• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

Ryan...I hope someone in the media will start asking tough questions of CL&P as to why the map here looks like the one below and western Mass. just to the north has FAR fewer outages along with the Berkshires which saw higher winds and more flooding problems. Especially in eastern CT, it's really uncalled for at the levels that they have. I can't speak for other towns, but I haven't one utility truck in my town in three days. Stafford has over 2,000 outages right now and just 5 miles to the north they have less than 100.

I hope you can bring this up to someone....it's time CL&P got asked some tough questions. This happened during Gloria and there was a big discrepancy then and they said they would improve it....they obviously haven't.

What more can they do? They've brought in crews from other states to help out and they're working 24/7.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What more can they do? They've brought in crews from other states to help out and they're working 24/7.

That's not the point. I would agree (to a limited extent) that they are doing everything to RESTORE power.

The point is the number of OUTAGES. I expect to be without power, that's not the issue. For an equal amount of damage, a higher percentage of customers lost power in CT than in MA. Why? What does CL&P do differently than WMECO that would cause that? My town had several thousand customers without power, nearly 100% of customers at one point but the two towns right next door in Massachusetts only less than 10% of it's customers effected. CL&P was asked about this after Gloria and they said that they would fix it and they haven't.

I will add that I know that they've brought in crews from other parts of the country and Canada but as other posters have pointed out, they are not in eastern CT.

Most of western MA and eastern NY are National Grid. Hey it may be better than CT here, but it's not exactly great. My sister is still without power after 2.5 days.

That's not the point. I would agree (to a limited extent) that they are doing everything to RESTORE power.

The point is the number of OUTAGES. I expect to be without power, that's not the issue. For an equal amount of damage, a higher percentage of customers lost power in CT than in MA. Why? What does CL&P do differently than WMECO that would cause that? My town had several thousand customers without power, nearly 100% of customers at one point but the two towns right next door in Massachusetts only less than 10% of it's customers effected. CL&P was asked about this after Gloria and they said that they would fix it and they haven't.

I will add that I know that they've brought in crews from other parts of the country and Canada but as other posters have pointed out, they are not in eastern CT.

The point is the number of OUTAGES. I expect to be without power, that's not the issue. For an equal amount of damage, a higher percentage of customers lost power in CT than in MA. Why? What does CL&P do differently than WMECO thatre would cause that? My town had several thousand customers without power, nearly 100% of customers at one point but the two towns right next door in Massachusettsto in only less than 10% of it's customers effected. CL&P was asked about this after Gloria and they said that they would fix it and they haven't.

They steal all the money put up for tree cuttings and trimming we pay them, they spend money for corporate parties that are lavish. I know believe me, no one but no one in the media has any balls or smarts to investigate. They kiss legislature arse and put money in PACS for them.

Ryan...I hope someone in the media will start asking tough questions of CL&P as to why the map here looks like the one below and western Mass. just to the north has FAR fewer outages along with the Berkshires which saw higher winds and more flooding problems. Especially in eastern CT, it's really uncalled for at the levels that they have. I can't speak for other towns, but I haven't one utility truck in my town in three days. Stafford has over 2,000 outages right now and just 5 miles to the north they have less than 100.

I hope you can bring this up to someone....it's time CL&P got asked some tough questions. This happened during Gloria and there was a big discrepancy then and they said they would improve it....they obviously haven't.

LOL... umm how about CL&P got the wind and WMA didnt???? Any branch falling and hitting a primary wire will cause the fuse to trip. If the fuse trips it needs to be replaced. Utilities don't have enough crews around to replace all of these fuses. It will take time.

Look down your street to where your side circuit begins, I bet a fuse is blown. If so report that to CL&P.

Been without power since 10am Sunday, gotten to the point where it is ridiculous, haven't seen an NStar truck within a mile of my house. At this rate I'm going to have to wait for electricity til when I move into my dorm on Sunday.

They only have so many freaking crews. If Duxbury was out of power and you had power would you still this is ridiculous?

They only have so many freaking crews. If Duxbury was out of power and you had power would you still this is ridiculous?

I'd understand your point of view if I saw any crews at all. I'm not asking them to be Jesus, it would just be nice to at least see some sort of presence in the town. I understand what they're doing is tough, but what I don't understand is from when the winds subsided Sunday evening to now how there hasnt been an NStar truck or even a tree crew near my neighborhood. Hell, even Comcast had been around to check their equipment even though nobody can even use it.

