Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently 45 degrees here with rain. Woohoo. :arrowhead: Still can't believe people are getting this hyped up over a cold rain with maybe a few flurries mixed in. Exception would be the mountains of course.

Perhaps if you were in an area that do have a good chance of seeing snow with this storm, you'd be over-hyping everything like your usual weenie self.

DT just cancelled the storm for the most part on his FB page, interesting arguement he makes.

I'm going to have to agree with his reasoning. Since the southern Piedmont has reached saturation, this would make it very hard to temps to go lower. I know this is premature, but i'm calling this is bust for my location(Charlotte) at least.

Meteogram for my area

I'm going to have to agree with his reasoning. Since the southern Piedmont has reached saturation, this would make it very hard to temps to go lower. I know this is premature, but i'm calling this is bust for my location(Charlotte) at least.

Meteogram for my area

Stop it with this saturation. That's only relevant if you are relying on evaporational cooling, which we are not and never were for this storm.

Nashville, TN has gone over to a rain snow mix as they continue to pick up heavy rates... Again the vast majority of the precipitation is still back in Tennessee and those calling bust so soon are likely going to be eating their words once this band shifts over into NC/VA.

It is the same thing every freaking winter storm.... people start diving off the cliff and calling a bust way before it is over. Just sit back and enjoy the ride people and appreciate whatever winter precip you get today/tonight in what has been a horrible winter

Phil, Thanks for stopping down and looking at our weather. I enjoy reading your posts. I'm from just across the river from you (Troy). Been down here east of Raleigh 28 years now. Keep up the good work I know a lot of folks look forward to your input.

Nashville, TN has gone over to a rain snow mix as they continue to pick up heavy rates... Again the vast majority of the precipitation is still back in Tennessee and those calling bust so soon are likely going to be eating their words once this band shifts over into NC/VA.

Can you stop using profanity in your comments. When you do that that, it makes your argument irrational. Ok thanks. And we did see rain between midnight and 1 hence the rapid decrease in temps until air reaches saturation around 1.

You forgot the winds coming out of the north at 10-20 mph. These are the things you aren't getting. The dewpoint is not a magical wall that prevents temperatures from falling in all cases.

The precipitation in Tennessee should shrink in coverage and consolidate into a narrow band as it moves East-Northeast across Northern NC. It will only produce an hour or two of heavy snow for any given area in my opinion. Certainly not enough to overcome temps in the mid 30's and warm surface temperatures. There will be some slushy accumulations, but even that will be gone by morning as the temperature never drops below freezing in the Piedmont unless there is clearing before dawn. Outside of that band and a few other spotty impulses, when the precipitation rates are light you will only be left with drizzle.

If the HRRR that Chris posted earlier turns out to be mostly correct (which has support from the other latest models), western and south central VA should do pretty well and be in fairly good alignment with the NWS forecasts. So, I agree with you.

Locally in central NC, the NWS looks to have that handled pretty well also. I think many were hoping that things would come together in this part of the region for something more substantial, as some of the modeling was indicating was a possibility yesterday. Any forecasts based on that will likely bust.

We can watch radar trends for the entire rest of the day, but it looks as though there won't be a substantial deform band setting up over the Piedmont of NC. And if that is the case, then most official forecasts will probably turn out ok. At this point, I see no evidence to believe that places like the Triangle will see any more than an inch or so, if that. But I wouldn't classify that as a bust.

If the HRRR that Chris posted earlier turns out to be mostly correct (which has support from the other latest models), western and south central VA should do pretty well and be in fairly good alignment with the NWS forecasts. So, I agree with you.

Locally in central NC, the NWS looks to have that handled pretty well also. I think many were hoping that things would come together in this part of the region for something more substantial, as some of the modeling was indicating was a possibility yesterday. Any forecasts based on that will likely bust.

We can watch radar trends for the entire rest of the day, but it looks as though there won't be a substantial deform band setting up over the Piedmont of NC. And if that is the case, then most official forecasts will probably turn out ok. At this point, I see no evidence to believe that places like the Triangle will see any more than an inch or so, if that. But I wouldn't classify that as a bust.

I think we will see 2-3 hours of snow roughly after 8:00pm, probably whiten everything is my hope. I would consider this a success.

Perhaps if you were in an area that do have a good chance of seeing snow with this storm, you'd be over-hyping everything like your usual weenie self.

Hey, you're probably right but I just don't see anywhere outside of the mtns. having a good chance of seeing snow with this system. If i'm wrong then i'm wrong. I don't mind eating crow and enjoying it.

Archived