amirah5
Dec 24-28 winter weather period

Ji

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:facepalm:

It's funny how tracking something on a weat

board to see how it evolves in comparison to the models, no matter how remote the possibilities for snow, results in snarky comments from certain individuals. But hey, if that's your thing, have at it. :whistle:

Guess you didnt read bob chills comment, but that's okay.happy holidays!!!

Hey, don't worry. Accuwx's Margusity says there's going to be about 2 feet of snow in the midatlantic in mid-February. Oh, and maybe some SN next weekend as well. Problem solved!

http://www.accuweath...next-week/59428

I just sent this link to the GFS...it apologized to all of us for spitting out the wrong data and is cooking up a different solution for next weekend

Hey, don't worry. Accuwx's Margusity says there's going to be about 2 feet of snow in the midatlantic in mid-February. Oh, and maybe some SN next weekend as well. Problem solved!

http://www.accuweath...next-week/59428

Good luck with the forecast, I'd certainly bet against anywhere around here seeing accumulating snow (or any snow) before the new year. I'd also bet against the big daddy storm since la nina's rarely produce major snowstorms in the mid atlantic but then maybe he is talking about new england. I do think we'll see snow in Jan and Feb but think reaching for a big daddy storm is well reaching. I guess it is a no lose forecast. If you miss it, no one will remember since it's so far out and if you hit it, you can trumpet the call.

Neither do I. But at least it does give us something to track in this dismal pattern that has some potential even though it is a long shot.

I am desperate, but this one is not even close...there is no cold air and there is a primary low over Cleveland....the entire euro run like the last 500 runs is awful....I was having nightmares about the loop...

I am desperate, but this one is not even close...there is no cold air and there is a primary low over Cleveland....the entire euro run like the last 500 runs is awful....I was having nightmares about the loop...

I've been able to sense your frustration by how you've reacted to the CWG forecasts and their sunny look at the warmth. The GFS and euro patterns as forecast remain horrid. The only good news is there are hints that the polar vortex might be weakening. That may allow for a break in the pattern later in January.

I have never really thought there was much chance for snow with this as well. I only brought up the models because the 06Z GFS was close to showing a possible snow solution and I figured it was something to throw around to kill the time. I didn't expect people to just assume that I was expecting snow from 1 run of the GFS and an off run at that. If they would have asked, without getting snarkey, I would have told them that I would expect the GFS to continue its trend towards the Rainy Euro and NAM camp which is hard to beat when in agreement.

I've been able to sense your frustration by how you've reacted to the CWG forecasts and their sunny look at the warmth. The GFS and euro patterns as forecast remain horrid. The only good news is there are hints that the polar vortex might be weakening. That may allow for a break in the pattern later in January.

I am probably taking some unnecessary frustration out on Jason and the gang. I understand you can't betray your readership to cater to a minority, and most people like warm weather. Even after the transition to the Post, CWG has been able to maintain quality and integrity. This is not a dumbed down blog. Not even close, so it gets under my skin and not just me, when during a horrid December I have to endure constant pandering to people who know nothing about weather. I am still a huge CWG fan and I promote it all the time, but the pandering and the daily digit have always gotten under my skin. The unique DC mindset that snow and cold are something to panic over and fear and hate has been encouraged and fostered by the media here for years. I don't think we need another media entity enabling this mindset. There is something very entitled and high maintenance about the people here. When it is 45 and brisk in the WINTER, there is nothing to apologize for. I don't know any other place where this behavior would not only be tolerated, but encouraged. DC needs to grow a set.

I am probably taking some unnecessary frustration out on Jason and the gang. I understand you can't betray your readership to cater to a minority, and most people like warm weather. Even after the transition to the Post, CWG has been able to maintain quality and integrity. This is not a dumbed down blog. Not even close, so it gets under my skin and not just me, when during a horrid December I have to endure constant pandering to people who know nothing about weather. I am still a huge CWG fan and I promote it all the time, but the pandering and the daily digit have always gotten under my skin. The unique DC mindset that snow and cold are something to panic over and fear and hate has been encouraged and fostered by the media here for years. I don't think we need another media entity enabling this mindset. There is something very entitled and high maintenance about the people here. When it is 45 and brisk in the WINTER, there is nothing to apologize for. I don't know any other place where this behavior would not only be tolerated, but encouraged. DC needs to grow a set.

I had a hard time getting into the Xmas storm article as I never thought it had much of a prayer and the only reason we wrote it is because of other media outlets hyping the supposed event. There's not much need for a winter weather guy when there is no winter weather.

I had a hard time getting into the Xmas storm article as I never thought it had much of a prayer and the only reason we wrote it is because of other media outlets hyping the supposed event. There's not much need for a winter weather guy when there is no winter weather.