At least your pipes aren't bursting and heat is not too much of an issue

See me in 2 more days...I feel your pain

I agree, I'm very fortune this isn't the middle of the winter, however, that doesn't mean I have to accept the fact that my parents pay outrageous rates every month for their utilities and the power still continuously goes out. This is an ongoing issue before Irene. Even on a breezy day we seem to lose power because equipment is not maintained and trees are allowed to overgrow around wires.

I agree, I'm very fortune this isn't the middle of the winter, however, that doesn't mean I have to accept the fact that my parents pay outrageous rates every month for their utilities and the power still continuously goes out. This is an ongoing issue before Irene. Even on a breezy day we seem to lose power because equipment is not maintained and trees are allowed to overgrow around wires.

Yeah... my mom has this issue too in RI.

Considering how rural it is around here, we rarely lose power. And after '08, they really cut back the trees, etc.

National Grid seems to do pretty well around here, but some of the smaller utilities (Unitil in the Fitchburg area) were awful...Many folks were without power for 2 weeks, some longer

Hopefully this goes faster as the days pass...

Still can't believe my mom in Jamestown, RI for only 36 hours

Don't really see the harsh criticism of CL&P when National Grid in RI also had 300,000+ without power, like 70% of the state. My parents haven't had power for 72 hours now. The infrastructure region wide in SNE needs a major upgrade. This is the outcome when you have such a large region that has gone so long without a widespread windstorm to clear weak brush.

Don't really see the harsh criticism of CL&P when National Grid in RI also had 300,000+ without power, like 70% of the state. My parents haven't had power for 72 hours now. The infrastructure region wide in SNE needs a major upgrade. This is the outcome when you have such a large region that has gone so long without a widespread windstorm to clear weak brush.

Well, a lot of big trees came down as well, but yeah...smaller stuff probably auses many more outages. Heck, even a squirrel can...In SRI it is so overgrown compared to 10 or 15 years ago.

CL&P has something like 800+ crews working on our tiny state. That's enough to give nearly half a dozen crews to each town.

You need multiple crews on one job of a line is down! Oh and CT is real tiny.. not.

Of it were only that easy to just place crews in towns.. you need damage assessors, tree trimming crews, line crews, and service crews

Been without power since 10am Sunday, gotten to the point where it is ridiculous, haven't seen an NStar truck within a mile of my house. At this rate I'm going to have to wait for electricity til when I move into my dorm on Sunday.

Feel your pain, unfortunately for me I moved to my house for college on Friday. Sat night we lost power, and haven't gotten it back since. Meanwhile they never even lost power at my parents house. Worst part of the matter is we called UI today, and they didn't even know our neighborhood didn't have power. Truly shocking, and pretty damn annoying. I really do understand that it takes awhile to restore power, especially after the mess the entire state went through, but it' almost feels like my neighborhood has been neglected for some reason I can't figure out. I mean after all I have had to go to class everyday with no home to go to due to this power crises. Hopefully everyone can get their power back ASAP.

LOL... umm how about CL&P got the wind and WMA didnt???? Any branch falling and hitting a primary wire will cause the fuse to trip. If the fuse trips it needs to be replaced. Utilities don't have enough crews around to replace all of these fuses. It will take time.

One example I gave was the two towns just to my north. I could also list any town along the entire border. They received the same winds/rains as to their south (I'm not talking 20 miles, just 2 or 3 miles!) but had a lower percentage of customers loose power. I know they are working on it and am patiently waiting for my power to come back on...been through this before.

National Grid, WMECO, etc. have different configurations than CL&P which prevented the shear numbers that CT has. I wonder if they have more "fuses" which prevent a wider area from going out? Maybe that's the kind of upgrade we need?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like many of us will gust over 70

Dude..Just ripped a gust well over 60..1st tree is down in my yard. HOLY SHI T!!! Stuff was cracking and ripping all over. Still have power..looks like a good sized tree..way down in the side yard

Robin Circle..The top half of the tree snapped off and it looks like it partially fell on my neighbors trampoline..It;s hard to tell and I don't want to go out there with stuff flying all over.

There 's another partial tree that snapped across the tree 2 houses down. That was a monster gust

I will get some later today and post it. It's just way too dangerous for me to walk down there right now.

Meh eh?

Archived