• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

Nope. We get a little water now and then depending on wind direction. Today was nothing special. A shop vac and dehumidifier make quick work of it.

Maybe I need one now

It's possible. If the ground water rises around your foundation, it will naturally find the weakest spots. Would not hurt to put one in.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damage on the shoreline worse than I thought now that I'm hearing more from friends/family in CT. Lots of places that haven't been touched since 1938 are destroyed including restaurants, homes, etc. Lots of flood damage from storm surge even well inland on tidal rivers.

My parents neighborhood in Guilford has more trees down then they can count including trees on houses, cars, and virtually every road impassable.

It's awful. What's unfolding up in W MA/ VT/ NH is bad as well. I think the rain/flooding/surge aspect of this storm was overlooked. I think everyone gravitates to the wind aspect with TC but this one was different.

Damage on the shoreline worse than I thought now that I'm hearing more from friends/family in CT. Lots of places that haven't been touched since 1938 are destroyed including restaurants, homes, etc. Lots of flood damage from storm surge even well inland on tidal rivers.

My parents neighborhood in Guilford has more trees down then they can count including trees on houses, cars, and virtually every road impassable.

Wow.

Total event rainfall here was 2.41"

Highest recorded gust was 49 mph, but I'm pretty confident that we must have gusted to near 60mph....large branches down....have not witnessed any full trees, but have heard of some downed in the area.

I was lucky in that I only lost power for about 20 minutes around 9am...flickered a few other times, but it was all good.

Now, to just rid ourselves of this torrid airmass and usher some autumn in here.

took a ride to D&D's an hour ago, pretty good damage around town. Saw at least 6 trees down a few large root balls. Lots of good size branches down. Still can't believe we didn't lose power.

I am among the 160,000 Maine folks who are without power. I brought my perishables to work, thinking CMP wasn't going to get to my far unlit unknown location in time to save my stuff.

I happened to be out driving around this pm. I can report all sorts of road closures, trees disfigured in multiple ways including uprooting and snapping off at the base, trees leaning on wires and houses, roads absolutely covered by debris. Impressive storm.

People just wanted to see a more powerful storm. This is a weather forum, what do you expect? Do you expect people not to want to see interesting and anomalous storms on a weather forum? You continually root for huge snowstorms despite the fact it costs the economy millions of dollars, causes a multitude of car accidents, etc. Why don't you feel guilty about that? Why don't we just all stop rooting for interesting weather to happen and embrace a San Diego climate?

Your arguments are entirely pointless. No one wants death and destruction to occur, they want to experience weather. That's what the hobby is about. If you don't like it, get off the board. Or at least stop saying how great snowstorms are and then criticizing people for wanting a bigger hurricane.

It's like having a toy poodle bark at me.lol What flawed logic.

I greatly respect all of your views....very bright guy....we may not always agree, but I feel as though I gain from each one of your more lengthy posts.

Sorry to get on the soapbox. Saw some people really put out by today's events and the juxtaposition of their anguish to some of the frivolous posts in here was a bit much. Thankfully we don't always agree as it would be a boring world if that were the case.

Surely you're intelligent enough to perceive the facetious undertone, there.

The underlying message that I was trying to convey is that nature is an independant variable....enjoying extreme whether musn't be interpreted as "wishing death and destruction upon others" ...it's simply rolling with the punches.....disasters will happen, so may as well go about deriving pleasure from life's passions .

What is a dependant variable is the level of preparedness of the general public and each of us play our own individual, small role in that. I do understand your frustration, though

Medical examiner's have passions...shall we chastize them for wishing death on folks....where do we draw the line.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but not sorry that I experienced some cool weather.

Beautifully stated. At work, the most interesting stuff often brings folks the most misery. Doesn't mean I don't feel sad for the poor souls suffering with said conditions.

Wow Ryan,

damn I am exhausted but lucky compared to your post.

West Hartford is in good shape but people on coastal new haven county can't remember a storm like this wind wise since Gloria and surge wise since 1938. The 38 surge was obviously much more severe with extreme wave action but nothing has come near it since.

Way OT but this iPad has changed my life. Highly recommended. 98% of my posts for the past month have been via this method. Much better for family, portability, and convenience. I think I'll replace my dead desktop with a cheap Atom unit portable just for files needed to transfer around. Getting windy again but the worst appears over. Not tropical anymore...Irene took the tropics north with her.

some people think we're sociopaths

1. wanting to see something amazing or experience something dangerous is normal

2. wishing hardship on people is an ugly thing for a person to do

1 spills over into 2, they're somewhat inseparable

I think it's an unfair conclusion, but can understand how people can feel that way.

indeed there are power outages reported across montreal island, especially in and around the airport and towards southern sections S of autoroute 40.

personally myself havent gusted over high 40s, but sustained >30 for several hours now which of course is highly unusual and some branches down in the streets but nothing huge that i can tell out my window.

south sections and closer to VT gusting higher as per reports, especially over and along the st lawerence and those with elevation to the east of the city. we've had a lot of rain, but our neighbours in VT looks to be getting crushed with rain and the flooding looks BAD.

quebec city is gusting over 50 in the city from what i can tell and i imagine it will continue to get windier there as the system apporaches.

there will be some cleanup from this after all.

Ended with 3.91" of rain here and the barometer bottomed at 975.5 mb. Gloria definitely had higher winds in this neck of the woods, but this was a longer lasting storm with some impressive gusts on the back side.

Some of the pictures and video coming out of W Mass and the Catskills are incredible with regards to the flooding. Hope all w/o power and property damage get back to normal ASAP.

Way OT but this iPad has changed my life. Highly recommended. 98% of my posts for the past month have been via this method. Much better for family, portability, and convenience. I think I'll replace my dead desktop with a cheap Atom unit portable just for files needed to transfer around. Getting windy again but the worst appears over. Not tropical anymore...Irene took the tropics north with her.

My wife loves hers. Ironically, she bought the ipad to have live video sessions with her niece, who lives in the adirondacks. She's used it for just about everything except the video sessions.

Ryan...any reports from any of the other shoreline towns? Specifically...any word on specific damage or destroyed property near the beaches? The only ones I've seen specific info on is Fairfield and west haven. Obviously the shoreline took a beating as evidence as all the towns completely in the dark. Sounds like plenty of tree down in my old clinton neighborhood...but houses survived. Thankful the rain aspect wasn't too bad east of around your parents place...or I'm sure I would've heard of some houses hit by trees in my old neighborhood. Can't wait to see some more pics around there.

Archived