Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March

DaculaWeather

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive got 1.65" in the old rain gauge. Im glad to see you NC folks win on one finally. Get those trout streams good and flowing for me this spring. Im down to 40 degrees now so I think Ill get a fire going. At one point last night it was raining about as hard as it can. The winds had shifted north and were blowing straight against my bedroom windows.

Still snowing but nothing like it was. It was a sight to behold! Just eyeballing my snow board out back I would say we got .5" in 15 minutes. Talk about getting the blood boiling in a hurry. Tons of Robins in the backyard this AM.

That was simply amazing. Some of the biggest flakes I think I have ever seen. Got an inch and a half on the ground and the road is just starting to cover. Still snowing fairly heavy. Below freezing now (30.6) . Great little March surprise.

I'm not in Asheville today, but glad to see we got some dynamically induced snow in Asheville today! My station has 35.3 degrees.

Phil, I am currently at 33.9° with a low of 33.4°. Wish you were here to see it. I think the vis. was down to a couple hundred feet or less.

That was simply amazing. Some of the biggest flakes I think I have ever seen. Got an inch and a half on the ground and the road is just starting to cover. Still snowing fairly heavy. Below freezing now (30.6) . Great little March surprise.

I would love to be sitting where you are now! Oh well I guess it's the grass is always greener thing.

I envy your location all the time because of how quickly the weather can change at your altitude. One day if I can, I'm going to move up your way and get as high as I can lol.

So how much rain did you end up getting?

Only got an inch here and 0.25 of that fell friday when there was that small area of showers over ne ga/upstate so with the main brunt of the storm, only got 0.75. No complaints though as things are fine here water wise. I'm really happy the mountains finally got a lot of rain. The radar this morning was really impressive for a while.

We are getting a few brief breaks in the clouds and a bit of sun. Not much but enough that it may help with some storms later in the day. Seeing that T warned storm already certainly has my attention with that triple point that foothills mentioned coming through later this afternoon.

Man you guys out west are seeing a really good deluge and if we get a similiar setup next Thursday its gonna be a good start to the spring for you guys.

I'm up to 1.6" which is on the low end , just to my west was much more. Hopefully the next one will get the whole state more eastern NC, which i think there's a chance. I don't trust the models yet on the details, but a closing off is going to be possible and probably would favor eastern Carolinas with more heavy rain than the western thanks to it being more progressive but we'll soon nail down the details of it, seeing as it starts Wednesday.

Since Duke Energy recently started work on the hydro stations, water has been restricted going out of Lake James...so today's rain has been backing up a little bit into the streams on the head end. I noticed GSP recently issued a Flash Flood Warning for the North Fork of the Catawba River.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

1229 PM EST SUN MAR 6 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

BURKE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

CALDWELL COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

MCDOWELL COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 430 PM EST

* AT 1221 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED

AN AREA OF VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. RAINFALL

AMOUNTS OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS RANGED FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES. FLOODING

ALONG THE NORTH FORK CATAWBA RIVER IN LOW LYING AREAS HAS BEEN

REPORTED. ADDITIONAL RAIN IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

THIS ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AND PREVIOUS RUNOFF IS EXPECTED TO CAUSE

ADDITIONAL FLOODING ESPECIALLY ALON THE NORTH FORK CATAWBA RIVER AND

IN THE PATTERSON AREA ALONG THE YADKIN RIVER AND JACOB FORK AND JOHNS

RIVER...MULBERRY CREEK AND WILSON CREEK.

* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLASH FLOODING TO

OCCUR. SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...

LENOIR...MARION...MORGANTON...ASHFORD...COLLETTSVILLE...CONNELLY

SPRINGS...DYSARTSVILLE...GAMEWELL...GLENWOOD...GLOBE...HUDSON...

JONAS RIDGE...KINGS CREEK...LAKE JAMES...LAKE RHODHISS...OLD

FORT...PATTERSON...RUTHERFORD COLLEGE AND VALDESE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF SMALL

CREEKS AND STREAMS...HIGHWAYS AND UNDERPASSES. ADDITIONALLY...

COUNTRY ROADS AND FARMLANDS ALONG THE BANKS OF CREEKS...STREAMS AND

OTHER LOW LYING AREAS ARE SUBJECT TO FLOODING.

TO REPORT HIGH WATER...FLOODING...MUDSLIDES...LANDSLIDES OR OTHER

SEVERE WEATHER THROUGH OUR AUTOMATED REPORTING SYSTEM...CALL OUR TOLL

FREE NUMBER... 1 8 7 7...6 3 3...6 7 7 2.

I'm not in Asheville today, but glad to see we got some dynamically induced snow in Asheville today! My station has 35.3 degrees.

As Don, SnoJoe, and Fritschy have mentioned, very impressive snow for a little while. I was at my mom and dad's in Candler and it was 39 and rain. By the time I got home, 34 and huge, snowball flakes. Very fun. I hope the upcoming cutoff gives you and Foothills something to entertain us with. :snowman::)

As Don, SnoJoe, and Fritschy have mentioned, very impressive snow for a little while. I was at my mom and dad's in Candler and it was 39 and rain. By the time I got home, 34 and huge, snowball flakes. Very fun. I hope the upcoming cutoff gives you and Foothills something to entertain us with. :snowman::)

It looks like it will be east of western NC right now, but in the realm of things, its possible anywhere from the Apps to NJ region, I'd lean toward eastern VA or NC right now. The ECMWF was a little north, but had a lot of energy and a sharp trough in the Southeast, the GFS last run was over eastern VA just offshore, but one right had in western NC, so until we get a good agreement there's no guarantees yet. The one model I'd trust more is the GFS, and GGEM, and the NAM once its in range. The least valid is likely the ECMWF lately, its been in a rut for a long time now.

