Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
DC/MD/VA/WV Observations/Discussions Thread

ThePhotoGuy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

23.9 on the home thermo this morning. Much colder than I expected. Saw several water puddles frozen solid on the way in to work. If the temps on Monday morning are as cold as some models suggest, the willows and forsythia, not to mention any flowers, are going to take a good hit. Heard a biologist say one time that temps under 20 really do a number on budding and flowering plants.

This run of crap cold weather has cut into the monthly departure from average temp that was running higher than I might have thought about a week ago. Closer to normal now.

It has, but it won't be enough to erase the positive departure for the month. It would have taken the period from last Wed/Thurs through the end of the month averaging about -11F below normal to erase the +4 departure from the first 2/3rds of the month. We've had daily departures of up to -10. Today will probably only end up -5 or so, so it's not going to cut it. But it will get it back closer to average.

having this month as an overall postive departure with regard to temps is going to feel like false advertising the way the month is ending. Add in that some of the "warm" days were accompanied by howling winds that made outside not real pleasant, and I am giving this month a FAIL, especially since the "near miss" theme of the winter with respect to snow has been given a return engagement.

Where do you get this data from Dave? Sure I can look at precip maps - but text outputs would be great.

For the long-range GFS, you can go here: http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KSBY

You can change the three-letter identifier at the end for different airports.

Here's another good site:

http://www.wxcaster.com/models_text.htm

Archived