wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing spectacular local, but the house I'm building up north experienced between 6-10" of rain. Major flooding in the Waterville Valley area. Roads closed RT's 49 and 175.

Radar storm totals:

I guess that makes WV an island unless you can get out on tripoli road north (seems slim to none)

spent awhile walking around streams and cc ski trails there just a week ago

must be absolutely raging now

one thing your post triggered my memory on, I noticed Corchran's pond dam was raised with plywood that was bowing badly. Have to wonder how that little dam (near town square) fared under such increased flow

It's awful. What's unfolding up in W MA/ VT/ NH is bad as well. I think the rain/flooding/surge aspect of this storm was overlooked. I think everyone gravitates to the wind aspect with TC but this one was different.

Between 5-6" of rainfall today up here... still raining. Rivers and streams are creating new bank widths... amazing erosion going on.

Talked with my folks in Marshfield, they lost about 10 trees on their property with 3 actually onto their yard. Granted they are surrounded by woods, but that's pretty good.

Most, if not all of town without power.

I haven't heard about my condo, but hope I didn't lose any trees either.

Damage on the shoreline worse than I thought now that I'm hearing more from friends/family in CT. Lots of places that haven't been touched since 1938 are destroyed including restaurants, homes, etc. Lots of flood damage from storm surge even well inland on tidal rivers.

My parents neighborhood in Guilford has more trees down then they can count including trees on houses, cars, and virtually every road impassable.

Yea i'm one town over to the west of Guilford.. its nasty. About half the roads have at least a tree down on them. We lost about 12 trees in our area alone!! Almost all of the town is without power (got a call from town about it.) Oh yea and not to mention there has been at least 4 houses with moderate damage due to trees falling down on them. At one point during the storm, one of the main roads here had trees down on both ends blocking road. Had to use snow plows to clear the trees! Wild weather.

I'm back finally....some crazy winds out there. I'll say I'm very disappointed to see this thread derail into the ethics of meteorology. There is zero place for that in the forecasting side of the forum....go to OT.

Anyways, back on topic....we got some impressive readings. 63mph with the handheld anemometer, which of course would translate to hurricane force on a real one 30 feet high would think fairly comfortably. We had sustained at 54-58mph too. We were only able to go for a few moments at a time in the wind so I am sure we didn't capture the peak gusts that came through, so getting 63mph on the ground was quite impressive. The wind really ramped up around 20z like we suspected before hand.

The coolest part was that we had bright blue sky for the first part of it before the clouds and squally weather moved back in. Phil tried to take some video of me that he will probably post on youtube, but the wind made it difficult and he was having trouble keeping balanced during it. A good chunk of the Cape is without power. We drove through a ton of intersections where traffic lights were out. Phil's place had no power when he dropped me back here, so I assume he still doesn't, but amazingly just around the corner, I have power here.

I was quite amazed at how high the water was in spots, even at low tide. I think there will likely be problems ongoing now as the tide comes back in.

I'm back finally....some crazy winds out there. I'll say I'm very disappointed to see this thread derail into the ethics of meteorology. There is zero place for that in the forecasting side of the forum....go to OT.

Anyways, back on topic....we got some impressive readings. 63mph with the handheld anemometer, which of course would translate to hurricane force on a real one 30 feet high would think fairly comfortably. We had sustained at 54-58mph too. We were only able to go for a few moments at a time in the wind so I am sure we didn't capture the peak gusts that came through, so getting 63mph on the ground was quite impressive. The wind really ramped up around 20z like we suspected before hand.

The coolest part was that we had bright blue sky for the first part of it before the clouds and squally weather moved back in. Phil tried to take some video of me that he will probably post on youtube, but the wind made it difficult and he was having trouble keeping balanced during it. A good chunk of the Cape is without power. We drove through a ton of intersections where traffic lights were out. Phil's place had no power when he dropped me back here, so I assume he still doesn't, but amazingly just around the corner, I have power here.

I was quite amazed at how high the water was in spots, even at low tide. I think there will likely be problems ongoing now as the tide comes back in.

He is in fact still without power.

Damage on the shoreline worse than I thought now that I'm hearing more from friends/family in CT. Lots of places that haven't been touched since 1938 are destroyed including restaurants, homes, etc. Lots of flood damage from storm surge even well inland on tidal rivers.

My parents neighborhood in Guilford has more trees down then they can count including trees on houses, cars, and virtually every road impassable.

The shore is a disaster, the beach has completely rearanged. Still standing water as of 8 pm, I am thinking the surge was more like 9 ft after measuring high water marks vs sea level.

Hope your family and friends are safe, unbelievable to see entire homes gone, just gone on long island sound

On a side note, even though I wasn't able to contribute much being on vacation...it was really fun to follow. I should thank Will, Phil, Kevin, Ray, Ryan for dealing with my annoying texts and keeping me informed. It killed me to not know what was going on.

Hope all are ok and people are safe and sound.

I'm sitting here with windows open enjoying the drier and cooler air filtering in thinking about what an eerie feeling it must be tonight in most of CT where the chaos of the day has given way to a crisp, cool, dark, and quiet night...other than the likely sound of distant generators humming away.

It was like that in '08

Still quite a wind out here, temps in the 50s now,

This was a fascinating event, and I really hope the mets can distill the reasons for Irene's behavior and put it into terms I can understand.

Wind really roaring again due to that LLJ... RUC kept pegging the 10pm-3am timeframe to rip in ENE again.

Another thought. The way this year is going, it wouldn't surprise me if we get another hurricane threat this year. It seems as though, when we have a pattern in place, events seem to repeat a couple of times before the pattern is over. Although its 10 days out, another 'cane is forming off of Africa.

Archived