wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
DC/MD/VA/WV Observations/Discussions Thread

ThePhotoGuy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard a few pings...Its almost 50 degrees lol.

Didn't think that was possible, or at least its unusual.

its possible to get snow and sleet to mix in with surface temps as high as near 50 if the warm layer is very thin and temps aloft cool quickly. In this case it probably cools pretty rapidly as you go up. Plus sleet can survive to the surface more then snow as its harder to melt an ice pellet then a snowflake.

its possible to get snow and sleet to mix in with surface temps as high as near 50 if the warm layer is very thin and temps aloft cool quickly. In this case it probably cools pretty rapidly as you go up. Plus sleet can survive to the surface more then snow as its harder to melt an ice pellet then a snowflake.

Makes me wonder how close we'd be to snow if we had heavy rates this pm. However, looking at the radar, there's not much concern for that.

I assume the surface cools rapidly as well? Already dropped from 52 to 47, it was rain and "sneet" (as ive heard here).

Makes me wonder how close we'd be to snow if we had heavy rates this pm. However, looking at the radar, there's not much concern for that.

i dont know if you can assume that it would be closer or close to snow. sleet/snow in the beginning is partly a byproduct of drier air in the column. as precip continues it would seemingly switch to rain.

Just had a heavier shower move through here. 80/20 mix of wet snow / sleet. Left a slushy coating on elevated surfaces. Temp down 4 degrees the past hour, now 38. Was 46 at 2:30. That kind of cooling keeps up and the evening could be interesting.

Above 1000' in this area, its all snow, and beginning to accumulate.

I didn't consider that. Thanks.

In Columbia, light rain with some stuff trying to be something frozen.

well it's not necessarily right but... ;) if we keep getting fed drier/cooler air i guess it can keep going.

Archived