The European today is doing about the same to what just happened with this system. It begins with a strong 1044 damming high Wednesday that is slow to move out, and energy drops into a strong neutral trough in La/Ark region, with good divergence starting later Wednesday, which places Alabama and GA under the heavy rain axis. But as the trough goes negative and cuts off, this pulls the rain axis west, so as the overall line of rain begins to spread into the Carolinas, it backbuilds over GA and Alabama but all things considered, mostly GA would once again get extremely heavy rain and duration. Then the 5H cuts off over eastern TN, and a surface low or a couple of them develop in the Apps. lee around AHN HKY GSP region, so the escarpment of the southern Apps get a double whammy of rain in this run, much like this last event, but turns over to snow maybe sooner this time for TN/NC and its possible thursday AM for n. Alabama as well, if the run is right in going neg. tilt so far west. Until the GFS and GGEM come on board I'd take it loosely for now, and probably lean more progressive until shown otherwise. Esp. since this model overdeveloped this past system so far west initially. Still very much worth paying attention to. It has 3" + amounts again in Alabama, GA, TN, western Carolinas. Hopefully a more progressive solution will work out for the central and eastern Carolinas to get into a heavy rain event...there's beena lot of rain in GA for a couple years now that we could use spread out. Either way, we can't control the wx., just watch and see what unfolds.

Just glanced at the GGEM and it too has a major deep trough that cuts off, At first theres a tremendous Gulf tap, which would inundate the GA, Ala, Carolinas, then turn over to snow in the TN Valley/ Apps region. Its more generous and widespread with its precip for the eastern Carolinas thanks to better inflow from both Atlantic and Gulf and good dynamics, deeper cutoff. Overall, great trends on these two models but it could slide east on next run. Bottom line: more rain coming to the Southeast, and possibly flooding type, esp. in Georgia and western carolinas/eastern TN., with more snow in mtns, regardless of the cutoff most likely.

post-38-0-09150100-1299436284.jpg

I'd keep an eye on this cutoff potential for Tn Valley/Apps region. If we get a good clustering the next 2 days, and we should, it will get interesting for who ends up underneath it. Those things are good heavy rain, severe weather , hail/weak twister spin ups this time of year, not to mention elevation snow makers. Right now , theres still too much real estate potential to narrow it down, could be anywhere from TN to Ga to NC VA PA or even just offshore.

I'd keep an eye on this cutoff potential for Tn Valley/Apps region. If we get a good clustering the next 2 days, and we should, it will get interesting for who ends up underneath it. Those things are good heavy rain, severe weather , hail/weak twister spin ups this time of year, not to mention elevation snow makers. Right now , theres still too much real estate potential to narrow it down, could be anywhere from TN to Ga to NC VA PA or even just offshore.

I'm happy we have weather to follow and that we are getting rain! But, I would be thrilled if we could get a nice March snow. The weather has been nice, but boring until this event. The lazy, hazy days of summer will be here soon enough, so I'll take anything entertaining until then.

Water standing in the yard

5502825725_f28b2a3022_m.jpg

3.77" of rain today :thumbsup:

I just measured 1.71". My poor dad doesnt' know how to read a guage but we have the same Cocorahs so I'll have to go measure it later today, but congrats on your huge event. Thats almost a months worth, and considering March is actually our wettest month, we've got more coming up soon, possibly another 3" or so if it all works out.

I'm happy we have weather to follow and that we are getting rain! But, I would be thrilled if we could get a nice March snow. The weather has been nice, but boring until this event. The lazy, hazy days of summer will be here soon enough, so I'll take anything entertaining until then.

I'd love to see a 4 or 5 contour cold cutoff right over AVL form, so far this one looks more run of the mill as far as cutoff strength but its good gulf tap is what gets me. On both the GGEM and ECMWF, we get good prefrontal rains Wednesday that translates into a deluge from 2 surface and 850 lows that take just the right track (very like this one) with more of a meriodonal setup , which usually gives a major APP rain event, again eerily similar to what we just had, except probably even more. Back to back major rains, I'll take that. (and hope the tap doesnt' go dry in April).

The winds have been cranking up with the arrival of the rain. My guess is we have seen some gusts approaching 40mph easily. Rain isn't hard but we need every drop we can get. This band should move through quickly and without the training like you guys out west had we shouldn't see totals anywhere near as high as you.

*SIGH* .22 in the gauge :devilsmiley: Congrats to those that got a sweet March surprise and some much needed rainfall :hug::drunk:

thats not good.

The winds have been cranking up with the arrival of the rain. My guess is we have seen some gusts approaching 40mph easily. Rain isn't hard but we need every drop we can get. This band should move through quickly and without the training like you guys out west had we shouldn't see totals anywhere near as high as you.

Next one looks much better I think for both of you. This one never looked like a big one for central and eastern Carolinas but the next one probably will be much more, atleast thats how it looks now.

I envy your location all the time because of how quickly the weather can change at your altitude. One day if I can, I'm going to move up your way and get as high as I can lol.

So how much rain did you end up getting?

Only got an inch here and 0.25 of that fell friday when there was that small area of showers over ne ga/upstate so with the main brunt of the storm, only got 0.75. No complaints though as things are fine here water wise. I'm really happy the mountains finally got a lot of rain. The radar this morning was really impressive for a while.

Ended up with a little over an inch of rain (1.12), You were right, as usual, about me getting more than I thought I would, I'm a little bi-polar when it comes to precip :arrowhead: .

The change over to snow was immediate. Like a wall coming at you, similar to rain in a fast moving thunderstorm. Apparently it caught many church goers off guard. Several ditch cleaners around the county were reported. We count on the Floridians to keep them clear for the spring rains.:lol:

Archived