 850 track, likely passing over RDU and going off around Nags Head. 3km rapid refresh has the band coming into the Triangle just after 8. Base reflectivity looks pretty good at that time, composite obviously moreso.

is that the 12z hi-res wrf?

Archived