amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 24-28 winter weather period

Ji

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the euro doesn't have the surface temps below freezing as far as I can tell from the Wundermap site.

Screw this winter.

Why the hell couldn't I be normal and not care about frozen water falling from the sky. Who does that? I look at normal people and wish I could be like them....couldn't care less if it rains, snows...a hurricane hits, etc. Out of all the hobbies in the world, this one picks me.

Even the euro doesn't have the surface temps below freezing as far as I can tell from the Wundermap site.

Yes. During the time the Wunderground maps show snow accumulating, it has surface temps in the 0-4C range. 850s are -2C or colder for folks north of DC and 0--2C for folks south of DC. Dewpoint 0C line goes from along I-95 to a Martinsburg WV-York PA line during the snow. The 850 low passes southeast of DC with the center going over a point north of Salisbury (just one baggy contour on the Wunderground maps that's pretty broad, but the center's there). The odd thing is that the Euro has southerly winds on the north side of the 850 low and has temps warming aloft as the storm passes. Not sure I get that.

Screw this winter.

Why the hell couldn't I be normal and not care about frozen water falling from the sky. Who does that? I look at normal people and wish I could be like them....couldn't care less if it rains, snows...a hurricane hits, etc. Out of all the hobbies in the world, this one picks me.

I am sure many here feel the same way. We know deep down that we are following a rainstorm right now, or heck....even a complete miss. But we are so desperate to see snow we will follow even the smallest hint of flakes. We will go through the same up, down, up, down emotions we have in the past, swear we won't fall for it again...but we all know, the next time even a hint of flakes are being shown... we will all be here doing it all again.

We are a bunch of freaks :lol:

I am sure many here feel the same way. We know deep down that we are following a rainstorm right now, or heck....even a complete miss. But we are so desperate to see snow we will follow even the smallest hint of flakes. We will go through the same up, down, up, down emotions we have in the past, swear we won't fall for it again...but we all know, the next time even a hint of flakes are being shown... we will all be here doing it all again.

Yeah, but we're a bunch of cool freaks. :pimp:

I can almost guarantee snow for Christmas. I won't be here. Lock it up.

Screw this winter.

Well we aren't the only ones who like snow a lot--you can see the inner weenie coming out in the general public whenever it snows.

...we are just the only ones who spend all day tracking events/non-events, stay up until 2am for the Euro when there is a threat and then get up at 4:30 for the GFS, and overall let it impact our day to day moods a lot of the time. ;)

Screw this winter.

you don't want to get emotionally invested in marginal, crappy pattern events, because they usually won't work out at all, but no reason to completely punt the threat unless a chance at a flawed mixy event isn't good enough for you.....looking back at some of our smaller events, particularly in NInas, some of the patterns and setups were awful....was just looking at 1/17/08..I got 2.5" before the changeover and it was like 37/38 at the onset of snow and it never dropped below 34 at DCA....precip lightened...it went to light rain and temp went back up....

a lot of our events are flawed, awful events....this probably won't even be that, but unless an event for you has to be an all snow event with temps below 32 that is well modeled, there is no reason to completely punt events as we are getting into a better climo period....

Just a reminder to folks that the PSUHoffman storm occured last year with surface temps above freezing the entire time (at least IMBY and at the airports).

quite a different storm but of course it can snow above freezing

you don't want to get emotionally invested in marginal, crappy pattern events, because they usually won't work out at all, but no reason to completely punt the threat unless a chance at a flawed mixy event isn't good enough for you.....looking back at some of our smaller events, particularly in NInas, some of the patterns and setups were awful....was just looking at 1/17/08..I got 2.5" before the changeover and it was like 37/38 at the onset of snow and it never dropped below 34 at DCA....precip lightened...it went to light rain and temp went back up....

Agree. At this point, I wouldn't mind an inch or two at most of snow before a transition to rain... just to see snow again would be nice -- even if it doesn't accum much

Agree. At this point, I wouldn't mind an inch or two at most of snow before a transition to rain... just to see snow again would be nice -- even if it doesn't accum much

that's good since DCA would probably average 8-10" if we didn't have those events at all...this is a horrible place to be snow lover, but particularly if an event has to be all snow with an antecedent cold air mass and a good track at all levels and substantial QPF

a lot of our events are flawed, awful events....this probably won't even be that, but unless an event for you has to be an all snow event with temps below 32 that is well modeled, there is no reason to completely punt events as we are getting into a better climo period....

I'm not punting anything, Matt. Just not getting overly excited about it. I am desperate for some flakes too, even a dusting right now will work for me. I'll take whatever Mother Nature decides to give us, be it 35 and rain with a mix to start/end or a sunny day. It is what it is, regardless I'll be here to track it. And the next one and so on.

that's good since DCA would probably average 8-10" if we didn't have those events at all...this is a horrible place to be snow lover, but particularly if an event has to be all snow with an antecedent cold air mass and a good track at all levels and substantial QPF

I really have dampened expectations this winter... so I know any snow will be a gift until the pattern changes which won't likely be till mid Jan. Also, I know that the majority of our snow comes in Jan/Feb, but I think the past decade we have been a bit greedy cause we get some snow in December

snow chase fail.

down here it's still partly reliant on how quick the storm wraps up. even on a good run it's not that strong. can't ignore the euro but also gotta think of how many times the northern stream has screwed us. sure, could get some front end either way tho a weaker sys also probably has less front end.

I think living in this area (balt/wash) is what actually makes me a snow lover. Many ingredients have to come together for a good snowfall. It doesn't happen all the time (sometimes not even all winter). The rareness of significant snow helps me appreciate when it does happen. If I lived near the lakes or in areas that get more days with snow than not, I probably wouldn't care as much.

I certainly don't like to see accidents/damage/injuries, but something about the chaos, anticipation, and overall disruption, that a significant snowfall causes, is quite thrilling to me. That probably wouldn't be the case in the northern areas where its more commonplace and just not a big deal to them.

I really have dampened expectations this winter... so I know any snow will be a gift until the pattern changes which won't likely be till mid Jan. Also, I know that the majority of our snow comes in Jan/Feb, but I think the past decade we have been a bit greedy cause we get some snow in December

i am not saying this event will be any snow at all...usually the marginal setups don't work....but people don't remember the 0.7" events because they aren't that memorable...even last winter we had some but most people won't remember the details since they were small events...the setups were different but do you remember January 8th? February 21st?...probably not, but I got almost an inch in both....the 1st was 2 days after 1/26 so people forget but we had a few hours of light snow mid morning with the temp rising into the mid 30s as the snow was winding down...the 2nd, it was in the mid 50s that morning and a strong cold front came through and we got snow later that evening into the overnight..How bout March 6th?...we got nothing, but there was a changover after a cold front came through and Ji-land got an inch or so with some of the higher hills getting much more..ask most of us about last winter and we will remember the clipper, the 1/12 cold snow event, the epic bust on 12/26 and the 1/26 storm and nothing else, when there were another 5-6 events that gave us snow....we are in the beginning stages of a climo period where stupid events in marginal setups occur....

down here it's still partly reliant on how quick the storm wraps up. even on a good run it's not that strong. can't ignore the euro but also gotta think of how many times the northern stream has screwed us. sure, could get some front end either way tho a weaker sys also probably has less front end.

Last week the GFS had a bit of an overrun showing for this week. I have been hanging onto that idea for a bit but the models have benn jumping around for which system it would hold for it. I'm sure for us to see anything we have to get the high to the north to stay put just a bit longer. Precip hasn't been much of an issue so far.

Archived