• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March

DaculaWeather

Drove up to Lake Tahoma in McDowell County to check out the dam. Well worth the drive! Maybe just the largest and most powerful waterfall in all of North Carolina today. Very, very, loud! So impressive.....

Yep...that dam is usually good enough for a trickle on normal days. I've always feared what would be for my area if Tahoma ever failed.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 28.7 with heavy frost this morning.

same here,a very hard freeze. Everything was crunchy and icy this morning after all the rain. Really wasn't expecting it to be so cold this morning, but it was definitely an icy mess, even on the roads the black ice was evident.

is anyone else hearing about snow thursday night for wnc? i keep hearing and reading on other sites, any mets. here can let me know i would appreciate it.

Right now the GFS is showing a decent upslope event on Thursday for the higher elevations of WNC behind our front on Wednesday. Looks to be the typical up slope snowfall areas.

Re WNC higher elevations: Rain changing to mountain snow showers again Wednesday night into Thursday morning looks reasonable to me. I'm looking at it for work. Though I don't expect serious impacts to my clients, I told them not to be surprised if they see snow looking out the window. Enjoy!

Forecast note: Remember a 552 thickness can get it done in mountains above 3-4K ft. The surface is already close to 850mb, allowing leniency on the 850 zero degree rule.

Drove up to Lake Tahoma in McDowell County to check out the dam. Well worth the drive! Maybe just the largest and most powerful waterfall in all of North Carolina today. Very, very, loud! So impressive.....

Unusual clouds over Mt. Mitchell at sunset. They might have been getting a little snow out of these.

Actually, just about all the dams on the upper Catawba River are spilling over or, as in the case with Oxford Dam, they have a floodgate open today.

Only got down to 33 here but still had a decent frost on the grass and cars this morning. Ended up with a storm total of 1.17" . This puts me at 6.05" for the year so far which is a little over 2" below normal. I guess all in all it could be worse.

Next rain event looks to be on track as the next trough really sharpens up as it approaches the east coast Wednesday into Thursday. Rainfall wise totals look similar to the last system with the highest totals in northern Georgia into the western upstate, and North Carolina mountains where flooding may be a big concern. Lighter totals should occur east of the mountains, but it will still be a very nice rain event for a huge portion of the southeast.

Hopefully this system will live up to expectations, as after this we look to dry out for awhile as the flow flattens out and becomes more zonal.

coastal plain sc screw job

i hear ya about .34 here

:lol: It's better than nothing :wub:

"Hello, Ole' Man Winter. It's been a while. Thanks for the couple inches of snow and the wicked cold temps tonight. I'll pour you a scotch and we'll sit by the fire and watch Daniel Tosh's new stand-up special. Good times."

Glad to hear you enjoyed your evening :hug:

THANKS.

Re WNC higher elevations: Rain changing to mountain snow showers again Wednesday night into Thursday morning looks reasonable to me. I'm looking at it for work. Though I don't expect serious impacts to my clients, I told them not to be surprised if they see snow looking out the window. Enjoy!

Forecast note: Remember a 552 thickness can get it done in mountains above 3-4K ft. The surface is already close to 850mb, allowing leniency on the 850 zero degree rule.

the GGEM has a heck on an event today. Its probably way to deep and amplified, and even on its mm precip chart, the amounts shown are much to low (only 4" or so) of rain, for its 5H look. If that occurred, it would be a mega rain event in the Apps and esp. around GA and the Carolnas, with major snow on the backside and under the ULL. The other models are now more progressive. We'll see if the Euro holds on to its more progressive look, still the NAM is a big deal as well.

the GGEM has a heck on an event today. Its probably way to deep and amplified, and even on its mm precip chart, the amounts shown are much to low (only 4" or so) of rain, for its 5H look. If that occurred, it would be a mega rain event in the Apps and esp. around GA and the Carolnas, with major snow on the backside and under the ULL. The other models are now more progressive. We'll see if the Euro holds on to its more progressive look, still the NAM is a big deal as well.

