Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March

DaculaWeather

thats not good.

Next one looks much better I think for both of you. This one never looked like a big one for central and eastern Carolinas but the next one probably will be much more, atleast thats how it looks now.

Yeah I am looking likely to finish up somewhere near .40-.50 as the really heavy stuff shifted to my NW and the back edge is nearing. Some decent cells firing up over south central NC that may come into play for me later. The wind got my attention a few times as it was making my roof pop and windows sing. I always like a good wind event!

Hopefully next Thursdays storm will have good timing and some sunshine before the storms roll in. All of these low instability high shear setups continue to disappoint.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It started when that 2nd GFS run had a near record cold (for mid-March) -13C at 850 at KATL, which would have resulted in several very hard freezes. As warm as it had been, this would have been quite notable. Of course, I wasn't buying it and decided to follow subsequent runs, which were much warmer as expected. After that I decided to keep following the GFS runs because I thought that looking for a trend would be interesting and because there wasn't too much going on in this thread that was all that exciting. Using the BB's "goofy" nickname is appropriate here imo because of the big jumps from run to run.

The Fri 18Z GFS, by the way, has gone even warmer at +3 C for its coldest for KATL at 850. Last 25 Goofies' KATL coldest: +3, +1, -6, -4, -5, +1, +3, -6, +1, +1, +1, -3, +6, +1, +2, -8, +3, -9, -1, -1, -3, +1, +1, -13, -3. AVG of the 25: -1.

Hahah nice!

By the way skies are darkening off to the west. A very deep dark blue color to the clouds. I'm ready for severe wx season!

You and I got about the same. 7.15 here. The creeks and rivers are full.

WOW - i was out of town this weekend and have 3.15" in the gauge and was impressed, until i saw your totals :bike:

there are trees flowering (and tulips etc coming up) in athens, but imby so far nothing but jonquils and red buds. amazing the difference in just a small distance (amazing what elevation does....which i why i have elevation envy of our folks in the nc mtns :devilsmiley:)

Rain has stopped, sun is peeking out, and ended up with 3.91" :thumbsup:

Finished with around 1.04" here which I'll gladly take over nothing. Nice to see that you finished with nearly 4" back your way. Congrats on that. It almost seems as if it never rained here with the majority of the sky being clear despite a few cumulus clouds lingering.

Around the Raleigh area and south/east of there however is a different story. It's looking awfully rough with a few lines of storms pushing through as the cold front begins its departure from here.

nxnx21.jpg

Just as a reminder folks, we spring foward an hour next week (starting at 2am) so keep that in mind.

550 PM EST SUN MAR 6 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEWPORT HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN DUPLIN COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA

NORTHWESTERN LENOIR COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL 615 PM EST

* AT 548 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

TORNADO OVER BOWDENS...OR OVER WARSAW...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

FAISON...

BEAUTANCUS...CALYPSO...

614 PM EST SUN MAR 6 2011

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM EST FOR

EDGECOMBE...EASTERN WILSON AND NORTHEASTERN WAYNE COUNTIES...

AT 611 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO

INDICATE A TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED TWO MILES WEST OF

STANTONSBURG...OR 16 MILES WEST OF FARMVILLE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT

40 MPH.

HAZARDS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...

A TORNADO.

OTHER DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH.

LOCATIONS IN THE PATH OF THE STORM INCLUDE... SARATOGA...WILLBANKS...

MACCLESFIELD...PINETOPS...CONETOE...TARBORO...PRINCEVILLE AND SPEED.

Drove up to Lake Tahoma in McDowell County to check out the dam. Well worth the drive! Maybe just the largest and most powerful waterfall in all of North Carolina today. Very, very, loud! So impressive.....

Unusual clouds over Mt. Mitchell at sunset. They might have been getting a little snow out of these.

post-1004-0-33626800-1299458781.jpg

Absolutely beautiful in the high country today. I am on vacation with my family at Sugar Mt. The snow started around 8 am pretty moderately with temps hovering around 32 till early afternoon before plummeting to about 23 currently at the base of sugar. We have had about 3 inches of fluffy snow on the ground, snow covered trees and with the roads becoming partially covered during the day and icing up now. Snow was light to moderate until about 2pm and mostly heavy flurries since. Road up to beech mt early afternoon and the top had four inches with solidly covered roads.

Just what a snow weenie needed before getting into spring mood. :snowman:

Absolutely beautiful in the high country today. I am on vacation with my family at Sugar Mt. The snow started around 8 am pretty moderately with temps hovering around 32 till early afternoon before plummeting to about 23 currently at the base of sugar. We have had about 3 inches of fluffy snow on the ground, snow covered trees and with the roads becoming partially covered during the day and icing up now. Snow was light to moderate until about 2pm and mostly heavy flurries since. Road up to beech mt early afternoon and the top had four inches with solidly covered roads.

Just what a snow weenie needed before getting into spring mood. :snowman:

Drove up to Sugar last weekend and it was packed! Here's a pic....

post-1004-0-66299700-1299460769.jpg

Archived