amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 24-28 winter weather period

Ji

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The surface temp in C when it's precipitating is around 40, probably too warm for snow and for sure too warm for accumulating snow. Plus, it's still on its own.

I know but this season I will be thankful that it isn't going to be 60F on Xmas. If I may ask, on the 18z GFS 500mb 75hr chart, those two features in the north and south branch looking to collide had me excited thinking it would be good. Is that what we want to see only earlier and with more cold air? On that chart, Is that considered phasing? Thanks for your insight.

00z NAM interesting, holds back the s/w and at 84 a closed h5 reflection exists around the Mississippi River. Any met care to chime in?

It's embedded in a neutral trough which is going negative way before it has even hit the Mississippi river. I would think that setup would argue for that feature to run up north and west of us.

The Tuesday time frame is starting to look a bit interesting. The 00Z Euro and 00Z+06Z Nam (+06Z Extended Nam) are in pretty good agreement with both having a closed H5 low imbedded within a negative tilted trough at the Mississippi. This captures the surface low but with it being negatively tilted to early it brings it up just to the North and West of our area. Unlike the earlier runs of the GFS, which didn't have the trough capturing the surface low, the 06Z now has that occurring and with a neutral trough at the Mississippi it pulls the surface low to the South and East of our area. At this point the GFS is still just a bit to warm for anything meaningful though.

The rule of thumb is we want the trough to be neutrally tilted just east of the MS River and then go negative a few hundred miles farther east to be in a good position to go south of us or along the coast. Going neutral or a bit negative west of the MS River ==> cutter.

The rule of thumb is we want the trough to be neutrally tilted just east of the MS River and then go negative a few hundred miles farther east to be in a good position to go south of us or along the coast. Going neutral or a bit negative west of the MS River ==> cutter.

That is basically why the Euro and the NAM take this feature to the north and west with them already being negative tilted at the Miss. The GFS looks as if it holds that neutral look a ways beyond the Mississippi thus driving it quite a bit farther to the south and east putting the Northern MA on the very fringe.

The Euro has a colder profile to the north of the storm then the GFS does. Now whether that is a function of its more north and west track allowing it to tap into the colder air more readily I am not sure, but if you look at the NAM it is very similar in evolution and track and yet it's warmer temp profile matches more so that of the GFS.

The Euro has a colder profile to the north of the storm then the GFS does. Now whether that is a function of its more north and west track allowing it to tap into the colder air more readily I am not sure, but if you look at the NAM it is very similar in evolution and track and yet it's warmer temp profile matches more so that of the GFS.

:raining:

That's basically what they all show for the area at this time. Though the GFS might argue for some wet flakes mixed in for N Virginia in some of the heavier precip.

I don't expect it to bring us snow

Et Tu Brute?

Yup. I'm embracing the torch

No i didnt miss that part, i,m more realistic than you are.but go ahead and do your thing!!!!!

:facepalm:

It's funny how tracking something on a weather board to see how it evolves in comparison to the models, no matter how remote the possibilities for snow, results in snarky comments from certain individuals. But hey, if that's your thing, have at it. :whistle:

Archived