I'm gonna hug the canadian. I want more snow

I'm gonna hug the canadian. I want more snow

and I want more rain. Its been the most amplified on this system so far, but I can't recall what it had on the previous system. However I will say the NAM did ok and the GFS for the last event but were too wet in the central and eastern sections, but at 5H not bad. The ECMWF has been the least reliable and inconsistent. The UKMET is a blend of the GGEM and NAM I think, a little too progressive for a huge deal, but still a big deal of rain esp in Ga and the Carolinas and Alabama, but with minimal snow in the Apps so far, however if its slower and deeper than it shows then obviously the cutoff would occur further west and south. I wish we could get a good clustering so far there's still a good deal of spread ...anything from a huge cutoff/floodmaker to a progressive 1" to2" rain event with wraparound snow in the Apps (GFS).

Too bad I can't send you any of the rain we got over the weekend.

yeah, thats usually how that works out. You're in a good spot for these kind of events (and most)...I didnt' miss out though, pretty good almost 2", and most of that was the last 6 hours of the event. The new ECMWF is not as deep or as far west as the extreme GGEM but its similar to the NAM more than GFS. It paints a deep slow moving trough with additional energy added still far enough west to keep the rain guns poised right at the Apps, most of eastern Alabama eastern TN, most of northern third of GA and the western third of the Carolinas through 78 hours and has a surface low develop near ATL that goes to RDU as the trough goes neg. tilt and tries to cutoff around 84 hours. This low goes inland up the east coast at 90 hours and the 5h cuts off broadly from the eastern Lakes and Ohio Valley, so once again, there will be comma head and upslope snows combo for the Apps of NC, TN and points north...starting early to midday Thursday.

Through 96 and 102 hours it still has snow in the Apps all the way to Ne TN and nw NC so overall this is going to be another good event, it really depends on exactly where the ULL cuts off and if its far enough west. I do think there will be some snow on the backside, the question is where the cutoff occurs ...right now its hard to say, but we'll hone in on this soon. Could be a 6" + event for the Smokies and Blue Ridge, slightly bigger than the last, the way its looking now, and if a couple smaller changes are made at 5h and timing, would be a much much bigger event, but can't say that yet. The rain amounts again are almost phenomenal from eastern Mississippi to eastern Canada with widespread 2" amounts even much more this time for central Carolinas, with spots of 3" here and there in the Apps and the Upslope regions next to the Apps. It has my attention for sure, and the ECMWF isn't the best model lately, so the ones to watch are the NAM and GFS as well as GGEM if we get those to all cluster closer, so far no luck there.

GSP Mountain Summary

(4" at Beech, 7" at Mitchell, 8" at LeConte)

max/min temperature and precipitation table for

the mountains and foothills of north carolina

national weather service greenville - spartanburg sc

958 am est mon mar 7 2011

this is the north carolina mountain and foothills report...

which includes the high and low temperatures and precipitation

for the 24 hour period ending around 7 am this morning.

: station elev: obs high low 24 hr snow snow

: name time temp temp pcpn fall depth

beln7:banner elk 3770:dh0700/ 37/ 21/ t/ 1. 0/ t

bchn7:beech mountain 5069:dh0700/ 42/ 16/ 0. 66/ 4. 0/ 4

boon7:boone 3098:dh0600/ 49/ 25/ 1. 07/ 0. 0/ 0

ftsn7:flat springs 3355:dh0700/ 40/ 23/ 0. 88/ 2. 4/ 2

frkn7:franklin 2170:dh0700/ 44/ 25/ 0. 15/ m/ m

hldn7:highlands 3840:dh0700/ 48/ 22/ 0. 00/ m/ m

htsn7:hot springs 1400:dh0700/ 44/ 33/ 0. 62/ 0. 0/ 0

jffn7:jefferson 2770:dh0600/ 48/ 25/ 0. 80/ t / 0

mmtn7:mount mitchell 6240:dh0700/ 38/ 15/ 0. 78/ 7. 0/ 5

sppn7:spruce pine 2500:dh0700/ 51/ 25/ 1. 20/ m/ m

wyvn7:waynesville 2658:dh0700/ 40/ 27/ 0. 55/ m/ m

rtpmrx

smoky mountain temperatures and precipitation

national weather service morristown tn

1145 am est mon mar 7 2011

following is the smoky mountain temperature and precipitation

information, valid for a 24 hour period ending at 7:30 am.

station elev high low pcpn snow depth new snow

newfound gap 5000 33 19 m 2. 5 2. 5

cades cove 1900 39 30 0. 54 0 0

mount leconte 6400 39 15 m 8 1. 0

Robert,

If you go look on Raleighwx's model page he has a total accumulated precip map for the GGEM and it shows a swath of 7 to 9.5 inches of rain from far Northeast GA up through the mountains and eastern escarpment.

