Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eeking out over .20 would be stellar around your area. With every tick west, it will increase.

I might be a little to far west and north.

I'm really liking our odds. You are in a better spot than me, but with those ratios if we can eek out .25 or .30 or if this really overperforms and get .40 or so this will be one awesome event. 

Yep, all consistent. I think we're going to see more northward adjustments and it ultimately MAY save the SAV-CHS corridor from a major headache (major ZR).  We'll see how it all plays out. I may be grasping some, but it seems logical to me and we keep seeing northward adjustments. If that low would form, say 50 miles closer to the coast, that would result in several precious degrees warmer and maybe enough to get it above 32 for much of the storm.

Stormsfury or anyone else in the area, any opinion about this idea?

The SREF has been consistently far NW of most of the guidance throughout the model watching mayhem.  Considering just how far offshore the arctic front is supposed to be tomorrow still lends credence to me that the SFC temperatures will still make it to 32, and evaporational cooling processes will continue to keep those temperatures at or below FRZ, particularly once heavier rates commence.  A continual feed of shallow arctic air with breezy north winds 15-20 mph should continue to funnel down a fresh supply of cold, and drier air so temperatures IMO aren't going to go anywhere but hold or fall at the SFC.  (albeit it could be later than currently progged, but I still think everything's pretty much on course).    to me, it appears that the TD's remains in the mid-upper 20's during the event, with eventual full saturation as the column moistens up.   

I like those percentages...Showing 15-30% chance of 12" means there have to be some good plumes for our area.

For RDU the short range models at 18z were roughly (0.25", 0.3", 0.35") for the (12km NAM, 4km NAM, RGEM), where as all the global models (GFS/Euro/UK) were showing 0.5", obviously the short range models higher resolution must be picking up on something, very concerning.

Good discussion folks, just wanted to add SREFS have been awful up here, be careful putting any stock in their outputs.

Yeah if you are going to give them any weight, go with the mean on the plumes and half it. That is a safe bet. They tend to be too wet. They were rock steady here run after run in the 10-12 inch range for last tuesday on the plumes....I ended up with 5.

Rome, GA, was projected to already be down to 31 at 7 PM by the 18Z gfs and 28 by the 12Z NAM, but they were down to only 39 then. Any concern? Is this just another delay? I see Chat. was down to 31, but they were supposed to be down to 25 by 7 PM.

im down to 31 currently so it's not that bad.

obviously the Euro but close in the RGEM has handled thermal profiles very well. Also hi Res NAM inside 36. Real tough forecasts at any rate, hope everyone overperforms on snow and ice underperforms

Yeah if you are going to give them any weight, go with the mean on the plumes and half it. That is a safe bet. They tend to be too wet. They were rock steady here run after run in the 10-12 inch range for last tuesday on the plumes....I ended up with 5.

Thanks...Good to know!

For RDU the short range models at 18z were roughly (0.25", 0.3", 0.35") for the (12km NAM, 4km NAM, RGEM), where as all the global models (GFS/Euro/UK) were showing 0.5", obviously the short range models higher resolution must be picking up on something, very concerning.

That's not good news.  I'm surprised at the nam, it's usually overdone on the qpf.

very good point, thanks for adding to my concern.

Footer probs... Like the idea of being a little north at this stage, especially with the warm punch at 925-875mb coastal areas may see.

1foot.JPG

That tends to go hand in hand for what I have been hearing in the Southeast NC discussions from the local meteorologist. Said some of the numbers on the extreme coast were a little over done because of ice but that us 30-40 miles inland would see 96% snow. Still crazy seeing those numbers. That go along with your thinking as well WeatherNC? Thanks for all you and your comraides are doing

I wonder if the delay in the cold this will translate into a further north storm track. Any opinions?

