bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a pretty intense band that moved through Surry County. Now that it is exiting lets see how long it takes to melt. I bet 30 minutes from now it will all be gone.

Sure when it stops it's going to melt fast!!! But if we can get a solid 2or3 hours of heavy snow it's going to get slick especially after dark..... :wacko: persistent I say!

I seriously don't get all this talk about soil temps, and it is getting old. Does soil temps have anything to do with what falls from the sky? NO! Does soil temps have anything to do with how long what falls from the sky will stay on the ground? YES! Geez, what is the deal here? Of course soil temperatures 15-20F above freezing are going to limit accumulation impacts, it's common sense. If it snows hard enough, long enough then of course it will eventually cool the ground, but it's melting the snow from the ground up, thus limiting accumulation impact. End of story. If the mods want to delete this post then by all means do, and please delete all the other comments about it too! Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of reading about it as I'm sure others are.

I seriously don't get all this talk about soil temps, and it is getting old. Does soil temps have anything to do with what falls from the sky? NO! Does soil temps have anything to do with how long what falls from the sky will stay on the ground? YES! Geez, what is the deal here? Of course soil temperatures 15-20F above freezing are going to limit accumulation impacts, it's common sense. If it snows hard enough, long enough then of course it will eventually cool the ground, but it's melting the snow from the ground up, thus limiting accumulation impact. End of story. If the mods want to delete this post then then by all means do, and please delete all the other comments about it too! Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of reading about it as I'm sure others are.

Best post all week!!! :thumbsup:

Sure when it stops it's going to melt fast!!! But if we can get a solid 2or3 hours of heavy snow it's going to get slick especially after dark..... :wacko: persistent I say!

That's going to be the difficult as there is only about three more hours of potential in the foothills. the window of opportunity is already starting to close.

Awesome Dan. MBY is sitting at the bottom end on 37 degree. That is a 11 degree drop from 8am...

All liquid here.....

34 degrees and snow trying to take over as dominant precip type...I've been truly amazed at how this event has unfolded. If we could only get a good 6 hour window (after dark) it may accumulate.

I seriously don't get all this talk about soil temps, and it is getting old. Does soil temps have anything to do with what falls from the sky? NO! Does soil temps have anything to do with how long what falls from the sky will stay on the ground? YES! Geez, what is the deal here? Of course soil temperatures 15-20F above freezing are going to limit accumulation impacts, it's common sense. If it snows hard enough, long enough then of course it will eventually cool the ground, but it's melting the snow from the ground up, thus limiting accumulation impact. End of story. If the mods want to delete this post then then by all means do, and please delete all the other comments about it too! Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of reading about it as I'm sure others are.

I agree, and what in the world difference does it make if it accumulates to 2 inches or all melts? It's not like this is going to be a major event for most in this forum. It might accumulate while it's snowing but it's going to melt when it stops, and if not then, it will early tomorrow. No sense in griping or arguing about it.

In this animation, there is an east-west oriented band of rain in SC that seems to be moving south, though the individual showers are moving NE. Anybody know what's causing that effect?

just a guess but maybe something with the energy transfer to the coastal LP? I was wondering the same thing

Archived