• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December General Banter

Gastonwxman

Hot off the iPhone camera, ~ 5 minutes ago, our African daisy is still blooming... Amazing, the one I planted spring 2010 was dead by last Nov, here we are this year, and the plant still has about 4 or 5 flowers, and lots of green. It is an annual, but I am interested in how long it will last, may take some teens to kill the sucker!

The detail of the greenery in the bottom left part of the picture is absolutely amazing for a camera phone. I have the iphone4, do you have the 4s?

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The detail of the greenery in the bottom left part of the picture is absolutely amazing for a camera phone. I have the iphone4, do you have the 4s?

Yeah, 4s, upgraded from a 3gs, snapped about 5 or 6 shots, unsure if this was the best as I just uploaded the first one, petals and anther are out of focus, maybe some lag with the shutter, shaky hand, but you are right, the leaves in the bottom left are good.

@ banter santa.gif

Can't wait for Christmas gang, having the extended family here for the first time, menu is planned, shopping is done, decorations are up, and counting down! Going with a modern/contemporary breakfast, non-traditional eggs benedict, english muffins topped with a little baby spinach, followed by some poached medium eggs, coarsely chopped thick cut bacon, homemade hollandaise, green onion, and grated parm for flavor. Served with a nice fruit medley and christmas blend coffee from the Fresh Market. A couple light h'orderves for the early afternoon, bacon/horseradish develed eggs and spring mix salad. Dinner, hopefully on the table around 4, standing rib roast, 1-7, USDA Choice from Sams, served with a tiger dill sauce, homemade mash, and a avocado and black bean salad with a mango/strawberry dressing.

Out of all this, what I am most looking forward to is about 30 minutes on the sofa, early Christmas morning, with the wife, a cup of coffee and the fireplace, enjoying the moment before all hell breaks loose, and I am kitchen-sided...

What time are we eating? tomato.gif Oh... I see 4pm. Standing Rib Roast is my very favorite, my mom always made that! Nice and rare please. santa.gif

Boy, You know things are looking up when there is only 18 members on Dec 14 after the 18z GFS!!! axesmiley.png

Have not seen yet Frosty, but RaleighWX gfs mems page has been updated and now include the panels after 192!!! Kudos to Allan, 12z members are interesting, may have to extend the period through the 28th...

Edit: just saw 18z, unimpressed with the op after truncation, 192 looks ok, but the 1036 HP centered in TX around Christmas is of Pacific origin violin.gif

2011121418_CON_GFS_500_HGT_ABSVORT_WINDS_192.gif

We are cooked through the end of the year. No sign of any real cold anywhere in lower 48. Everything looks like an early spring pattern. I think January and February will be very warm. This winter will be brief. I hope your A/C is ready

LOL......I always love it when people give up so easily. If you have ever played chess......It's the look on your opponent's face when you take his queen.....Priceless............Wake Up People!!....... It's still Fall until Dec 21st

LOL......I always love it when people give up so easily. If you have ever played chess......It's the look on your opponent's face when you take his queen.....Priceless............Wake Up People!!....... It's still Fall until Dec 21st

Well we are in meteorological winter already but I do agree with you. I think there would be more hope on this board if other places in the country were cold and snowy. Outside of the Rockies there really isn't anything in the way of winter weather or temps to be found right now.

I do laugh at those who are already giving up. As far as I'm concerned we are just having a normal SE December that is a little warmer than usual but nothing to write home about. It will eventually get colder and our chances of getting a nice winter storm or two will still come around sometime in January or early February which is typical for here. This isn't the Northern Plains where it should be cold and snowy already.

All that being said it is harder to get in the Christmas spirit with all this freakin' warm weather around. Bring on the cold!

Bastardi posted this on Twitter this morning:

@Bastardi: Major stratwarm starting will lead to severe cold developing in much of N america for mid and late Jan. push into east/south, later

If I read the hint right, it could be late Jan before the cold can beat down the ridge in the south and east.

Bastardi subscribers can get more detail on his subscription site.