There is something very irrational about my attitude, especially given that I am possessed with the knowledge that there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about this December here....even just going back to 1950, I don't think we'll crack the top 10 or barely if we do....in the 70s, almost every December was like this....I think it is just that for years I have waited for the feast/famine streak to break and it never does....ever....so despite the fact that I never thought this would be a great winter, there is still a sadness that comes with the reality that we are looking at another 8-14" winter or possibly worse.....and until we get that 1st event and get on the board, I always have this fear that it will never snow again here :(

.....and until we get that 1st event and get on the board, I always have this fear that it will never snow again here :(

Yea, I don't like waiting for the 1st event either. I consider 1" an event and we didn't stand much chance to squeeze that out. You spend all fall watching for any and every indication of what the winter is like and then you hit primetime on Dec 1st and here we are 23 days later with nothing eventful in the past or on the horizon.

It is what it is though and hardly uncommon but the waiting game is kind of a bummer. The constant waiting and watching model runs hoping for a pattern change that takes it good ole time. I remember posting a month ago about how horrid the pattern was but was no big deal unless we were still in the same boat in a month........well, it's been a month and here we are. blah!

There is something very irrational about my attitude, especially given that I am possessed with the knowledge that there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about this December here....even just going back to 1950, I don't think we'll crack the top 10 or barely if we do....in the 70s, almost every December was like this....I think it is just that for years I have waited for the feast/famine streak to break and it never does....ever....so despite the fact that I never thought this would be a great winter, there is still a sadness that comes with the reality that we are looking at another 8-14" winter or possibly worse.....and until we get that 1st event and get on the board, I always have this fear that it will never snow again here :(

I keep thinking that we should break the cycle. I't got to be a big climo oddity that we now are locked into either getting 40 inches or under 12. Back in the 60s, there were lots of 20 inch years and lots of 6-8 inch snows, both are now rare.

I keep thinking that we should break the cycle. I't got to be a big climo oddity that we now are locked into either getting 40 inches or under 12. Back in the 60s, there were lots of 20 inch years and lots of 6-8 inch snows, both are now rare.

On the plane yesterday, I had nothing better to do than reminisce about all the 6" events I can actually remember well. I counted 26 such events in Potomac, MD (Southern Montgomery County, just outside the beltway) out of 24 years. I don't have strong memories of the '79/'80 through '84/'85 winters, except for the 2/83 KU.

I know we got quite a few that DCA did not register as 6", such as 12/28/90, 2/95, 1/11/96, 2/97, 12/5-6/03... but it was interesting to me that within this period, we averaged about one 6" storm a year. In comparison, DCA picked up 16 such storms from November 1959 through April 1969. IAD records don't go back to 1960, but would of course show more. The data from the past 24 years totally fits into your statement about feast and famine, despite the average, because each of the feast years had three or more 6" events.

10 out of the 24 years had no 6"+ event. A few of the famine winters did see one solitary 6" storm (like 90/91, 94/95, 96/97, 08/09-- not going to count 99/00 as a famine year since we did exceed our average that season).

12z has a big low that tracks up 95 and then bombs out like crazy to 976mb near maine& new hamsphire at hr. 96

which model are you taling about??

The 12z Euro tries to triple phase (Yes, Triple Phase) 3 energy s/w's. The phase is not completely timed right and the surface low only gets its act together after passing through southern New England. Looks to be about 1000mb passing just SE of DC. 990mb around NYC and then really bombs to around 976mb around Portland,ME. All of this happening within a span of 12 hours. Definitely meets "bombogenisis" criteria.

Nobody even remotely interested in snow possibilities Tue night? A low forecast two days ago to go well to our west now forecast to go to our south then east?

I am...I thought it looked better on the 6zGFS...I think things are looking better but who knows..merry Xmas!

We are all jaded at this point dude.

We seem to stay that way with just brief interludes of positivity.

We need to remember how we felt on this date last year. One tiny snow to this point, and getting to watch a massive storm miss us. Afterward, seeing chance after chance pass us by until late Jan.

I think we end up luckier this year. We'll see.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Nobody even remotely interested in snow possibilities Tue night? A low forecast two days ago to go well to our west now forecast to go to our south then east?

I have been interested mostly because of the fact I am traveling Tuesday afternoon up to the in-laws just north and east of Pittsburgh. I have been liking my chances for seeing some semi-decent snow up there for several days now. Probably the best that can be hoped for with this setup down here though is some back-end snow flurries+showers in the far northern and western burbs as the low explodes to the NE. It will be interesting to see what the NAM starts throwing up there when it starts getting into the 36 to 48 hrs range.

We seem to stay that way with just brief interludes of positivity.

We need to remember how we felt on this date last year. One tiny snow to this point, and getting to watch a massive storm miss us. Afterward, seeing chance after chance pass us by until late Jan.

I think we end up luckier this year. We'll see.

Merry Christmas everyone.

We may need to end up luckier since the pattern is way worse than last years at this time.

Archived