Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn’t surprise me at all.  It seem’s like around here, more often than not,  when it gets to nowcast time the critical thickness lines wind up being 10 to 15 miles further north than everyone expected.  

The delay in arctic air coming through Georgia would reinforce that idea.  

I can second this - rarely do the colder temps make it far enough south, in our area at least, in time for snow. It seems it always takes longer than expected coming over the mtns. IMO that may be the only hope for most of us NW piedmont peeps, as the virtually none (other than the RAP) of the models give us anything other than a dusting from quick hitting showers tomorrow afternoon. 

Thanks, Greg. However, Rome was supposed to be down to 28-31 an hour ago and that apparently will verify some two or more hours late as they are still at 35 at 8 PM. With the slower movement of the Arctic air, could the storm track be affected somewhat and be further north? Isn't everything interconnected?

Edit; Nashville is on track, however. It just is that the cold air seems to be lagging in N GA and vicinity. I'll rephrase my Q: Why wouldn't that lead to a more northerly storm track?

Certainly makes sense that it would come north some if you consider what Brad P. discussed in his video. His whole argument for everything staying east is the punch from the arctic air not allowing the precip to come further north (and west). If the push is not as strong as advertised, it should allow precip to head further north.

i would agree is *should* (wishcasting) but now that i am witnesses the arctic front passage, increasingly roaring winds and rapidly dropping temps it probably will make it on down to the coast. 

if i am not mistaken, the RAP has actually done a fairly decent job with the microclimate areas around n central, ne ga, the nc mtns and upstate.  its interesting but if the low dewpoints in TN crash on down looking to be a massive monster virga storm

The SREF has been consistently far NW of most of the guidance throughout the model watching mayhem.  Considering just how far offshore the arctic front is supposed to be tomorrow still lends credence to me that the SFC temperatures will still make it to 32, and evaporational cooling processes will continue to keep those temperatures at or below FRZ, particularly once heavier rates commence.  A continual feed of shallow arctic air with breezy north winds 15-20 mph should continue to funnel down a fresh supply of cold, and drier air so temperatures IMO aren't going to go anywhere but hold or fall at the SFC.  (albeit it could be later than currently progged, but I still think everything's pretty much on course).    to me, it appears that the TD's remains in the mid-upper 20's during the event, with eventual full saturation as the column moistens up.

SF,

Thanks as always. Even a delay of a few hours of 32 could make a huge diff., especially in the Savannah area. I wonder if the 0z will be warmer at the surface and at 850 mb.

My study of wx maps for big coastal winter storms tells me that if the low is just a little closer to the coast, it would put it closer than climo suggests fwiw. I respect your knowledge of the area, but wouldn't a closer in low mean warmer temp.s due to a little bit of ocean influence?

i would agree is *should* (wishcasting) but now that i am witnesses the arctic front passage, increasingly roaring winds and rapidly dropping temps it probably will make it on down to the coast. 

if i am not mistaken, the RAP has actually done a fairly decent job with the microclimate areas around n central, ne ga, the nc mtns and upstate.  its interesting but if the low dewpoints in TN crash on down looking to be a massive monster virga storm

I agree with the RAP doing well for our area...it has depicted the last few clippers very well showing the lee side dry slot and picking back up east of the area. So it's the one im watching along with the hi res models.

GSP's disco has peaked my interest as well talking of the widespread moisture.

SF,

Thanks as always. Even a delay of a few hours of 32 could make a huge diff., especially in the Savannah area. I wonder if the 0z will be warmer at the surface and at 850 mb.

My study of wx maps for big coastal winter storms tells me that if the low is just a little closer to the coast, it would put it closer than climo suggests fwiw. I respect your knowledge of the area, but wouldn't a closer in low mean warmer temp.s due to a little bit of ocean influence?

yes, there would be some ocean influence.  SST's nearshore are quite cold right now, low to mid 40's.  wall of the Gulf Stream is a bit farther offshore and would argue the SLP would form around that area where the best baroclinicity should reside.  

Archived