northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I appreciate that it's a grave situation down in coastal sw CT....but this thing def. could have been alot worse, which is what is so scary....good luck w recovery down there.

I just said the same thing to my wife. I could only imagine what could've happened if the storm was more powerful than this. I'm most concerned for Western Mass areas....

Seems like we're about done here. Very cool storm as we rarely ever see sustained winds, even if they were only 25mph for a time. Gusts were not as high as I had hoped, but there were still some impressive ones nonetheless. Leaves and branches scatter the streets and some trees reported down in ASH too, which is rare as well.

Hell of a lot better than faux severe threats, swampazz torches, or winter discussion.

:o

Most of us want to see extreme weather, but when it happens in your own geographical proximity, it certainly hits home. It's not funny at all when you walk out your front door and see destruction.

Hang in there and keep safe!

This is our passion...why we should be scorned for that is beyond me....do folks criticize psycologists who follow thier passions and enter careers revolving around deviant behavor....or even law enforcement.....emergency planners..... etc

I only lost it for about 20 minutes around mid morning....lucked out.

oh, that's not bad at all...you're lucky...i'm hoping mine will come back tomorrow...but lots of lines down, some started fires...in multiple locations...and some trees leaning on wires tat will ave to be removed before they can even work on the power issue...guess i need ice...any flooding?

oh, that's not bad at all...you're lucky...i'm hoping mine will come back tomorrow...but lots of lines down, some started fires...in multiple locations...and some trees leaning on wires tat will ave to be removed before they can even work on the power issue...guess i need ice...any flooding?

Just a messy yard due to foliage.....lucky.

Good luck.

For those interested... A friend in Fitchburg did lose power, but the wind gusts he estimated were in the 50 to 55mph range. I would say a bit less than that where I am in Ayer Massachusetts. I did not lose power, but it did blink several times throughout the day. All in all, a heavy rain and decent wind pulse during the late morning hours. The frequency of gusts has been slowly diminishing since about 1pm.

One thing I am noticing of the photos people are providing is a lot of root balls pulled out of the ground, and less trunk bifurcating. I am wondering if this is more a function of softened earth. We did have an anomalously wet month in a lot of locales preceding this event. A few did mention this possibility leading into today.

Well, it does seem perverse to want to see damage and destruction...

But to see Nature flex her muscle and toss mankind's creations around can be impressive.

Enough soapbox. Good luck to those in harms way

Do we really, though.....look at how much energy we expend disseminating info to loved ones and friends...so that they can be as prepared as possible....that is all we can control.

Without destruction there would be no creation....it's one of the many polarites of life.

Not even a flicker here. Power is holding up.

May have dodged a bullet, power-wise. I never bought a generator after the ice storm a couple of years ago. It's time to look into one.

Dodge-bullet cancel. Lost power for about 20 minutes, broadband for about 2 hours.

The ice storm of 08 was worse. approx. 3 days without power, 5 days without broadband.

This is our passion...why we should be scorned for that is beyond me....do folks criticize psycologists who follow thier passions and enter careers revolving around deviant behavor....or even law enforcement.....emergency planners..... etc

I can see Pete's frustration though. I witnessed something similar after viewing the tornado damage in Brimfield the day after. You would drive by and people would just look at you with a menacing stare. I think in the end, it makes you a stronger person to witness, or live through, a significant weather event.

Enjoyed three back-to-back extreme ultragusts a while back that filled the air with leaves and sent my dad running to the other side of the house away from the trees. it was srsly awesome... could hear the sound of a transformer zapping in the distance (PROBABLY ON WHITE OAKS ROAD, WIZ). It was like the storm couldn't leave without obliterating my tropical garden, again. lolz.

So a one week investment of time yielded about 90 seconds of pure joy.

3.75" for rain... hopefully some showers can pop up and make it an even 4.

I can see Pete's frustration though. I witnessed something similar after viewing the tornado damage in Brimfield the day after. You would drive by and people would just look at you with a menacing stare. I think in the end, it makes you a stronger person to witness, or live through, a significant weather event.

Absolutely.

Dave, we don't control it.....we need folks to die in order for our grandkids to be able to inhabit the Earth...are we awful people...

It happens....it's not our fault meteorology is our passion...again, I hope the recovery out west goes well.

I wonder if the 2008 Ice Storm took down most of the weak trees

Very little damage here. Saw 1 large decayed branch that was 10" in diameter

In my yard mostly stuff 1" or less

I drove to the Stop&Shop in Gardner at around noon. I saw some large branches down on Baldwinville Rd. in Templeton on the way to rte. 2. More than I saw in Winchendon, which was mostly small and dead stuff.

Nothing in my yard but some leaves off the trees.

I do recall being pissed off after the Ice Storm. We had taken refuge in Belmont, where it had just rained a bit. People were just acting normal while outside of 495 there was devestation

How did the Albany area fare today?

Yes, 6 days without power started to grow on me......after say 24 hours. Again, in the end, it made me truly realize to be ready for anything Mother Nature had to offer. All this talk about "it can't happen here" has quickly been put to rest in my mind.

Absolutely.

Dave, we don't control it.....we need folks to die in order for our grandkids to be able to inhabit the Earth...are we awful people...

It happens....it's not our fault meteorology is our passion...again, I hope the recovery out west goes well.

Interesting perspective. We do love the extremes...but we have all seen posters (today even) hoping for big damage. Obviously we cannot effect how it happens.

I was really impressed with the met knowledge you and others showed with this event

Disastrous flooding going down out here. Pretty much no where to go. Downtown Greenfield inaccessible. 91 closed in both directions due to fear of bridge compromise in Deerfield. Rt 5& 10 closed so there is no way to get south of here! Rt W closed due to mudslide. E. due to flooding.

Nash Mill Rd Greenfield. Flooding 1/4 mile wide.

Dam breach on Green River about a mile up from my house. Covered bridge taken out.

Archived