amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 24-28 winter weather period

Ji

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is a decent snow to rain event Christmas morning into Christmas day....there is nothing to keep the high from sliding to the east..but a lot of the precip falls before the changeover and NW burbs might not change over at all before it shuts off....verbatim, I think this would be a 1-3" event for FFX/MOCO....and maybe given the pattern this is the best we can hope for, so we should root for it if it keeps being advertised

from the New England forum....so keep that context in mind....he was referring to how the GFS phases so it's warmer and quicker and the Euro does not

HM, on 20 December 2011 - 01:35 AM, said:

And there you have just that on the ECMWF. The southern s/w doesn't quite phase and instead slingshots northeastward. Beautiful CAD / high pressure too. If this "almost a phase" scenario pans out, I would probably speed the solution up 6-12 hrs.

Euro is a decent snow to rain event Christmas morning into Christmas day....there is nothing to keep the high from sliding to the east..but a lot of the precip falls before the changeover and NW burbs might not change over at all before it shuts off....verbatim, I think this would be a 1-3" event for FFX/MOCO....and maybe given the pattern this is the best we can hope for, so we should root for it if it keeps being advertised

Yup--just saw the Euro and it is about as good as it can get given the pattern. I agree that, verbatim, it looks like a 1-4" event for the DC/central MD area. This is more likely to be right than the more phased wrapped up GFS solution. However, we are walking a very fine line here and I'm not sure I like being in this spot 5-6 days out. At least it shows what is possible in this time frame. Better get this shot in now because it looks like the first half of January will be dull around here. When the rubber band really snaps in mid-later January, I think we will make up for some lost time.

MDstorm

Yup--just saw the Euro and it is about as good as it can get given the pattern. I agree that, verbatim, it looks like a 1-4" event for the DC/central MD area. This is more likely to be right than the more phased wrapped up GFS solution. However, we are walking a very fine line here and I'm not sure I like being in this spot 5-6 days out. At least it shows what is possible in this time frame. Better get this shot in now because it looks like the first half of January will be dull around here. When the rubber band really snaps in mid-later January, I think we will make up for some lost time.

MDstorm

wh

where is the site for the euro maps you are using,

Thaniks

I'll take 1-3 in a heartbeat at this point.

Archived