joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 24-28 winter weather period

Ji

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, Euro's surface temps have run warm in the last few larger storms we've had. On the flip side, NAM has been cold. I'd take wraparound flurries/snow showers on Christmas day in a heartbeat.

it has but at 0z there was a rapidly deepening 1004mb low off de and this one there is a big broad 1016 low in the same area. the air mass leading into it is uber marginal.

if anyone up and down the coast reasonably thinks that kind of setup will work this year 5 days+ out, well....OK

i dont think anyone but weenies are going there. the sne mets all say it's not going to happen or they need a lot of luck. it's considerably easier to get snow in a bad pattern up north tho. either way down here you never want to bank on a northern stream storm till you see it on radar.

i dont think anyone but weenies are going there. the sne mets all say it's not going to happen or they need a lot of luck. it's considerably easier to get snow in a bad pattern up north tho. either way down here you never want to bank on a northern stream storm till you see it on radar.

yeah, I wish I had learned that fact 40 years ago

Decent cold push for 36-48 hours after the Xmas storm on the Euro. Obviously the 23-26th period has potential to be pretty stormy with several shortwaves moving through with a slim, but nonzero chance that one of them gives us some snow. I'd take that over 55F and sunny any day.

I would not spend too much time tracking this one...unless your in the New England forum. MA=Mostly Aqua

I'm somewhat confused over the differences between the xmas system and the southern slider on the 26th. The euro simply merges these two energies? The euro also supposedly brings the PV down afterwards, bringing in some arctic air.

idk- with the systems being so close together, it's hard to see anything as being accurate for the second system. Not saying that I expect much because I don't but the first system could help push down some colder air for the second low. I've been thinking about this small window for so long now that maybe I can will it to snow.

The chances of either the GFS or the Euro being right within plus/minus 7 degrees, and plus/minus 0.5" of precip one week in advance cannot be very high. Anyone want to post the 18z temp and previous 6 hour precip totals for IAD for next Monday from both models? We can run a little experiment.

Edit: The GFS for KIAD on Monday, Dec. 26 at 18z is a temp of 38 degrees and 0 precip in the prior 3 hours. If someone posts the EC, I'll list it here as well. We'll see how both models do.

get started.. we need some none hype hype since it's christmas

If Jason asks, I'll do one. The probability is probalby up to climo, maybe a tad higher which still is pretty low. I'd certainly bet against snow. Otherwise, If the old JB barks, then I'll write something. the only met that seems bullish is the new JB.

I just saw the euro @ D10. No cold air anywhere but what up with the closed low off the SC coast? I'll be in NYC for new years weekend. Maybe I can cash in on tourist snow.

I'm sure it's money.

Check out the Euro 10 day forecast for tomorrow morning and compare it to today's forecast for tomorrow morning.

Archived