• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

No doubt...Irene was good in Falmouth. I was at the Heights and Menhaunt (sp) Beach and getting rocked with 40+ sustained. I didn't want to overplay the winds but they might have been sustained over 50 even up to 60.

Also agree with Katia...it's going to be a threat, at least. Bermuda, Maritimes, NE, MA, SE Coast/FL....someone may eventually deal with it.

1938 redux?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, I'm back, after 24 hours without power...... As Irene pulled away last night it really felt like the back side of an Autumn storm with showers and temps falling down through the 50's on gusty nw winds. Then it cleared out, calmed down and settled at 50F for the low. Today was a stellar day and only hit 67.5 despite 100% sunshine.

straightened that out for you

It's gonna be a long time in Conn. Even if they could take care of 100,000/day (probably an overly optimistic estimate) that's still going to take 'til next weekend.

Ya unfortunately so. More places began getting power here, but I'm guessing it may take at least another day or two.

This is ridiculous.

No power....no reception.... gotta drive 5 minutes away just to get power.

Trees down all over the place.

If anyone lives in the area.... go on little pond county in cumberland, ri..... looks like a tornado hit .... trees...poles...electrical wires everywhere... and of course, no one there to block the road.

It certainly caused a lot of destruction, but it was not a hurricane hit on SNE, hit as a tropical storm. Now 20 years since the last hurricane landfall. I'd rate this about on a level with the Floyd situation up here.

So I guess we are still "due" after 20 years and counting....

lol

I doubt Irene "is it" for 2011...though I guess anything is possible. There should be at least one prerequisite cat5 in the gulf anyway. :scooter:

This is ridiculous.

No power....no reception.... gotta drive 5 minutes away just to get power.

Trees down all over the place.

If anyone lives in the area.... go on little pond county in cumberland, ri..... looks like a tornado hit .... trees...poles...electrical wires everywhere... and of course, no one there to block the road.

I can relate

will and i had a pretty good time out and about. at one point clocked sustained at 54 G 64 mph. was ripping pretty good.

peak Gust at HYA of 66mph, FMH of 71 mph. most certainly 'cane force gusts at the shore at that time.

lots of trees down, wires etc.

carol, edna in 54...

irene, Katia '11?

I was hoping you guys got some good stuff. Sounds like fun. Where did you end up going too?

I wonder what century the US will finally start burying the lines in heavily foliated residential areas.... Most of western Europe did it several decades ago.

Some places do...but seem to be few and far between. Problem is mostly new developments...nobody spending the time and money to "retrofit". My parents in PA are underground...neighborhood built in mid 1990s. Same with our rental in Albany. We're one small street, ~10 duplexes, built mid 90s, buried lines. It's nice, but pointless when rest of the neighborhoods around are still above ground. Would be curious in this scenario how much mone would be saved in CT the next couple of weeks if lines were buried. Half the state without power for a week is a big economic loss...not to mention cost of repairs.

15 hours of storm duty today. Found 3 open fuses. This is going to take a while, especially for CT. Any piece of tree hits a wire, fuse goes, circuit goes.

Outages away from the shore and west of the river seem to be pretty sporadic. I was fortunate to get power back within the first 50K being restored even though only 15% of the town was out. My logic was illogical I guess. I thought they'd leave us until near the end especially since I live in a rural area. My dad was not so lucky to my south his street is completely out with no timetable for return in sight. I guess there was a big explosion of a transformer and they're still trying to figure out how they'll go about fixing it.

Check out this National Grid outage map. The number of small outages (IE one block, street etc.) in the greater Capital Region (Albany) boggles the mind.

National Grid Outage Map

You might have to scan to the right area on map. And this is 2 days later...

Some places do...but seem to be few and far between. Problem is mostly new developments...nobody spending the time and money to "retrofit". My parents in PA are underground...neighborhood built in mid 1990s. Same with our rental in Albany. We're one small street, ~10 duplexes, built mid 90s, buried lines. It's nice, but pointless when rest of the neighborhoods around are still above ground. Would be curious in this scenario how much mone would be saved in CT the next couple of weeks if lines were buried. Half the state without power for a week is a big economic loss...not to mention cost of repairs.

I wonder what century the US will finally start burying the lines in heavily foliated residential areas.... Most of western Europe did it several decades ago.

Hilton Head Island is 42 square miles in size, and they are putting all lines underground. This is a 15 year project, and we are 10 years into it. We have a special tax for this work. Now, that being said, think about how difficult it would be to put wires in large areas of the coastline underground. It would take many decades I would think as we would be talking thousands of square miles. The upside is that tourism wouldn't take as much of a hit as shore communities would get back on their feet sooner, so an eventual payoff is there.

I heard that some areas around Hatteras are underground now and they didn't lose power! Meanwhile we get hit by a tropical storm up here with max gusts in ALB 60 mph tops and half the region lost power.

