• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

I know it is the pretty awful NAM at 48-54 hours, but is that second wave producing snow in Jacksonville on Wed. night?

Edit: It looks like the 0z Nam may actually be a little colder during parts of the storm in the SAV-CHS area? Anyone know? The low isn't closer to shore.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be great if we had the HRRR right now but of course it was still down on last check

+1: More info the better.

Anyway NWS has 1-2 my county. Since it's so large I'll use Asheboro as center point and take the over. Very confident right now they see 3.5 min. I'm using 15:1 ratios also out east of a line from Seagrove to Ramseur 4+ min using same ratio based off all guidance since lunch. 

"Watching this little piece of energy over Colorado race east and wondering if this might not perk the totals up a bit over the western Carolinas. Something to watch." Brad p via fb

Looks like the energy in Colorado is over performing. Could be help with west qpf

Ok, this makes more sense. Looks great for CAE to FLO - have family in FLO; maybe I should go visit! On the other hand- still looks extremely paltry for peidmont :angry: 

Anyone have any thoughts on the current satellite trends?

This is not that great.  We have a bit of warm air up in the upper levels that turns a lot of this into a predominate sleet deal for the Midlands like KCAE.  You may have a higher snow total in Florence.

It's going to be painful if the gradient is that extreme and your on the wrong end of it.  I am 10 miles from 2" and 2 miles from 7", sitting right on 5".

Tomorrow is going to be a lot of fun or very disappointing for our area.  That gradient is tight.  Every model I've seen has put Wake right on that fine line.

SREF plumes have updated. Just over 3" for Greensboro and Charlotte. Just over 5" for raleigh for the mean. For Greensboro, all but 2 members had at least one inch of snow. Better agreement than prior runs.

Yeah, every member but three showed 1-5.5" of snow and only one drew a blank.  There were two weenie members with 10" and 12", but even if you discount those, you still end up with a mean of 3".  Even if it's a little wet, we might be able to sneak away with something from this one.  The RGEM came a little west for us, too, and put us squarely in the 1-2".  The NAM looked like 1" or maybe 2" if ratios were stretched.

The members are 15z were pretty varied, despite a similar mean (about half showed <1" while another half showed 4-7"), but now there's decent agreement among them.

Time for the GFS!

I know it is the pretty awful NAM at 48-54 hours, but is that second wave producing snow in Jacksonville on Wed. night?

Edit: It looks like the 0z Nam may actually be a little colder during parts of the storm in the SAV-CHS area? Anyone know? The low isn't closer to shore.

850mb might be a tad cooler, but 925mb pretty cold.  on Twisterdata, 24hr 925mb looked like -3 around KCHS unless my eyes really need checked

Big time Ice storm this run for ILM - MYR - CHS, more-so than 12z, >.75" in many spots along the coast, >.5" inland.  RGEM does a better job imo than the NAM identifying amounts, transition zones and dominant type, this should be taken seriously, scattered power outages would be a given.

post-382-0-96932400-1390880146_thumb.jpg

Archived