Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.04” L.E.

Monday 1/24/2011 6:00 A.M. update: We picked up another tenth of an inch of the same sort of diamond dust snow that we saw yesterday morning. It’s certainly been our coldest morning of the season so far, -16.6 F as of 6:00 A.M. with presumably a bit more to go. I’ll see what the memory thermometer says when I get home later today.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0%

Temperature: -16.6 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 17.5 inches

-27 time morning at 6am. Lots of fun throwing boiling cups of water up into the air!

You got a little lower than me I think... I had -23F at 5am (though looking at MVL and meso-net obs, it may have dropped another couple degrees by 6:00am). At 5:15am my car hit -27F passing the Topnotch Fields on the Mountain Road, before rising to

-21F at 1,550ft at the base of the mountain.

Some folks coming into work now said they had -30F to -33F along the river bottom, and a woman who lives near the golf course on Cape Cod Road said her thermometer was in the low -30s. Thats impressive stuff.

There's some wind here this morning so that's keeping the temperatures "up"... not sure what is worse, -21F with stiff breeze or -27F and calm. Summit weather station has been going between -24F and -30F for the past 4 hours with a nice steady 25-30mph sustained wind. The wind chill has been between -55F and -65F so far this morning at the top of the FourRunner Quad and we may have to put it on wind hold. This is borderline dangerous stuff here, we are very worried about lifts like the Lookout Double and Toll House Double that have ride times of over 15 minutes with no shelter available at the top of those lifts.

Even the 7-minute FourRunner Quad ride will be brutal is sustained 30mph wind with ambient temps between -20F and -30F.

From Jay Peak Resort... this is a good move, only open the enclosed and warmer tram, while holding off on the chairlifts:

UPDATE: Flyer and Bonaventure Lifts will have a DELAYED opening, due to extreme cold. All terrain will be open and can be accessed via Tram.

I agree about only opening enclosed lifts until it warms up a little. Imagine the problems if an open lift had to be evaced this morning. I used to work at Sugarbush and remember a -40 morning. The only lift we were running was the Valley House Double and there were only a few people skiing. One of them asked me what I wore to stay warm working outdoors on days like that; I pointed at the building.

Officially at the ASOS at Morrisville-Stowe Airport (MVL) the low so far is -25F.

Interestingly enough, the temperature dropped 7F between 5am and 7am. I saw -23F when I left at 5am, curious as to how low my digital got after I left the house. Regardless, these are the coldest temperatures I've ever experienced at a place where I live. I saw -20F in Burlington two winters ago, but nothing in the -25F to -30F range.

This is one of the coldest outbreaks I can remember at the ski resort since I started skiing here 8 years ago. Impressive stuff.

Headed back down river after discharging our load last night. it's about -12f or so on the river. Had a breeze all night so no radiational cooling.

We jammed up in the ice so we are joining a south bound convoy that's passing us in the shots below. Let those guys break the ice for us.

All the tugboat men are saying they've never seen such ice.

179087_195011760515995_100000215188100_828152_5211442_n.jpg

Stopped. Convoy overtaking us.

180017_195011997182638_100000215188100_828155_1509122_n.jpg

Convoy passed us. Resuming tow.

164780_195011733849331_100000215188100_828151_128814_n.jpg

In the ditch, third in line.

Vim Toot!

Once in '94 or '95 I was on a Coast Guard icebreaker in the Hudson River around Kingston NY on a day when the high was 4F and we got that sea-smoke-in-the-open-lane thing going. Otherworldly.

Yes, cool it is. This year's ice is harder and thicker than anyone remembers. There is no open water at all. Lots of fox and coyotes crossing the ice and preying on the geese/swans & gulls who need open patches for protection.

The deer are crossing the ice too. They are having trouble browsing with the deep cover.

Vim Toot!

Archived