gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My town and neighborhood got rocked, huge trees, telephone poles down. We lost 3 trees and tens of branches. The entires electrical service pole was ripped off the house, ruin the soffitt, gutters and electrical box. Work is a disaster, no power, all mains shut off due to single phasing, running emergency systems on generators. Had to come home to deal with this. Awesome storm weather wise. I talked to Kev, says hi.

trails must have taken a beating. Just back from the ice storm and now this. urgh.

btw, is that Tekoa under water I keep seeing on WWLP? Must be, only course on the river I'm aware of. My old home course.

I'm sure Tekoa is underwater. The amount of water that has come down is amazing. We drain out very quicly due to the steep terrain. Those downstream communities are going to have a rough night.

Really Ray? Here I was under the impression that people controlled the weather and that pigs could fly. I'm surprised that someone as intelligent as you fails to see the point. Of course we all love the weather and extreme weather is fascinating. The discussions that revolve around sound scientific principals are great. It's also great to speculate based on prior experience, those discussions serve a purpose. However, when the tenor of the conversation morphs into openly hoping for death and destruction to rain down upon your community a line is crossed. Treating the onslaught of mother nature like some beer swilling WWF fan is what is truly foolish Ray. You're right, this is a weather forum, but that does not mean boorish behavior should be tolerated. When people pray for deadly weather to beset them it tells me they really know very little about the fury of nature. Thanks for the well wishes, fortunately we're just fine but I have neighbors that have been severely impacted. It's not fun seeing people you know in distress and really, in your heart of hearts you must know it's not cool to "wish" for a hurricane to visit destruction upon yourself or others.

Surely you're intelligent enough to perceive the facetious undertone, there.

The underlying message that I was trying to convey is that nature is an independant variable....enjoying extreme whether musn't be interpreted as "wishing death and destruction upon others" ...it's simply rolling with the punches.....disasters will happen, so may as well go about deriving pleasure from life's passions .

What is a dependant variable is the level of preparedness of the general public and each of us play our own individual, small role in that. I do understand your frustration, though

Medical examiner's have passions...shall we chastize them for wishing death on folks....where do we draw the line.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but not sorry that I experienced some cool weather.

We're safe at my house. Green River Rd is well above the river but I've heard houses were washed away further up in Colrain.

You can't believe what the water is like around here. There will be stunning accounts coming out the next few days from W. Ma.

Greenfield, Deerfield, Shelburne Falls, Brattleboro VT all being hit hard.

Shelburne Falls

Brattleboro

I find this issue of whether we should wish for bad storms as being a useless argument. Hey we all enjoy extreme wx here. Pete certainly also enjoys extreme snowstorms and yes people sometimes get killed in accidents, shoveling snow, roof collapses under the weight of the snow, etc. Apparently he doesn't get into hurricanes and that is fine, but I certainly understand how people find it fascinating. One way to measure the true intensity of a hurricane is gonna be the severity of the damage....

We don't cause a storm by hoping for it. It's silly to develop a guilt complex over it.

The underlying message that I was trying to convey is that nature is an independant variable....enjoying extreme whether musn't be interpreted as "wishing death and destruction upon others" ...it's simply rolling with the punches.....disasters will happen, so may as well go about deriving pleasure from life's passions .

What is a dependant variable is the level of preparedness of the general public and each of us play our own individual, small role in that. I do understand your frustration, though

Medical examiner's have passions...shall we chastize them for wishing death on folks....where do we draw the line.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but not sorry that I experienced some cool weather.

Medical examiner's have passions...shall we chastize them for wishing death of folks....where do we draw the line.

Again, if a Medical Examiner went around saying "Oh how I hope there's a hideous accident that sends me many fresh bodies" I would think he should be excoriated. It's one thing to "roll with the punches" that is the very nature of life, but it is quite another to express disappointment that Irene didn't make landfall as a CAT3 hurricane. That is the sentiment of feeble minded people. For the record nothing has happened to me, everything is fine. While I was in awe of the magnitude of the prolific rains and fascinated by tracking Irene I would gladly give up having experienced "cool weather" if it meant I didn't have to help coax a scared and frail elderly couple out of their house for fear it was about to be washed away. The human impact is far more compelling to me than being able to say " Cool man, that was an awesome wind gust and how 'bout those flooding rains". That's kid sh*t.

