joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 24-28 winter weather period

Ji

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, 0z Euro has a coastal starting during the day on the 24th and ending on the 25th affecting the entire eastern seaboard....big issues with precip type here...the sfc high moves east.....something to track....looks like a nice hit for central PA

As depicted by the Euro, it's definitely a 40 N storm (Central PA up through SNE). Not going to mean much down here, except for watching it rain while areas to the north get snow. Luckily, the Euro"s accuracy is not stellar past 5 days out. Unfortunately, things are more likely to trend warmer rather than colder from this point on. Anybody wanting a Christmas miracle better start calling in some favors now. :santa::snowing:

MDstorm

As depicted by the Euro, it's definitely a 40 N storm (Central PA up through SNE). Not going to mean much down here, except for watching it rain while areas to the north get snow. Luckily, the Euro"s accuracy is not stellar past 5 days out. Unfortunately, things are more likely to trend warmer rather than colder from this point on. Anybody wanting a Christmas miracle better start calling some favors now. :santa::snowing:

MDstorm

Euro and GFS have the same "general" idea....i dont expect much if anything here, but I will track this one...maybe HGR, etc can get something from the front end or the back end

Euro and GFS have the same "general" idea....i dont expect much if anything here, but I will track this one...maybe HGR, etc can get something from the front end or the back end

Looks like a New England event if we are lucky here...might be a NNE event. I am not optimistic on this one. Northern stream dominated event.

23rd-24th looks like a potentially interesting CAD event, with freezing rain/sleet to start before switching over to all rain as the upper low tracks over the Midwest in a Miller B type fashion.

I'm more interested in the 25th-26th as the energy sags into the Southeast and tries to develop a system along the baroclinic zone near the Gulf Coast. That could produce a decent snowstorm if not for us than for someone along the East Coast and along the Appalachians.

Euro and GFS remain quite different with the timing and placement of these systems... it'll be fun to watch things evolve this week.

6z GFS is all rain for Christmas Eve and then has the 26th storm OTS. The key to getting any sort of frozen precip on the 24th is we need to kill the inland storm and get all the energy transferred to the coast. The 6z never completely does that, so we're way too warm.

Justin Berk per Twitter put white xmas chances at 50%. Seems like a stretch right now

Here we go again.

I would consider sacrificing the rest of winter for a Christmas storm that began in the evening of the 24th and lasted until noon Christmas day. I'm not sure what my over/under for snow total and temperature would have to be, and I also know that when it comes to snow, I have the usual short memory of every other addict.

23rd-24th looks like a potentially interesting CAD event, with freezing rain/sleet to start before switching over to all rain as the upper low tracks over the Midwest in a Miller B type fashion.

I'm more interested in the 25th-26th as the energy sags into the Southeast and tries to develop a system along the baroclinic zone near the Gulf Coast. That could produce a decent snowstorm if not for us than for someone along the East Coast and along the Appalachians.

Euro and GFS remain quite different with the timing and placement of these systems... it'll be fun to watch things evolve this week.

Pretty much agree with your whole post. Both the 0z gfs and euro like the idea of pushing a low to our NW as a coastal gets going. Even with a -nao we have problems with that setup. With no block stand little chance to get any snow. It's going to be too warm at the surface and the ul's.

I've been watching the post xmas timeframe for a week now. Certainly looks to be out best chance. We won't know much until the evolution of the pre-christmas system is locked up. I like having energy lag behind like that. There should be a good bit of moisture associated with it when it starts it trek N. We'd probably be best served with a good brush of the northern edge and having it go out to sea and not staying close or going up the coast.

Justin Berk per Twitter put white xmas chances at 50%. Seems like a stretch right now

Wow,

with a posative nao the timing and track have to be perfect. Look at how from run to run, the models are swapping out solutions. I'm with Matt, I'll be watching but right now am not that excited about our chances.

Archived