Hilton Head Island is 42 square miles in size, and they are putting all lines underground. This is a 15 year project, and we are 10 years into it. We have a special tax for this work. Now, that being said, think about how difficult it would be to put wires in large areas of the coastline underground. It would take many decades I would think as we would be talking thousands of square miles. The upside is that tourism wouldn't take as much of a hit as shore communities would get back on their feet sooner, so an eventual payoff is there.

I heard that some areas around Hatteras are underground now and they didn't lose power! Meanwhile we get hit by a tropical storm up here with max gusts in ALB 60 mph tops and half the region lost power.

more about Hilton Head project cost, etc...

Palmetto Electric and Santee Cooper have buried 20 miles of main feeder lines and over 55 miles of secondary lines. By 2014, all of the power lines on Hilton Head Island will be underground. According to Dan Wood, operations manager for the Hilton Head district office, the project is 38% complete and will continue for another 9 years.

The cost of the project is approximately $ 35,000,000 and is being paid for by a franchise fee that is collected on the power bills of Hilton Head Island co-op members. This small monthly expense is barely noticed on a monthly power bill but will have a Huge Impact on the aesthetics of Hilton Head Island. Besides the natural beauty that will be preserved, placing the lines underground are very important in areas that may have storms or flooding. It allows for easier access to equipment and faster restoration of power.

So, it costs less than a $1M per square mile and you get these benefits.

Well the asthetics are another thing... I bet the was a driving factor in a place like Hilton Head with all of the wealthy people, etc. The mass of tangled power lines in so many commercial districts in this country is just grotesque looking. It got even worse with cable tv lines, etc.

But the practical/cost argument will probably win over more people in the rest of the country.

more about Hilton Head project cost, etc...

Palmetto Electric and Santee Cooper have buried 20 miles of main feeder lines and over 55 miles of secondary lines. By 2014, all of the power lines on Hilton Head Island will be underground. According to Dan Wood, operations manager for the Hilton Head district office, the project is 38% complete and will continue for another 9 years.

The cost of the project is approximately $ 35,000,000 and is being paid for by a franchise fee that is collected on the power bills of Hilton Head Island co-op members. This small monthly expense is barely noticed on a monthly power bill but will have a Huge Impact on the aesthetics of Hilton Head Island. Besides the natural beauty that will be preserved, placing the lines underground are very important in areas that may have storms or flooding. It allows for easier access to equipment and faster restoration of power.

So, it costs less than a $1M per square mile and you get these benefits.

Well the asthetics are another thing... I bet the was a driving factor in a place like Hilton Head with all of the wealthy people, etc. The mass of tangled power lines in so many commercial districts in this country is just grotesque looking. It got even worse with cable tv lines, etc.

But the practical/cost argument will probably win over more people in the rest of the country.

to put it into personal terms, the cost is about a $1,000 per person for the 15 year project. That comes out to roughly $60/year per person or $5/month on your bill. If the utility had to spend $15M after a hurricane to fix the lines, you'd still end up paying through your utility bill AND you'd still have the ugly lines and future problems. Seems like a no-brainer for most communities, but they'd need to sell the long term. Unfortunately, most people seem to have the attention span of a fly.

Actually I would say that around here the biggest culprits are ice storms and heavy wet snow events, moreso than hurricanes. We have our power lines torn apart at least every few years. Probably more frequently than Hilton Head does....

to put it into personal terms, the cost is about a $1,000 per person for the 15 year project. That comes out to roughly $60/year per person or $5/month on your bill. If the utility had to spend $15M after a hurricane to fix the lines, you'd still end up paying through your utility bill AND you'd still have the ugly lines and future problems. Seems like a no-brainer for most communities, but they'd need to sell the long term. Unfortunately, most people seem to have the attention span of a fly.

Actually I would say that around here the biggest culprits are ice storms and heavy wet snow events, moreso than hurricanes. We have our power lines torn apart at least every few years. Probably more frequently than Hilton Head does....

agreed. We only had mild damage from Floyd and before that David in 1979. But, it's always cheaper to plan ahead than to pay as you go. Hopefully, you folks up in Albany can muster enough support to start and finish a discussion on this subject. I'd be happy to help you in any way, as I know the lead inspector for this project.

Ryan...I hope someone in the media will start asking tough questions of CL&P as to why the map here looks like the one below and western Mass. just to the north has FAR fewer outages along with the Berkshires which saw higher winds and more flooding problems. Especially in eastern CT, it's really uncalled for at the levels that they have. I can't speak for other towns, but I haven't one utility truck in my town in three days. Stafford has over 2,000 outages right now and just 5 miles to the north they have less than 100.

I hope you can bring this up to someone....it's time CL&P got asked some tough questions. This happened during Gloria and there was a big discrepancy then and they said they would improve it....they obviously haven't.

Archived