Epic flash flooding up here... early this morning when the rain began this thing was about 20 feet wide and ankle deep. The West Branch here drains all of Mount Mansfield's eastern side and it flows down into the village of Stowe. I have never seen a river go from 4-6" deep and barely moving to a swift, deadly, torrent in such a short period of time. It is still raining hard and this thing is in the process of taking over the village of Stowe.

There are whole trees (root systems and all) floating past my house right now.

Again, if a Medical Examiner went around saying "Oh how I hope there's a hideous accident that sends me many fresh bodies" I would think he should be excoriated. It's one thing to "roll with the punches" that is the very nature of life, but it is quite another to express disappointment that Irene didn't make landfall as a CAT3 hurricane. That is the sentiment of feeble minded people. For the record nothing has happened to me, everything is fine. While I was in awe of the magnitude of the prolific rains and fascinated by tracking Irene I would gladly give up having experienced "cool weather" if it meant I didn't have to help coax a scared and frail elderly couple out of their house for fear it was about to be washed away. The human impact is far more compelling to me than being able to say " Cool man, that was an awesome wind gust and how 'bout those flooding rains". That's kid sh*t.

You have to seperate the two because the human element is out of your control.....I do agree that explicitly wishing for death and destruction is uncalled for, though....no one really does that. Kev is not serious when he does that and anyone who knows him can tell you that.

I would have loved to have seen a cat 3 and if you feel that renders me small minded and sadistic, then so be it...my real friends know neither to be the case.

That being said, I am relieved to still have power, so I can take solace in that

BTW, can't say I really take a vested interest in a great deal of fresh water flooding....more the surge and wind....and many folks who live at the beaches know the risk they run when moving there.

I find this issue of whether we should wish for bad storms as being a useless argument. Hey we all enjoy extreme wx here. Pete certainly also enjoys extreme snowstorms and yes people sometimes get killed in accidents, shoveling snow, roof collapses under the weight of the snow, etc. Apparently he doesn't get into hurricanes and that is fine, but I certainly understand how people find it fascinating. One way to measure the true intensity of a hurricane is gonna be the severity of the damage....

We don't cause a storm by hoping for it. It's silly to develop a guilt complex over it.

Of course not Rick. I guess I really objected to people belly aching that there wasn't enough destruction occuring. I'll try to desist now but I really thought none other than the honorable Mica Vim Toot had it right when he called them ghouls.

Of course not Rick. I guess I really objected to people belly aching that there wasn't enough destruction occuring. I'll try to desist now but I really thought none other than the honorable Mica Vim Toot had it right when he called them ghouls.

Maybe my earlier point was glossed over, but death and destruction is a necessary component of life if we are to have creation...everything happens for a reason...this is what keeps the universe in harmony.

Hey guys.. I don't post here very much... I usually just sit back and read.

I'm pretty sure this is intended to be an observations thread, not a place to debate the ethics of meteorology. That conversation has been filling the thread with nonsense for hours.

#justsayin arrowheadsmiley.png

68.9\67

Wish we gusted to 110, as oposed to 60.

People just wanted to see a more powerful storm. This is a weather forum, what do you expect? Do you expect people not to want to see interesting and anomalous storms on a weather forum? You continually root for huge snowstorms despite the fact it costs the economy millions of dollars, causes a multitude of car accidents, etc. Why don't you feel guilty about that? Why don't we just all stop rooting for interesting weather to happen and embrace a San Diego climate?

Your arguments are entirely pointless. No one wants death and destruction to occur, they want to experience weather. That's what the hobby is about. If you don't like it, get off the board. Or at least stop saying how great snowstorms are and then criticizing people for wanting a bigger hurricane.

