• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

I know you could care less about my opinion, but unless the skies clear before sunrise temperatures will not fall below freezing tonight outside of the mountains. The latest RUC keeps temps between 33 and 35 for almost everyone outside the mountains through 7am. Any slushy accumulations, especially on roads or parking lots will melt on their own since it will be occurring from both the top and the bottom.

Never said that just said you go overboard on getting your point out. But moving on... I realize that and don't expect to plow much if any but if rates come in heavy it will accumulate. Anytime there is an advisory we get paid to apply ice melt so I know we going out. However I don't want to be out without a plow and get a surprise

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never said that just said you go overboard on getting your point out. But moving on... I realize that and don't expect to plow much if any but if rates come in heavy it will accumulate. Anytime there is an advisory we get paid to apply ice melt so I know we going out. However I don't want to be out without a plow and get a surprise

I understand. BTW, I just looked at the 18z RUC and it now shows temperatures right at freezing or just below extending into the triad just before sunrise so the ice melt may be warranted after all. It will all depend on clearing skies before then.

HRRR not looking as good compared to earlier runs south of the boarder. Fairly consistent with the area just to the north of Roanoke Rapids getting a nice hit, but afraid it will be hit or miss type between the triad and triangle, not as widespread to maybe what we were expecting. Could be a situation where Durham gets largely missed with any accum potential and Albemarle-Asheboro sees a couple. Model is and has been keying in on some enhancement with a band between CLT & RDU around 8pm, largely weakens it thereafter as it comes through the triangle. 850 low is very broad and disorganized until it gets off the coast, not really a situation that supports good banding, more of the sporadic variety and likely waning by about 10pm.

oh, hmm. To me if you're in NC that area towards GSO is probably the best place to be. I woudl be surprised if someone doesn't get 3 or 4 inches, but I doubt it will accumulate much on the roads until after it gets dark. So there may be some slush later this evening (like 8 or 9),

Greensboro, Slushy roads I'll take that. Hope to get the go ahead to work.

GSP afternoon discussion

Near term /through Monday/...

as of 215 PM...a potent upper shortwave will cross the County warning forecast area this

afternoon/early evening...then a second shortwave right behind it

overnight. Meanwhile...a surface low will track just offshore the SC

coast to near the Outer Banks...deepening as it progresses this

evening/overnight. An associated deformation zone will pivot across

the NC mountains to the foothills/northwest Piedmont by sunset...with low level cold

advection ramping up. Snow levels should begin to rapidly fall to the

valley floors during the remainder of the afternoon hours into early

evening. Still expecting elevations above 3500 feet to pick up a quick

3-5" of snow...with the valleys generally 2" or less. East of the

mountains...a mesoscale band of heavy snow seems to be setting up in vicinity of

the Virginia/NC border. A changeover to snow is expected to gradually

shift south across the NC Piedmont. It still looks like snow rates

will be light to moderate across the I-40 corridor of the

foothills/Piedmont. With warm surface temperatures...I Don/T expect snow accumulate

to be more than generally 1-2" across most of the northern NC

foothills/Piedmont. Higher amts still possible in northern

Caldwell/Alexander counties. So with all that said...the current

warnings/advisories look sufficient for now.

Tonight...the shortwave and deformation zone will shift east of the

area late this evening...such that most precipitation will taper off by

around 2 am. Clearing skies and continued northerly cold air advection flow will allow

temperatures to drop below freezing across pretty much the entire forecast area by

daybreak Monday.

Monday...upper ridging and dry surface high pressure quickly builds into

the area. Temperatures rebound across the southern zones...but may be a tad cooler

in the mountains and I-40 corridor where snow is melting (a category or

two below normal north and near normal south).

Where are you at in High Point? Are you more towards the Forsyth County border? I am near Jamestown and didn't sleet any sleet.

I'm in Kernersville (close to Walkertown) near 66/158. Heard the exact same thing. Sleet for a few then back to rain.

For all the cliff divers out there

Thanks for the post burger. I made a post in the banter thread earlier saying this same thing. Our snow was never supposed to come for the slp. Our snow will be coming from the energy dropping down from the north. Who knows where the heavy bands set up but that's our best chance.

I'm off Johnson Street, near Sandy Ridge Rd.

The sleet was very brief, no more than a few minutes.

Oh, wow, I used to go to Southwest Guilford High School. I am familiar with that area. I live near the Rush Fitness Complex on Piedmont Parkway now near where Wendover and Guilford College Rd. come together.

I didn't notice any sleet here, but I could have missed it if it was brief. We're still holding at 34F, but we're not far. Hopefully, we can change over to some wintry weather by sunset. Or maybe the fives miles or so separating us was all that it took for me to see rain while you saw sleet.:)

Curious dynamics with this event. Frequent transitions between sleet and rain and the temps keep bouncing up and down by 3-4 degrees here at the house. Stiff wind out of the NE and the low level clouds are racing southeast. (Edit SW)

Thinking the heavier precip and inflow into a deepening storm is causing the rapid temp fluctuations as the warmer air aloft is forced downward and mixes out? Just a weenie guess. Maybe a met has a more logical explanation?

Archived