• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

I got a flat tire, couldn't start the car at I-40 and MLK north of Chapel Hill. Had to wait for a taxi to pick me up. Roads were covered and it was coming down at a decent clip. Cold as **** and still shivering.

I actually feel bad for you about the tire and stuff. I am, however, so glad you got to see some snow. :)

Cars and grass are already covered. The snow is really coming down fast and hard.

Happy about your snow, too, Brick. :)

I’ve got a big convective glob about to pass over my house. Anybody know what’s generating that? It would be snow if I didn’t have boundary layer issues. I think it’s above freezing here up to about 930mb. Maybe i’ll get lucky and see a flake if it’s heavy enough. It’s hard to tell how heavy it is b/c the GSP radar is in clean air mode.

Don't you just hate that?

Cold rain here. It's okay, though. I'll catch the next one. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally switched to snow around 7:00 pm. Temp dropped from 37-32 in 30 minutes. Currently sitting at 30 degrees with the wind ripping out of the NW and snow is ripping hard right now. Looks like we may get a couple hours of NW flow and that is when we get hammered! Great to see most people cashed in on something today!

The storm is playing out just about exactly how I thought for most areas. Thinking the area from Roanoke Rapids to Ahoskie or so could be sitting pretty for several inches.

We have a legitimate dusting in the grass, perhaps a 0.5 inch. Still probably have another hour of moderate snow so hope to get to an inch. After that, we will see seom light snow untill shortly after midnight.

The returns over TN/KY/WV/western VA are weakening and we are seeing the coastal take over with the returns consolodiating over eastern VA/NC. Still think there will be scattered snow showers over western central NC/VA but probably not much in the way of additional accumulations east of the mountains.

Wow, listening to the scanner for Wake county and roads sound like they are a mess already. So much for that not sticking stuff.

From past experience with these, it seems like the snow usually sticks to the roads and it's a terrible idea to drive during the event. The main difference that the warm temperatures and high sun angle will make, though, is that the roads should melt off much quicker than they normally would, so I don't anticipate too many problems past mid-morning. Hell, the roads here melted off during the two-hour lull we just had.

For example, the 3/2/09 storm dropped 6" here overnight, but by 11 AM that morning, almost all the snow had melted off the road out front (which is untreated, mind you) and by evening there was hardly any snow left at all on the roads, even in shaded areas.

Congrats to those who are picking up on the action tonight...it's been a really frustrating winter for everyone. Maybe this can take a little bite out of that.

I'm hoping for one more chance in getting a storm in here but tomorrow is Feb 20th...the window is close to shutting.

Wow, listening to the scanner for Wake county and roads sound like they are a mess already. So much for that not sticking stuff.

I'd say...I just walked down the street and took this picture at a intersection in my neighborhood. Snow is sticking good to the roads.

post-1455-0-83986000-1329704539.jpg

Archived