joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came in from checking the driveway and surprised to find it covered with maybe an inch of snow. Looked and found the development streets covered also. Didn't do snow board for more official totals as have been sick with flu. Light snow still falling with temp 31.5. Appear to have 2" minimum on deck. Can't wait to see the roads and drive cleared in the morning due to warmth of ground! :whistle: Tongue in cheek as I was still surprised how quickly back yard got covered with what appeared to be minimal melting.

I was out driving around about 90 minutes ago and the roads were much worse than I expected. I guess it was the sleet under the snow but it was much worse than driving in snow usually is.

On the board I've gotten 1 1/4" NW of High Point but it's melted/compacted to between 3/4 and 1" depending on the spot. Hopefully we can squeeze out a little more, not much more than flurries right now.

I don't have a snowboard out, so we may have more in line with what you have (not sure), but the snow has been very light lately, as you said.

Perhaps I can use the deck as my snowboard. I'll check it in a bit.

That was quick. Fast changeover from rain to mixed to snow, less than an hour. 32 and about a half-inch of snow in southwest Durham. Looks like it's actually stuck to our street but not to the cross street at the corner, which surprises me; I figured I'd see it accumulating on grass and cars but not on pavement. Light snow still falling.

I’ve got a big convective glob about to pass over my house. Anybody know what’s generating that? It would be snow if I didn’t have boundary layer issues. I think it’s above freezing here up to about 930mb. Maybe i’ll get lucky and see a flake if it’s heavy enough. It’s hard to tell how heavy it is b/c the GSP radar is in clean air mode.

For those who were patient, thanks! This event is playing out just as many would like. This was never going to be a BIG event but a nice one nonetheless. Meanwhile its cold and dry on Long Island.

Thanks for all your analysis, it's been great!

As a matter of fact thanks to all the Mets and Pro Forecasters for your input... And Mods you did a great job also!

Moderate snow near RDU/Leesville Rd area...grass, cars covered. Street is about 75% covered with light snow. Brother reported roads are bad (lots of slush) in Downtown Raleigh and he's slid around a few times already. He's reporting very heavy sleet.

Archived