joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I think a two-hour delay would probably suffice.

Based on texts from friends, those of us in the northern half of the county (especially in the northwest quadrant) have received more than elsewhere. I wouldn't recommend a school bus drive on my street in its current condition. It might look different in the morning perhaps, but the school system can afford to throw the kids a bone considering the winter we've had.

FXUS62 KRAH 200105

AFDRAH

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

804 PM EDT SUN FEB 19 2012

.SYNOPSIS...

-- Changed Discussion --

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE ACROSS THE AREA THIS EVENING. HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD IN FROM THE NORTHWEST IN THE WAKE OF THE LOW ON MONDAY BRINGING A RETURN TO DRY CONDITIONS.

-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 8 PM SUNDAY... ...POTENTIAL FOR LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS CONTINUES OVER PORTIONS OF THE AREA THIS EVENING INTO TONIGHT... THE SOUTHERN STREAM IMPULSE IS CURRENTLY MOVING ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA NOW. RADAR AND SATELLITE INDICATE THAT LOCATIONS GENERALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM SILER CITY TO RALEIGH TO WILSON STAND THE BEST CHANCE OF SEEING A QUICK BURST OF SNOW ACCUMULATION AS THIS FEATURE MOVES ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH 1100 PM. AFTER THE BAND/AREA OF PRECIP MOVES TO THE EAST... EXPECT THAT SHOULD GENERALLY BE IT FOR PRECIP IN ALL BUT THE NE. IT APPEARS THAT COMBINED SNOWFALL AND SLEET AMOUNTS WILL WILL GENERALLY RANGE FROM TRACE AMOUNTS UP TO 2 INCHES (MOST LIKELY NEAR THE NC/VA BORDER). HOWEVER... HAVE SOME CONCERN THAT THE NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH MAY BEGIN TO INTERACT WITH THE SOUTHERN STREAM FEATURE BY THE TIME THIS LAST BAND OF PRECIP BEGINS TO PIVOT NORTHEASTWARD AND INTO THE NORTHERN COASTAL PLAIN/FAR NORTHEASTERN PIEDMONT... GIVEN THE INCREASED DYNAMIC COOLING ASSOCIATED WITH THE POSSIBLE PHASING AND EXPECTED SLIGHTLY LONGER DURATION OF THE THE PRECIP. THE LATEST HI-RES MODELS SHOW THIS WELL... WITH THE BEST BANDING AND LONGEST DURATION PRECIP ACROSS OUR FAR NORTHEAST. THUS... WE COULD CONCEIVABLY SEE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF UP TO LOCALLY 3-4 INCHES ACROSS THIS AREA. CONFIDENCE IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH TO GO WITH A WARNING NOW... ESPECIALLY WITH TEMPS ACROSS THIS AREA IN THE MID TO UPPER 30S STILL. THUS... WILL CONTINUE THE CURRENT WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY AS IS... WITH THE POSSIBLY OF BLACK ICE AFTER THE PRECIP MOVES TO THE EAST/NORTHEAST OF THE AREA BY AT LEAST 06-08Z. THUS... DO NOT PLAN ON CANCELING THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY AFTER PRECIP ENDS... GIVEN THE POSSIBLE BLACK ICE NEAR SUNRISE AS IT CLEARS OVERNIGHT. FARTHER SOUTH... GIVEN THE LACK OF PRECIP AND COLD AIR CHASING THE PRECIP THERE... EXPECT MOSTLY RAIN... POSSIBLY ENDING AS A MIX OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS. LOWS BY SUNRISE ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM THE THE UPPER 20S NORTHWEST TO LOWER TO MID 30S SE. THUS... WE MAY NEED TO ISSUE AN SPS FOR LOCATIONS ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT AND WESTERN SANDHILLS IF SKIES CLEAR FAST ENOUGH TONIGHT AND TEMPS DROP BELOW FREEZING.

-- End Changed Discussion --

Based on texts from friends, those of us in the northern half of the county (especially in the northwest quadrant) have received more than elsewhere. I wouldn't recommend a school bus drive on my street in its current condition. It might look different in the morning perhaps, but the school system can afford to throw the kids a bone considering the winter we've had.

That is very true.

Guilford County (Greensboro and High Point) schools are closed on Monday for snow. Contrary to the earlier opinions of several non-mets, "significant" accumulations of snow did occur outside the mountains.

:snowing:

Those few posters have been negative this entire storm. It's okay to be wrong, but downplaying with every single post is quiet annoying.

We need to remember who they are so their negativity does not make others jump off the board for the next storm. Whenever that might be. Hundreds of wrecks in NC.

Quick update on observations here:

Light Snow

32 Degrees

Accumulation: 2+inches

EDIT - Wilkes County Schools go back on Wednesday. Does not look like this storm will impact schools here. Our snow-day-less school year continues, lol.

I was out driving around about 90 minutes ago and the roads were much worse than I expected. I guess it was the sleet under the snow but it was much worse than driving in snow usually is.

Snowing....surfaces already covered. Not sure how long it's been going on but I know less than 10 minutes.

Yeah, I just walked out to the road and it's slick. The heavy sleet did some damage to the roads. My brother drives a salt truck and plow for the Town of Cary and he just called me on his way into work.

Archived