lol well i have to admit that thought did cross my mind earlier this evening :rolleyes: but its coming in now big time and fast and furious.  winds have really picked up and down a couple more degrees in the last hour or so (35 currently, down from 55 430ish or so).  first thought was figures, we have a storm without worry about cold and then its not here.  then oh maybe the boundary sets up in a better location :)

its just roaring in now so am thinking unfortunately no :(

8:30 GSP disco update:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...
AS OF 830 PM...I WILL UPDATE THE FORECAST FOR TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY.
THE LATEST SFC OBSERVATIONS INDICATES THAT THE COLD FRONT WAS
SLIGHTLY EAST OF I-85. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL SHARPLY IN THE WAKE OF
THE FRONT. IN FACT...HICKORY COOLED OVER 14 DEGREES OVER THE PAST
THREE HOURS.
THE UPDATE WILL CONTAIN SEVERAL ADJUSTMENTS IN HOURLY
TEMPERATURES...DEWPOINTS...WINDS...AND SKY. TONIGHT...LOWS SHOULD
RANGE FROM THE TEENS TO MID 20S EAST...OR 35 TO 40 DEGREES COLDER
THAN TODAY/S HIGHS.
STRONG CAA AND GUSTY WINDS WILL RESULT IN WIND
CHILL VALUES FALLING IN THE SINGLE DIGITS BELOW ZERO. THE CURRENT
WIND CHILL ADVISORY APPEARS WELL PLACED AND TIMED.

SNOWFALL FORECAST...THE COLD FRONT IS EXPECTED TO BECOME NEARLY
STATIONARY ACROSS NRN FL NE ALONG THE GA/CAROLINA COAST. BY 12Z
TUES...THE AXIS OF A POSITIVELY TILTED H5 TROUGH WILL BE OVER THE
CENTRAL PLAINS...PUSHING ACROSS THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY BY 0Z
WEDS. THE 18Z GFS IS CONSISTENT WITH PREVIOUS RUNS...INDICATING THAT
A WIDE FIELD OF Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE
SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION BETWEEN 18Z-0Z WED. HOWEVER...WEAKER MID
LEVEL FORCING ARRIVES AROUND SUNRISE FROM THE WEST...PRIMARILY OVER
THE NC MTNS. MODELS RESPOND TO THE EARLY MORNING FORCING WITH LIGHT
QPF ACROSS THE TN BORDER OF THE NC MTNS. I WILL UPDATE THE FORECAST
TO INDICATE AN EARLIER ONSET OF SNOW ACROSS THE WESTERN NC MTNS. BY
MID DAY.
..AS THE MID LEVEL FORCING BEGINS TO INCREASE ACROSS THE
REGION...AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL LIKELY DEVELOP OFF THE SC
COAST ALONG THE STALLED FRONT. AS THE LOW DEEPENS...H85-H7
FRONTOGENESIS WILL INCREASE ACROSS CENTRAL NC AND THE UPSTATE OF
SC...PEAKING BETWEEN 18Z AND 0Z. IN ADDITION...FORCING WILL DEEPEN
WILL THE ARRIVAL OF THE MID LEVEL FORCING DURING THE PEAK OF THE
LOWER LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS. THE RESULT SHOULD BE A BROAD AREA OF
PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST...WITH THE BEST RATES BETWEEN
18Z-6Z. FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE THAT THE CLOUD DEPTH WILL EXTEND
FROM BELOW 1 KFT TO 35 KFT DURING THE PERIOD OF BEST FORCING. IN
ADDITION...TEMPERATURES WILL SUPPORT PRECIP FALLING AS SNOW...WITH
MOISTURE EXTENDING FAR BEYOND THE DENDRITIC CRYSTAL GROWTH ZONE.

I WILL USE A BLEND OF THE WPC QPF WITH NAM THROUGH 0Z WED. THIS
APPROACH WILL INCREASE SNOWFALL ACROSS THE NC MTNS AND ACROSS THE
EASTERN PIEDMONT. SNOW RATIO GUIDANCE FAVORS VALUES AROUND 15 TO 1.
THE AREA ACROSS GRAHAM TO SWAIN IS CLOSE TO ADVISORY SNOW.

Archived