joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
DC/MD/VA/WV Observations/Discussions Thread

ThePhotoGuy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

57 degrees, perfect wx for spring yard cleanup aside from a stiff breeze at times

Looks like a boring week coming up :(

Long periods of boringness typically end with a bang around here (at least in my experience). I'm more than willing to trade a week or two of great sunny but boring weather for some excitement that doesn't fail later on.

Oh yeah? I had an ice tornado, so HA!

Back in SUNY Albany there's four quads that has a square of 3-story tall buildings with a 22-story building (very WTC-like) in the center. We'd get whirlwind effects off of the towers and get snow-devils during the winter :D Once we even had a paper-devil that went up at least 10 stories.

Today would have been a perfect spring day if it wasn't quite as windy... still got out and did some jogging, though.

-----

EDIT: HA HA there's actually a movie on Syfy right now called Ice Twisters... and yes it's about ice tornadoes.

my face got sunburned today.. i went to the st patricks parade with my dad. easier to get a good view than the 4th parade!

lots of things flowering and starting to sprout around the city.

Just got back from Silver Diner in Rockville. While it is a bit chilly outside I was still pretty set with short sleeves. Felt very refreshing.

Doesn't the food suck there? I remember them changing the food/menu recipes to "healthy" crap to the point I wanted to barf, if not maybe they changed it back.

They had peas in the coleslaw, no cheese on the chees fries, the brownie was as hard as concrete, the burger buns were whole weat...eewwwww.

It used to be so damn delicious.

Doesn't the food suck there? I remember them changing the food/menu recipes to "healthy" crap to the point I wanted to barf, if not maybe they changed it back.

They had peas in the coleslaw, no cheese on the chees fries, the brownie was as hard as concrete, the burger buns were whole weat...eewwwww.

It used to be so damn delicious.

Got a really nice burger there just now. Fries were nice and crispy as well - warm food on a chilly night nothing like it. No whole wheat bun either!

Anyhow - it definitely looks like we are in for a bit of a boring stretch here.

Back in SUNY Albany there's four quads that has a square of 3-story tall buildings with a 22-story building (very WTC-like) in the center. We'd get whirlwind effects off of the towers and get snow-devils during the winter :D Once we even had a paper-devil that went up at least 10 stories.

Today would have been a perfect spring day if it wasn't quite as windy... still got out and did some jogging, though.

-----

EDIT: HA HA there's actually a movie on Syfy right now called Ice Twisters... and yes it's about ice tornadoes.

Is that the one with Brittney Murphey? I watched some twister related flic on syfy with her in it. Also, and this may be something we see in Japan, but Atomic Twisters should be taken very seriously.

Cloudy, temps in 40s currently. Looks like a cold rain tomorrow/night. I was just thinking about all of the winter outlooks from last fall and remembering many of them predicting a cold, stormy Feb and March. I remember several "Feb/March will be rockin" comments. Boy, were those forecasts ever backwards. I guess it just shows that long range weather forecasting isn't an easy thing to do.

So.......what's next winter look like? :P

Cloudy, temps in 40s currently. Looks like a cold rain tomorrow/night. I was just thinking about all of the winter outlooks from last fall and remembering many of them predicting a cold, stormy Feb and March. I remember several "Feb/March will be rockin" comments. Boy, were those forecasts ever backwards. I guess it just shows that long range weather forecasting isn't an easy thing to do.

there is probably some skill in temps for a few long rangers.. precip is generally a crapshoot though perhaps you can get a general seasonal sense. anyone who acts like long range forecasting tells many tales is a liar.

Given that we've had historic winters somewhere in the NE corridor in back-to-back winters, one with a strong Nino and the other a strong Nina...I think there's something to be said for this persistent -NAO/-AO trend. Combine that with something between a weak Nina to a moderate Nino and I like our chances.

I know I'm not in DC or Balt -- but I'm not starting a thread to post my obs.

Cold this morning, but it looks like the rest of the snow here in town (which is only some patches) will be gone in the next day or so. Still a lot of snow up high on the ridges -- check out the video from this weekend. http://vimeo.com/21005675

Beckley and Oak Hill to your SW was getting some decent snows the last few hours, pretty impressive

I know I'm not in DC or Balt -- but I'm not starting a thread to post my obs.

Yep, I know the feeling...no sense in having an obs thread for a couple us

Beckley and Oak Hill to your SW was getting some decent snows the last few hours, pretty impressive

You made me look because it was just cloudy and not that cold up here...looks like some precip sliding by to the my south.

Archived