• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March

DaculaWeather

Oh yeah, there's yard flooding in the last 3 hours for sure. The drive to town was something with rivers flowing across the roads, the closer I got back to the southern end of the county was a little less. Still its a great rain event, judging by radar the nw part of the county has about 3" and the southeastern quadrant the least, which was expected. Where are you located? Its still pouring, the way the elements have been training, I'm just now probably going to catch up to the areas just to my north and west, since the elements are moving south to north, and the heaviest of the bands have been to my west, slowly creeping east. Polk and Rutherford really got nailed, again as expected.

I live like 10 min. from the Ingles on 180 near #3 school. It may just be my gauge, we can compare on the next rain event and see if they are more similar.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering when GSP is gonna issue a winter weather product for the mountains above 3500 feet. It looks to me like cataloochee already has 2 inches with mod to heavy snow right now.

http://www.maggieval...cams/catcam.jpg

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC937 AM EST SUN MAR 6 2011...NORTH CAROLINA HIGHER ELEVATION SNOW TODAY...NCZ033-048>052-062300-/O.NEW.KGSP.WW.Y.0011.110306T1437Z-110306T2300Z/AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-INCLUDING THE CITY OF...NEWLAND937 AM EST SUN MAR 6 2011...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS EVENINGABOVE 3500 FEET...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUEDA WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY ABOVE 3500 FEET FOR SNOW...WHICH IS INEFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS EVENING.* LOCATIONS...ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE TENNESSEE BORDER COUNTIES OF NORTH CAROLINA.* HAZARDS...FALLING SNOW LEVELS AS COLDER AIR SPILLS INTO THE REGION.* TIMING...FROM THIS MORNING AND INTO THE AFTERNOON.* ACCUMULATIONS...UP AN INCH OR TWO OF SNOW ACCUMULATION.* IMPACTS...SLICK SPOTS DEVELOPING ON ROADS AND BRIEF VISIBILITY REDUCTIONS.

Rain with a few snowflakes mixed in. Last flakes of the year?

I'm guessing probably not . There's another possible cutoff showing up with the next system, and depending on where it cuts off, if it does, will determine who gets the snow with it. Could be just wrap around or nothing for AVL but if it does cut off in the Apps or central VA, it could be snow for the mtns, but right now thats just a possibility on the models. Otherwise, atleast the Southeast has yet another decent rain event coming up, and probably another one right after that. We're in a good pattern finally to get repetive significant rains.

I live like 10 min. from the Ingles on 180 near #3 school. It may just be my gauge, we can compare on the next rain event and see if they are more similar.

I'm in the same vicinity. You could easily have got under a heavier band that was razor thin and trained south to north across you. Matter of fact, my travel was along 180/226 a couple hours ago and that trip was pure blinding rain, when I got back home I literally drove out of the band near my place. Its still pouring here now so my total is over 1", will tally later.

Over 5" here so far, and still raining. Otter Creek has flooded as you can see in the photo. Here is a video I made this morning around Otter Creek, and the springs running into it. We sure do need this rain.

Your area has some amazing departures..some years just perfect to get big events and other years the microclimate shelters that area. A few years ago western Rutherford/Lake Lure area was the driest spot in NC, literally..now you're up there with Rainforrest (almost).

I'm guessing probably not . There's another possible cutoff showing up with the next system, and depending on where it cuts off, if it does, will determine who gets the snow with it. Could be just wrap around or nothing for AVL but if it does cut off in the Apps or central VA, it could be snow for the mtns, but right now thats just a possibility on the models. Otherwise, atleast the Southeast has yet another decent rain event coming up, and probably another one right after that. We're in a good pattern finally to get repetive significant rains.

I'm in the same vicinity. You could easily have got under a heavier band that was razor thin and trained south to north across you. Matter of fact, my travel was along 180/226 a couple hours ago and that trip was pure blinding rain, when I got back home I literally drove out of the band near my place. Its still pouring here now so my total is over 1", will tally later.

Yea it was absolutely pouring here a little while ago. it's lightened up now. Gauge is up to 3.2", was under an extreme band for a while, my yard and neighboring yards look like a lake.

Well we are up to 1.45" now & down to 37.2°. GSP has revised our high from 51° to 39°. We had a mix going for a while but now it is just misting.

per radar, you have another batch coming in. It isn't over yet. Temps are dropping fast here now. Went from 59 degrees to 49 degrees in the past hour.

Yea it was absolutely pouring here a little while ago. it's lightened up now. Gauge is up to 3.2", was under an extreme band for a while, my yard and neighboring yards look like a lake.

The radar shows the 850 low just to our south,a nd the moisture keeps redeveloping over the Upstate, so theres still afew hours to go here. I've got 1.34" , so you really got nailed. Are you using a Cocorahs gauge? Looks like the mtns (atleast higher elevations) are indeed in for some more snow the next few hours, with good elements and the 850 low throwing moisture right into the Tn/NC mtns and VA. The RUC really develops the 850 low in VA and turns the 5H trough negative, so western VA, MD and PA and eastern WVA are going to get a nice snow most likely, and possible part of the srn. Apps over the next few hours.