Will this winter end up being remembered for a 2 week stretch of cold weather? I'll take 2 weeks over nothing!

astardi: Major stratwarm starting will lead to severe cold developing in much of N america for mid and late Jan. push into east/south, later

If I read the hint right, it could be late Jan before the cold can beat down the ridge in the south and east.

Will this winter end up being remembered for a 2 week stretch of cold weather? I'll take 2 weeks over nothing!

LOL! When did you ever have to read between the lines with JB? Hell, usually you have to put his analysis back between the lines.

Well we are in meteorological winter already but I do agree with you. I think there would be more hope on this board if other places in the country were cold and snowy. Outside of the Rockies there really isn't anything in the way of winter weather or temps to be found right now.

I do laugh at those who are already giving up. As far as I'm concerned we are just having a normal SE December that is a little warmer than usual but nothing to write home about. It will eventually get colder and our chances of getting a nice winter storm or two will still come around sometime in January or early February which is typical for here. This isn't the Northern Plains where it should be cold and snowy already.

All that being said it is harder to get in the Christmas spirit with all this freakin' warm weather around. Bring on the cold!

http://oneidalakeview.com/webcams/oneida+lake+view/first

Webcam to a Lake Effect snow belt area where my family owns some property in upstate NY near Syracuse, I'll save you some time it's all green and no white.. Usually there is snow on the ground this time of year, pretty anomalous. They average close to 30" in December alone and another 10" in November. They have gotten VERY little so far this season.

Winter started December 1st. By Meteorological record keeping standards we are on day 15 of winter.

Bold outlook for why Snow and cold are coming despite Warm Forecast. Sounds like your reading JB with all the pattern recognition, rubber-band terminolgy e.t.c. But it is a good read. Not sure who this guy/gal is that writes this post. Enjoy

http://weathermanusa.com/

Something has changed whether or not it is visible in the pattern. I totaled 6.22" of rain in Nov.. Half way through December I have only gotten 0.67".

@Bastardi: Major stratwarm starting will lead to severe cold developing in much of N america for mid and late Jan. push into east/south, later

Sounds like this winter will require a lot of patience. Late January is a long way away !

So I recognize that the pattern is unfavorable and the model verbatim is not even close to snow, but nevertheless I see the GFS has an overrunning event Christmas Eve/Christmas morning. We need some Christmas/ColdRain magic...santa.gif

gfs_namer_228_1000_500_thick.gif

If only that big H farting around in ID would be working into the Lakes area, then maybe.... :(

Ok, this anti-Joe Bastardi campaign has got to stop. It is immature and disrespectful towards a degreed meteorologist.

Anyways, we are now beginning to see a downward trend in the NAO and AO. The past 3 runs of the GFS's ensembles has shown the NAO and AO staying positive (X>12/18/11 day).

History of 45 days of the NAO and AO.

1.png

Those of us that have been around longer than you've been out of middle school have a reason to not respect what the man has to say 99% of the time.

Those of us that have been around longer than you've been out of middle school have a reason to not respect what the man has to say 99% of the time.

Why? Is it because of his ideology ? I am at a university now thanks. I think is it disrespectful to slander a man that has gone through college and has experience that far surpasses that experience of me and you. If you are going to slander/belittle someone please back your statements up. And don't give me that "Oh he was wrong on some occasions" Have you been wrong about something? We are all imperfect and that's reality.

Why? Is it because of his ideology ? I am at a university now thanks. I think is it disrespectful to slander a man that has gone through college and has experience that far surpasses that experience of me and you. If you are going to slander/belittle someone place please back your statements up. And don't give me that "Oh he was wrong on some occasions" Have you been wrong about something? We are all imperfect and that's reality.

A degree does not make you a good met/doctor/lawyer/teacher ect.. It takes more than a piece of paper to earn respect. I know some posters on this board who seem more knowledgeable and smarter than some degreed mets. The degree grants mets access to the field what happens after that is up to them.

This! Thanks Jeremy.

BTW, I hardly found what I said remotely disrespectful. Joe is seemingly a good guy and passionate about what he does. He has, however, pigeon holed himself into being the King of Weather Hyperbole. I take in account his forecast just slightly above the Farmer's Almanac. Pretty simply put, I read his forecast for entertainment value only.

Archived