wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I walked some more and the local damage is more extensive than I originally thought. Brookline from the intersection of Cypress and Washington up through Washington Square out to the townline near Cleveland Circle is without power and has been for much of the day. The C line hasn't run all day either. Not sure about other lines. Some very large trees uprooted all over town. Winds are gusting stronger again now but nothing like Noonish.

Been lurking in the thread all day amazed by all the report, but felt compelled to bring this report to it.

Sometime between 7:00 and 10:00pm a pretty good sized tree was blown over at the corner of Strathmore and Englewood in Brighton, MA.

I can't give an exact time as when I drove past it at 7:00 it was still up and when I got back from a damage tour of Roslindale and West Roxbury for a local paper at 10:00 it had been blown over.

If I had to guess it was sometime after 8:30 as there were a few strong gusts around at at that time.

I had a plow go by earlier today too. That's a first for me in August...Couldn't believe it, but makes sense to use them

You'd think that would wreck the blades, but I guess not. I remember watching WMUR back in April '07 when the Hampton DOT was plowing rocks and sand off the road following the nor'easter...must not be that uncommon after these sort of things.

You'd think that would wreck the blades, but I guess not. I remember watching WMUR back in April '07 when the Hampton DOT was plowing rocks and sand off the road following the nor'easter...must not be that uncommon after these sort of things.

Maybe with the taxes here they can afford a blade or too. I hope so anyways. I remember my grandfather telling me he watched them do the same thing in hampton. Probably 1907 not 2007 though lol.

Winds still going pretty darn strong here. Nothing like earlier but different direction and about 20 degree colder air temp so it does kind of remind me of the winds after an early fall nor easter. All in all im happy to have made it out with no damage to the house and only losing power for no more than 10 seconds total, 8 of those being in the last hour or so.

Just got the power back here after it being out for about 20 hours, thought it would be out for almost a week. Irene was impressive from a rainfall stand point although winds were not incredible here but that was to be expected. Picked up a total of 6.3" of rain and exceeded October 2005 with a monthly rainfall total of 14.42", beating 10/05 by two tenths of an inch.

I-91 N & S still closed for a 10 mile section between Greenfield and Northampton. Worries about structural integrity of newly renovated bridge over Deerfield River.

If that needs repairs it will cause huge headaches.

I'll be out and about today and will hopefully post pics of water damage.

I'm still trying to confirm reports of several houses destroyed along Green River. At least 2 dams are gone.

More than half of national grid customers in RI/ SEMA w/o power, they stated that if you don't have power by late afternoon expect 2-5 days of blackouts. too many trees uprooted in Seekonk lost about 15 just in my small neighboorhood of 40 houses, trees blocking roads and debris everywhere. Can't even find a dunkin donuts, 2 days no coffee when will the madness end!!!

More than half of national grid customers in RI/ SEMA w/o power, they stated that if you don't have power by late afternoon expect 2-5 days of blackouts. too many trees uprooted in Seekonk lost about 15 just in my small neighboorhood of 40 houses, trees blocking roads and debris everywhere. Can't even find a dunkin donuts, 2 days no coffee when will the madness end!!!

Starbucks Via instant brew (the iced is fantastic imo) to the rescue?

no coffee is where I draw the line yikes.png

No power on aquidneck island. Two poles down on main trunk line onto island on montaup CC. Work at navy base. They r in contact with NG and sent email that island would have power by 1030. Still no power at my house @11r0

Archived