It looks like the foothills in NC and SC could easily pick up another 2 inches of rain. The mountains could receive up to 3 inches of rain with normal up-slope areas receiving 4 to 6 + inches from this next system. The NC and SC Piedmont will probably see around an inch of rain with higher amounts in thunderstorms. If this storm decides to slow down or cut off, it could be bring more rain to the area. This will be a very interesting storm to watch and track through the day tomorrow as the models continue to get a better handle on this storm.

Robert,

If you go look on Raleighwx's model page he has a total accumulated precip map for the GGEM and it shows a swath of 7 to 9.5 inches of rain from far Northeast GA up through the mountains and eastern escarpment.

[

Oops, thanks. I was looking at a new panel I found that I thought was total GGEM precip...guess that 100mm was just for one panel though. Makes sense that its much more. Just looking at the 18z GFS and I don't think it has a clue on the precip amounts yet.

Robert do you see Asheville getting any snow Thursday or Thursday night, I've got something going on then and wandering about the roads on Friday morning around the Canton area just west of Asheville.

yeah, thats usually how that works out. You're in a good spot for these kind of events (and most)...I didnt' miss out though, pretty good almost 2", and most of that was the last 6 hours of the event. The new ECMWF is not as deep or as far west as the extreme GGEM but its similar to the NAM more than GFS. It paints a deep slow moving trough with additional energy added still far enough west to keep the rain guns poised right at the Apps, most of eastern Alabama eastern TN, most of northern third of GA and the western third of the Carolinas through 78 hours and has a surface low develop near ATL that goes to RDU as the trough goes neg. tilt and tries to cutoff around 84 hours. This low goes inland up the east coast at 90 hours and the 5h cuts off broadly from the eastern Lakes and Ohio Valley, so once again, there will be comma head and upslope snows combo for the Apps of NC, TN and points north...starting early to midday Thursday.

Through 96 and 102 hours it still has snow in the Apps all the way to Ne TN and nw NC so overall this is going to be another good event, it really depends on exactly where the ULL cuts off and if its far enough west. I do think there will be some snow on the backside, the question is where the cutoff occurs ...right now its hard to say, but we'll hone in on this soon. Could be a 6" + event for the Smokies and Blue Ridge, slightly bigger than the last, the way its looking now, and if a couple smaller changes are made at 5h and timing, would be a much much bigger event, but can't say that yet. The rain amounts again are almost phenomenal from eastern Mississippi to eastern Canada with widespread 2" amounts even much more this time for central Carolinas, with spots of 3" here and there in the Apps and the Upslope regions next to the Apps. It has my attention for sure, and the ECMWF isn't the best model lately, so the ones to watch are the NAM and GFS as well as GGEM if we get those to all cluster closer, so far no luck there.

[

Oops, thanks. I was looking at a new panel I found that I thought was total GGEM precip...guess that 100mm was just for one panel though. Makes sense that its much more. Just looking at the 18z GFS and I don't think it has a clue on the precip amounts yet.

the 12z gem is wild. After a flood, it then closes off an upper low along the gulf coast and tracks it across central ga, then moves it north into western nc resulting in what is likely several inches of snow over eastern al/central and north ga/southern appalachians with 850mb temps to -3 and surface temps in the 30s. Eastern TN gets hit especially hard with 0.75 or more falling as snow. Needless to say this is an extreme solution that isn't supported by any of the other guidance but man oh man would it be wild if something like that happened.

I wish the GEM would happen. Against my advice my mother in law put tomatoes out this weekend. I would love for a little cold or even snow to finish them off so I can say I told you so. I told her the only reason they sell them this early is so people like her will have to buy them twice.

the 12z gem is wild. After a flood, it then closes off an upper low along the gulf coast and tracks it across central ga, then moves it north into western nc resulting in what is likely several inches of snow over eastern al/central and north ga/southern appalachians with 850mb temps to -3 and surface temps in the 30s. Eastern TN gets hit especially hard with 0.75 or more falling as snow. Needless to say this is an extreme solution that isn't supported by any of the other guidance but man oh man would it be wild if something like that happened.

Now I know you just didn't go and say that! That would be totally cool!! You're liablel to cause pandamonium with that statement :thumbsup:

Archived