Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 24-28 winter weather period

Ji

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.erh.noaa....e_christmas.php

Says 16% for DC. 21% in Baltimore. But I stand by 15-25% when including most of the suburbs.

they're mixing stats to get those numbers.. but it's a stupid argument. if you go either or (official is 1"+ on ground at 7a) it's like 10% in DC and southeast and probably double in the nw suburbs. either way i doubt wes was implying there is a 15-25% chance of a white xmas.

they're mixing stats to get those numbers.. but it's a stupid argument. if you go either or (official is 1"+ on ground at 7a) it's like 10% in DC and southeast and probably double in the nw suburbs. either way i doubt wes was implying there is a 15-25% chance of a white xmas.

Well anyway...I'd put our odds at 5-20% across the region right now. 20% for places like Trixie's hood or PSUHoffman's. 5% for you and Wes and folks to the south. Maybe 10% IMBY.

GFS still has the 26th storm and has in a similar spot to 6z. Slides it off the SE coast, keeping the real precip out of our area. The s/w keeps a positive tilt too far east, we need it to go neutral just east of the MS River to get it closer to the coast. I'm ok with this solution 6-7 days out.

P.S. Given the lack of blocking and fickle cold air sources, we DON'T want a wound-up coast-hugging Nor'easter. The best solution to maximize snow for us is probably something that does slide off the coast, but does so farther north and gets 0.3-0.6" of liquid back our way before doing so.

GFS still has the 26th storm and has in a similar spot to 6z. Slides it off the SE coast, keeping the real precip out of our area. The s/w keeps a positive tilt too far east, we need it to go neutral just east of the MS River to get it closer to the coast. I'm ok with this solution 6-7 days out.

P.S. Given the lack of blocking and fickle cold air sources, we DON'T want a wound-up coast-hugging Nor'easter. The best solution to maximize snow for us is probably something that does slide off the coast, but does so farther north and gets 0.3-0.6" of liquid back our way before doing so.

In this situation (a la a La Nina), things have the tendency to trend northward, so with that in mind, I am also okay with the solution.

12z GFS ensemble mean is a little more interesting for the 23rd. Keeps a high over southern Ontario and doesn't drive a piece of the surface low up into the Lakes. Basically just takes a low off the VA capes. Still gives us all rain, but this is certainly closer to what it would take for us to get some frozen precip out of this. Any low driving up into the Midwest/Lakes = game over for us.

The mean also throws more precip back our way on the 26th. Will have to see the individual members in a bit, but looks like at least some keep the low close enough for snow for us.

Definitely a lot of spread on the individual ensembles, particularly for the 24th. Almost all the members have a very similar solution on the 23rd with the wave sliding off the VA capes giving us a chilly rain, biggest difference is timing. But the 24th, only 2 ensemble members (plus the Op) have a storm, one of which keeps all the energy on the coast and probably gives us snow. Most of the members have something for the 26th, with a lot of play in the details.

Definitely a lot of spread on the individual ensembles, particularly for the 24th. Almost all the members have a very similar solution on the 23rd with the wave sliding off the VA capes giving us a chilly rain, biggest difference is timing. But the 24th, only 2 ensemble members (plus the Op) have a storm, one of which keeps all the energy on the coast and probably gives us snow. Most of the members have something for the 26th, with a lot of play in the details.

I am expecting a chily rain for the first system on the 23rd. How is the 26th one? Lots of model spread? I

Archived