The radar shows the 850 low just to our south,a nd the moisture keeps redeveloping over the Upstate, so theres still afew hours to go here. I've got 1.34" , so you really got nailed. Are you using a Cocorahs gauge? Looks like the mtns (atleast higher elevations) are indeed in for some more snow the next few hours, with good elements and the 850 low throwing moisture right into the Tn/NC mtns and VA. The RUC really develops the 850 low in VA and turns the 5H trough negative, so western VA, MD and PA and eastern WVA are going to get a nice snow most likely, and possible part of the srn. Apps over the next few hours.

No I plan on buying one soon though, but this one seems to be pretty accurate, although when compared to a Cocorah's I don't how accurate it is, it looks similar to one though. I actually might end up purchasing an electronic gauge, just don't know how accurate they are.

It looks like were about to get in some more decent rain coming from the upstate.

While it's snowing in the west, we got a rogue cell downeast...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

1133 AM EST SUN MAR 6 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTH CENTRAL SAMPSON COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

WESTERN WAYNE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

EASTERN JOHNSTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL 1230 PM EST

* AT 1129 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

TORNADO OVER HOBBTON...OR 11 MILES NORTH OF CLINTON...MOVING NORTH

AT 40 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

PINE LEVEL...PRINCETON...

MICRO...

KENLY...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...VEHICLE OR

OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS

AVAILABLE LIE DOWN IN A LOW LYING AREA. PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING

DEBRIS.

PLEASE REPORT SEVERE WEATHER TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY

CALLING...1...8 7 7...6 3 3...6 7 7 2 OR NOTIFY YOUR LOCAL LAW

ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.

Holy crap guys! It is snowing so hard right know with flakes just a bit smaller than baseballs!!! Wife has the cam at work....ugh. Ground is turning white after less than 5 minutes of this. Hardest & biggest snow I have seen in years.

Excellent. I'm watching the radar now, the 850 and surface low is doing us up right now, just pouring here, so i know the higher elevations are in for a few more hours of heavy snow. Congratulations on this, I know most were saying its over for the mtns to get snow this season. Never understimate March and April in the Apps. Another decent event arrives later Wednesday into Thursday, and that one too may produce snow on the backend for the mtns.

Excellent. I'm watching the radar now, the 850 and surface low is doing us up right now, just pouring here, so i know the higher elevations are in for a few more hours of heavy snow. Congratulations on this, I know most were saying its over for the mtns to get snow this season. Never understimate March and April in the Apps. Another decent event arrives later Wednesday into Thursday, and that one too may produce snow on the backend for the mtns.

Still snowing but nothing like it was. It was a sight to behold! Just eyeballing my snow board out back I would say we got .5" in 15 minutes. Talk about getting the blood boiling in a hurry. Tons of Robins in the backyard this AM.

We are getting a few brief breaks in the clouds and a bit of sun. Not much but enough that it may help with some storms later in the day. Seeing that T warned storm already certainly has my attention with that triple point that foothills mentioned coming through later this afternoon.

Man you guys out west are seeing a really good deluge and if we get a similiar setup next Thursday its gonna be a good start to the spring for you guys.

Seeing a few peaks of sunshine in and out here. SPC Meso disco says this may aid thunderstorms a little later.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0194

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1106 AM CST SUN MAR 06 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL/ERN NORTH CAROLINA NORTHWARD THRU ERN

VIRGINIA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 061706Z - 061830Z

THE NEED FOR A WATCH STILL APPEARS UNLIKELY...BUT TRENDS WILL

CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF AN INCREASING SEVERE

THREAT THIS AFTERNOON.

A SURFACE LOW IS IN THE PROCESS OF FORMING ALONG A SURFACE FRONT TO

THE LEE OF THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS...AS A FAIRLY VIGOROUS SHORT

WAVE IMPULSE LIFTS NORTHEASTWARD OUT OF THE EASTERN GULF STATES.

THE DEEPENING LOW CENTER APPEARS LIKELY TO GRADUALLY MIGRATE ACROSS

THE CAROLINA PIEDMONT TOWARD THE DANVILLE VA AREA BETWEEN NOW AND

20-21Z...PRECEDED BY A 50-60 KT SOUTHERLY 850 MB JET CORE ACROSS

CENTRAL/EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA AND EASTERN VIRGINIA. AN INFLUX OF

MOISTURE /CHARACTERIZED BY PRECIPITABLE WATER IN EXCESS OF 1.25

INCHES/ IS ONGOING ALONG THIS AXIS...BUT WITH THERMODYNAMIC PROFILES

LARGELY SATURATED THROUGH A DEEP LAYER...AND TENDING TOWARD MOIST

ADIABATIC...DESTABILIZATION IS VERY WEAK.

HOWEVER...THIN SPOTS/BREAKS IN CLOUD COVER WILL ALLOW FOR SOME WARM

SECTOR BOUNDARY LAYER HEATING AND DESTABILIZATION THIS AFTERNOON.

EVEN THOUGH CAPE MAY NOT EXCEED A COUPLE HUNDRED J/KG ...COUPLED

WITH MID/UPPER FORCING FOR UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION...IT MAY BE

SUFFICIENT TO SUPPORT DEEPENING CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT... AND

PERHAPS A FEW THUNDERSTORMS. IF THIS DOES OCCUR...POTENTIAL FOR

DAMAGING WIND GUSTS/ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL INCREASE...GIVEN THE

HIGH BOUNDARY LAYER MOISTURE CONTENT AND RELATIVE HUMIDITY OF THE

BOUNDARY LAYER...IN THE PRESENCE OF STRONG TO EXTREME LOW-LEVEL

SHEAR.

Archived