amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea looking at the trends, things don't look good for WNC with the vast majority of the returns shifting into VA rather than eastward into NC. Don't be surprised though if we see reorganization of the precipitation when the s/w moves into central and eastern NC however as the system gets a kick from the shortwave to the west merging with our main system.

http://rapidrefresh....omain=t6&wjet=1

When is the low supposed to drop due south to central GA then transfer to the coast around SC/NC border?

Oh my! LOL. Seems to me that the problem all along has been a lack of cold air. On the models that has been the problem from the get go. I've learned that and that and that the EURO still rules the roost. The weather making part of the slp is further north than modeled - except the Euro. So, in the future if a strong cold high is not in place or moving there, I'm not buying.

A mixture going on here now as big wet "dobs" are mixing in. Hard to believe, but, the Temp. is 40! DP 38. So, quite a difference in elevation apparently as heavy snow is now falling above 2000 ft with the temp of around freezing there. NE winds are probably why it is this mild here in the valley as they downslope off the mountains just to my NE.

The mixed precip changed over to heavy snow in wise about an hour ago and covered everything in no time. Check this out.

Here's a cam shot there:

What I wouldn't give to see that here....I'm at 45, steady moderate rain, have had about 3/4" since last night. Would love to have the snowflakes mixing in and piling up like that, though.

yes mt. airy to winston we have several stops in those areas. i know it will freeze later tonight but didn't know if it would be worth putting plows on

oh, hmm. To me if you're in NC that area towards GSO is probably the best place to be. I woudl be surprised if someone doesn't get 3 or 4 inches, but I doubt it will accumulate much on the roads until after it gets dark. So there may be some slush later this evening (like 8 or 9),

yes mt. airy to winston we have several stops in those areas. i know it will freeze later tonight but didn't know if it would be worth putting plows on

I know you could care less about my opinion, but unless the skies clear before sunrise temperatures will not fall below freezing tonight outside of the mountains. The latest RUC keeps temps between 33 and 35 for almost everyone outside the mountains through 7am. Any slushy accumulations, especially on roads or parking lots will melt on their own by morning since it will be occurring from both the top and the bottom.

Archived