Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SF,

Thanks as always. Even a delay of a few hours of 32 could make a huge diff., especially in the Savannah area. I wonder if the 0z will be warmer at the surface and at 850 mb.

My study of wx maps for big coastal winter storms tells me that if the low is just a little closer to the coast, it would put it closer than climo suggests fwiw. I respect your knowledge of the area, but wouldn't a closer in low mean warmer temp.s due to a little bit of ocean influence?

Man, if I wasn't sure you are content with whatever comes, I say you were a bit skittish about loads of zr :)  You seem to be trying to get out of a corner, lol.  But I know the scientist in you relishes the experience to come.  It's really worst in the night, with the cracking, crashing, and blue flashes with explosions, lol, so try to sleep through it.  Seriously, I'm pulling for you guys to avoid anything over a half inch of z.  T

Yes, but a lot of that is early -- when the cold air arrives in force, we've lost a good bit of the precip. Also, 850s lagging behind in panhandle -- I went from a nice period of snow at the end to all sleet and freezing rain on this run.

Not sure if I agree with that. 00z NAM is much wetter here than 18z.

I agree with the RAP doing well for our area...it has depicted the last few clippers very well showing the lee side dry slot and picking back up east of the area. So it's the one im watching along with the hi res models.

GSP's disco has peaked my interest as well talking of the widespread moisture.

it was quite useful during the 2010 and 11 winters as well IIRC.  looks like both RAP and new NAM put .10 over most of GA and the upstate and some show maybe a bit more (nothing over .25 but the maps i am using arent the best). honestly i know the big stuff is too far to our south, but i just dont want to be shut out lol.  seeing some day time snow fall is awesome and if we can get .10-.20 we might eek out an inch or so.  enough to whiten things up and let us in the action :snowman:

at 18z tomorrow, the NAM and RAP could not be more different at the surface.  The rap has dropped 2/10th’s of liquid jsut to the west of Atlanta with moderate snow falling and the NAM is bone dry there at the same time?

Who do we believe?

The RAP is probably more right, the NAM has continue to show that overrunning signal from 15-20Z more and more each run over N GA..of course its a weak signal with less than .05 precip but the RAP/RGEM sure seem to think its alot more than that..bottom line its the signal becoming more apparent on the NAM that matters more than anything, I think for sure there is a band of snow in NW GA during the late morning and early afternoon.

Trust me, as bad as the NAM is you NEVER, EVER trust the RAP at this range. As a Philadelphian who has tracked tons of storms this year, trust me on this one. 

I agree, but the GFS/Ukmet/Canadian all look more like the RAP for my area.  

The Nam still has me worried though.

at 18z tomorrow, the NAM and RAP could not be more different at the surface.  The rap has dropped 2/10th’s of liquid jsut to the west of Atlanta with moderate snow falling and the NAM is bone dry there at the same time?

Who do we believe?

In my experience, the RAP should be model of choice over the NAM. The NAM has been absolutely awful for the last 13 months and I don't even look at it anymore. It hasn't been right in NC at all this winter for any snow event while the RAP has been excellent in capturing details ahead of and during an event.

I see no reason to change that logic now. Throw out the NAM and stay with the more reliable RAP.

The RAP is probably more right, the NAM has continue to show that overrunning signal from 15-20Z more and more each run over N GA..of course its a weak signal with less than .05 precip but the RAP/RGEM sure seem to think its alot more than that..bottom line its the signal becoming more apparent on the NAM that matters more than anything, I think for sure there is a band of snow in NW GA during the late morning and early afternoon.

Can we not start by comparing the RAP's handling of the Baja sw to current wator vapor? Or am I thinking of something else? I've been wrong more than hundreds of times before.

I would trust RAP over NAM at this range everyday based on history alone for NW SC.

In my experience, the RAP should be model of choice over the NAM. The NAM has been absolutely awful for the last 13 months and I don't even look at it anymore. It hasn't been right in NC at all this winter for any snow event while the RAP has been excellent in capturing details ahead of and during an event. I see no reason to change that logic now. Throw out the NAM and stay with the more reliable RAP.

It would be great if we had the HRRR right now but of course it was still down on last check

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

936 PM EST MON JAN 27 2014

GAZ025-027-031>035-041>045-281100-

/O.UPG.KFFC.WS.A.0002.140128T1500Z-140129T1800Z/

/O.NEW.KFFC.WW.Y.0005.140128T1500Z-140129T1200Z/

JACKSON-MADISON-PAULDING-COBB-NORTH FULTON-GWINNETT-BARROW-

HARALSON-CARROLL-DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MARIETTA...ATLANTA...LAWRENCEVILLE...

CARROLLTON...DOUGLASVILLE...EAST POINT...DECATUR

936 PM EST MON JAN 27 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TUESDAY TO 7 AM

EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR PART OF NORTH GEORGIA INCLUDING THE

ATLANTA METRO AREA...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TUESDAY TO 7 AM EST

WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. PLEASE

UNDERSTAND THAT EVEN A SLIGHT SHIFT IN THE MOISTURE COULD RESULT

IN SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES IN SNOW AMOUNTS AND MAY REQUIRE AN

UPGRADE TO A WARNING.

* LOCATIONS...MAINLY ALONG A LINE FROM ATLANTA TO ATHENS.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...A HALF TO 1 INCH OF SNOW. ANY SLIGHT SHIFT IN

THE MOISTURE COULD EITHER RESULT IN LOWER AMOUNTS OR UP TO A FEW

INCHES AND MAY REQUIRE AN UPGRADE TO A WARNING.

* TIMING...SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AS EARLY AS MID MORNING

TUESDAY AND LAST INTO TUESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS WILL MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT MIDDAY

TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY.

* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED VISIBILITIES IN AREAS OF SNOW WILL ALSO

MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT IN ADDITION TO SLICK ROADWAYS.

* TEMPERATURES...STARTING IN THE MID 20S NEAR MID

MORNING...STAYING NEARLY STEADY TO SLIGHTLY ABOVE IN THE UPPER

20S FOR THE AFTERNOON. OVERNIGHT MINIMUMS TUESDAY NIGHT IN THE

UPPER TEENS TO LOW 20S.

Archived