You have to seperate the two because the human element is out of your control.....I do agree that explicitly wishing for death and destruction is uncalled for, though....no one really does that. Kev is not serious when he does that and anyone who knows him can tell you that.

I would have loved to have seen a cat 3 and if you feel that renders me small minded and sadistic, then so be it...my real friends know neither to be the case.

That being said, I am relieved to still have power, so I can take solace in that

BTW, can't say I really take a vested interest in a great deal of fresh water flooding....more the surge and wind....and many folks who live at the beaches know the risk they run when moving there.

Perhaps next go 'round we can take up a pool and send you to a more hurricane prone region where you can be lashed to a pier for a front row seat.lol I wasn't really even thinking of Kevin as I see many of his posts as pure schtick and that I can appreciate for its comedic value. I was thinking more along the lines of SnowNH's inane and incessant posts. Some strong winds kicking up again.

Perhaps next go 'round we can take up a pool and send you to a more hurricane prone region where you can be lashed to a pier for a front row seat.lol I wasn't really even thinking of Kevin as I see many of his posts as pure schtick and that I can appreciate for its comedic value. I was thinking more along the lines of SnowNH's inane and incessant posts. Some strong winds kicking up again.

I greatly respect all of your views....very bright guy....we may not always agree, but I feel as though I gain from each one of your more lengthy posts.

Hey guys, just got my power back in Maynard, lost it around noon and the stronger gusts started to arrive. Took a walk around downtown as things started to calm. Mostly twigs and some large branches down. Did see 1 uprooted tree that someone move from somewhere into a parking lot. Seeing the number of outages I feel fortunate to get it back so quick..hopefully I don't lose it again.

Last I checked 500k+ out in MA, 280k in RI. WTNH Channel 8 reported 750k out in CT as of an hour ago.35k in VT. NH has 165k out via NH Public Radio. Central ME Power reports 146k out.. Amazing that a tropical storm can knock out power to almost 2 million people....

Hey guys, just got my power back in Maynard, lost it around noon and the stronger gusts started to arrive. Took a walk around downtown as things started to calm. Mostly twigs and some large branches down. Did see 1 uprooted tree that someone move from somewhere into a parking lot. Seeing the number of outages I feel fortunate to get it back so quick..hopefully I don't lose it again.

Last I checked 500k+ out in MA, 280k in RI. WTNH Channel 8 reported 750k out in CT as of an hour ago.35k in VT. NH has 165k out via NH Public Radio. Central ME Power reports 146k out.. Amzing that a tropical storm can knock out power to almost 2 million people....

That's just new England.....factor in the entire eastern seaboard and thd total outages are up to around 4 or 5 million....unbelievable....me included..

Just went out to check out more of my yard. Just soggy, but no destruction.

Clouds racing by overhead.

We had a weird thing happen in my basement. Seems like hydrostatic pressure poke a hole in my foundation floor. The concrete in a circle about one inch diameter has liquified.

How the heck does that happen and how do I fix it?

Total event rainfall here was 2.41"

Highest recorded gust was 49 mph, but I'm pretty confident that we must have gusted to near 60mph....large branches down....have not witnessed any full trees, but have heard of some downed in the area.

I was lucky in that I only lost power for about 20 minutes around 9am...flickered a few other times, but it was all good.

Now, to just rid ourselves of this torrid airmass and usher some autumn in here.

Just went out to check out more of my yard. Just soggy, but no destruction.

Clouds racing by overhead.

We had a weird thing happen in my basement. Seems like hydrostatic pressure poke a hole in my foundation floor. The concrete in a circle about one inch diameter has liquified.

How the heck does that happen and how do I fix it?

Do you have a sump pump?

Damage on the shoreline worse than I thought now that I'm hearing more from friends/family in CT. Lots of places that haven't been touched since 1938 are destroyed including restaurants, homes, etc. Lots of flood damage from storm surge even well inland on tidal rivers.

My parents neighborhood in Guilford has more trees down then they can count including trees on houses, cars, and virtually every road impassable.

Archived