Newest Member
    EWR757
March

DaculaWeather

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3e0bcb0b.png

Flood Advisories and Warnings are being issued for NE Georgia, WNC and NW SC this morning by GSP:

Here is part of two of their flood warnings for these areas:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

417 AM EST SUN MAR 6 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN HABERSHAM COUNTY IN NORTHEAST GEORGIA...

NORTHERN OCONEE COUNTY IN UPSTATE SOUTH CAROLINA...

RABUN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST GEORGIA...

SOUTHERN MACON COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 1000 AM EST

* AT 409 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED AN

AREA OF VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. AUTOMATED

GAUGES INDICATED THAT BETWEEN 3 AND 4 INCHES OF RAIN HAD FALLEN

OVER MUCH OF RABUN COUNTY...SOUTHERN MACON COUNTY AND NORTHWESTERN

OCONEE COUNTY. HEAVY RAIN WILL CONTINUE FOR A FEW MORE HOURS AND

AN ADDITIONAL 1 TO 2 INCHES OR RAINFALL IS EXPECTED IN THE

WARNING AREA.

* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLASH FLOODING TO

OCCUR. THE CHATTOOGA RIVER AT BURRELLS FORD WAS NEARING BANKFULL.

ROADS IN THIS AREA ARE LIKELY TO START TO FLOOD WITHIN THE NEXT

COUPLE HOURS.

----------

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

519 AM EST SUN MAR 6 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

HENDERSON COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

POLK COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

WEST CENTRAL RUTHERFORD COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 1130 AM EST

* AT 516 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED AN

AREA OF VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. RAINFALL RATES

OF A HALF INCH TO AN INCH AN HOUR WERE AFFECTING MOST OF

HENDERSON...POLK AND RUTHERFORD COUNTIES.

* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLASH FLOODING TO

OCCUR. MANY STREAMS IN CENTRAL HENDERSON COUNTY WERE

APPROACHING BANKFULL. AS THE HEAVY RAIN WILL CONTINUE FOR A FEW

MORE HOURS...SEVERAL ROADS IN THE HENDERSONVILLE AREA WILL SOON

BECOME FLOODED.

---------------------------

If the Little Tennessee River or Cartoogechaye Creeks start to get out of their banks, I may ride around and take some photos and video later this morning or in the afternoon.

It has been a long time since we've had any serious flooding in Macon County.

6.61 inches still pouring with flash flood warning still in effect. the southern escarpement is gettin pounded :thumbsup:

Wow, this was a great event for you guys. The models always underestimate how much in that area, even though they pegged that area overall as the max for the southern Apps. I have right at 1" now most of it came in the last hour. Great ponding and ditches are full of running water. The snow line is approaching rapidly now, as was always a chance. I think the higher elevations above 3000 feet will switch over to snow in the next 3 hours of TN, NC but the moisture is pulling out by that time so it won't last long. Had the 850 and surface low been just a few hours slower, it probably would have been a decent quick snow, still may be a couple of hours worth, which would give some accums. to the higher elevations. The RUC has te 850 low moving across HKY over the next few hours, so its going to be a race of moisture and cold. I think the GFS had the sfc low and 850 low in the area the RUC has it for several days. The Euro did terrible with this event, off and on runs and placement of qpf.

post-38-0-60517700-1299420461.gif

Wow, this was a great event for you guys. The models always underestimate how much in that area, even though they pegged that area overall as the max for the southern Apps. I have right at 1" now most of it came in the last hour. Great ponding and ditches are full of running water. The snow line is approaching rapidly now, as was always a chance. I think the higher elevations above 3000 feet will switch over to snow in the next 3 hours of TN, NC but the moisture is pulling out by that time so it won't last long. Had the 850 and surface low been just a few hours slower, it probably would have been a decent quick snow, still may be a couple of hours worth, which would give some accums. to the higher elevations. The RUC has te 850 low moving across HKY over the next few hours, so its going to be a race of moisture and cold. I think the GFS had the sfc low and 850 low in the area the RUC has it for several days. The Euro did terrible with this event, off and on runs and placement of qpf.

post-38-0-60517700-1299420461.gif

1"? My gauge is coming in right at 2.4", just bought this new one.

1"? My gauge is coming in right at 2.4", just bought this new one.

yep. Mine's new too, and has been good on all the events so far. Its cocorahs, so once the rain lets up I'll check it again, its over an inch now. I just drove to Shelby and back home...the further north and west in the county, the more. Not sure where you're located.

yep. Mine's new too, and has been good on all the events so far. Its cocorahs, so once the rain lets up I'll check it again, its over an inch now. I just drove to Shelby and back home...the further north and west in the county, the more. Not sure where you're located.

Yea mine has been accurate too. That's strange, anyways the yard is waterlogged with standing water everywhere.

Glad you guys out west are getting hammered. Good to see areas that needed it so badly really cash in. I'm starting to doubt my areas chances at over an inch based on radar but i'm hoping some new batch of heavy rain fires up and heads this way.

Yea mine has been accurate too. That's strange, anyways the yard is waterlogged with standing water everywhere.

Oh yeah, there's yard flooding in the last 3 hours for sure. The drive to town was something with rivers flowing across the roads, the closer I got back to the southern end of the county was a little less. Still its a great rain event, judging by radar the nw part of the county has about 3" and the southeastern quadrant the least, which was expected. Where are you located? Its still pouring, the way the elements have been training, I'm just now probably going to catch up to the areas just to my north and west, since the elements are moving south to north, and the heaviest of the bands have been to my west, slowly creeping east. Polk and Rutherford really got nailed, again as expected.

Archived