• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

Dendrite suggested it was time to start a new thread, so I figured that I would give it a shot. Hopefully I can bring the good vibes. Currently 11F here with light fluff falling. Going snowmobiling tomorrow afternoon, trails are in great shape and don't look to melt down any time soon.:sled:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 1.5” Snow/0.16” L.E.

Friday 1/21/2011 6:00 P.M. update: There was another 0.7 inches of snow on the board as of 6:00 P.M. today, still fairly dense stuff comprised of small flakes. I was out clearing the driveway of this week’s snow and we had that same stuff that Allenson reported – snowing with the stars out. It was intense enough that there were another couple of tenths when I checked the board about an hour or so ago, but activity generally looks pretty light out there.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.7

Snow Density: 8.6%

Temperature: 15.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 - 4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.5 inches

Dendrite suggested it was time to start a new thread, so I figured that I would give it a shot. Hopefully I can bring the good vibes. Currently 11F here with light fluff falling. Going snowmobiling tomorrow afternoon, trails are in great shape and don't look to melt down any time soon.:sled:

Bundle up warm!! I dont ride weekend anyways,.to many yahoos out there, but with temps at minus 25 this weekend,.I will not be missing all that much.

Bundle up warm!! I dont ride weekend anyways,.to many yahoos out there, but with temps at minus 25 this weekend,.I will not be missing all that much.

Shouldn't be too bad today. 10F or so. Would not go out tonight of tomorrow night. You just gotta know where to ride on weekends to avoid the yahoos.

Low single numbers this AM. If thingsdecouple Sun night, I should get down below -25 by Mon morning, Then all eyes wil be on the Wed-Thurs event, assuming it hasn't fled from the scene by then.

Finsihed the event with 5.0" of 17:1 fluff, AUG had about twice that. I'am now about 1" above for total so far. Jan is easily my most consistent snowfall month, now halfway thru my 13th winter here. Eight of 13 Jans have had between 21.6" (this year so far) and 27.5", but none have had more, yet.

Far N.Maine is still the relative snow hole, as CAR had 4.9" (while HUL, 50 miles south, had about 20"!) and Ft. Kent 2-3". CAR has 7" OG, ridiculously low for the date.

-8F this morning, has warmed quickly back up above zero

! Colder in the valley this morning, I saw. Leb went down to -5 or so.

We actually dropped a few more degrees after I posted this morning, down to -3.

Temps snuck up more than expected today from what I can tell. I didn't think we'd see much above 10 and ended up topping out at 16, now at 14. The sun was bright and strong and by midday, it was quite nice out.

Starting to cloud over some now. I wonder if this'll cap the cooling for a while....

-6F at my place this morning... inversion in place as it was warmer at the base of the ski area at 1,500ft than it was at 800ft in the village.

The forecast for the mountain is absolutely ridiculous for the next 72 hours. I luckily have tomorrow off, but not so luckily I am doing the weather/snow report on Monday morning. Being outside in the 5am-6am darkness checking snow stakes up at the mountain is going to be crazy cold on Monday morning. NOAA calling for a low of -33F at the mountain on Monday morning, with wind chills as low as -57F. That's about as low as I've ever seen it on the point and click.

Late Afternoon: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near -2. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight: A chance of light snow, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -21. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Sunday: A slight chance of light snow before 1pm. Cloudy and cold, with a high near -4. Wind chill values as low as -31. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -33. Wind chill values as low as -57. Northwest wind around 16 mph.

Monday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -6. Calm wind becoming west between 10 and 13 mph.

Monday Night: Cloudy, with a low around -19.

For those that are interested, at Stowe we are aiming to make our snowfall reporting as accurate as possible. For the past 6 years, Mount Mansfield ski patroller Tracey Eykelhoff (aka Spike) has been wandering around the mountain probing snow depths, setting up stakes, moving stakes, taking notes, and has found what he believes are areas of the mountain that will provide an accurate sample of snowfall and snow depth. Spike has taken courses at Mount Washington Observatory on measuring snow in mountain environments, he has consulted with the Snow/Avalanche Rangers on Mount Washington, along with some western ski areas, and has read a lot of literature on the subject.

We are starting a regimented system for recording snowfall and snow depth, and hope to finish out the season using these two plots. The rest of the season will act as a test of our snow plots and if we feel the data is accurate and legitimate, we may try to get the mountain involved in CoCoRASH next winter to make our measurements official. This summer, we'd also like to revamp our snow report page to include a lot more information... including live temperatures at the summit, mid-mtn, and base, along with wind speeds, and snowfall/depth at our plots. I'd like to make the web page a lot more "weather oriented" and less "marketing oriented" because people do seem to really enjoy looking at raw mountain data.

So, the upper mountain plot is right at 3,000ft. Stowe ski area's lift system goes up to 3,600ft with Mansfield's summit alpine area above that going to the peak at 4,395ft. The reason the upper mountain plot is not set up higher on the mountain is because we want to avoid contamination from westerly winds scouring the alpine and depositing that snow on the eastern side (where Stowe is located). The higher elevations on the east side, do receive considerable blow-in sometimes from the mile long ridge-line above (you can wander into the woods high on the mountain below the summit ridge and find a foot of fresh powder even when not a flake has fallen). There is a certain area under the ridge-line where snow depths can exceed 15 feet, though if our true mission is to record accurate data on snowfall and depth, that upper elevation area is a no-go.

The 3,000ft "High Road" snow plot is in a flat clearing, surrounded by very dense vegetation. The radius of the clearing is close to the average height of the surrounding trees. Wind is a big factor up here and so the dense wall of vegetation around the plot makes this a pretty sheltered location.

Here is a picture of the plot... on the left is Mount Mansfield Ski Patroller Tracey Eykelhoff and on the right is NECN on-air meteorologist Tim Kelley. I apologize for the quality of the pictures, I had moisture on the camera lens, so they are a little blurry. The snow depth stake is on the right hand side of the photo.

IMG_2857-1.jpg

Our base area snow plot is at the winter-time road closure of RT 108 through Smugglers Notch, not far from the old Barnes Camp building. The elevation is roughly 1,550ft at the "Barnes Camp" plot. Wind may actually be more of a factor at this site, but to the lack of dense vegetation around it. The vegetation is primarily hardwoods which do not do a great job of blocking the wind. Tracey has checked a lot of areas around here and says that this spot gives what he feels to be an accurate representation of snowfall at the base.

IMG_2860_edited-2.jpg

I wanted to post this so that when I report snowfall totals from the mountain, you will know where they are coming from.

Here are the last 3 days of data from the snow plots, all 24 hour measurements (no clearing), taken around 9am:

Thurs, Jan 20th:

3,000ft...2" NEW...38" DEPTH

1,550ft...2" NEW...18" DEPTH

Friday, Jan 21st:

3,000ft...2" NEW...40" DEPTH

1,550ft...2" NEW...20" DEPTH

Saturday, Jan 22nd:

3,000ft...2" NEW...41" DEPTH

1,550ft...1" NEW...20" DEPTH

There is a certain area under the ridge-line where snow depths can exceed 15 feet, though

Great information.. I wish more resorts did this. Stowe and Jay seem to make more of an effort to document their unique climate.

I think I may have hiked through this area under the ridge line you mention a few weeks ago when my brother and I were trail blazing to the summit from the top of the gondola. There was over 6 feet in spots, we kept breaking through and sinking to our waists, and that was before all the snow that you've had in the last 2 weeks.

! Colder in the valley this morning, I saw. Leb went down to -5 or so.

We actually dropped a few more degrees after I posted this morning, down to -3.

Temps snuck up more than expected today from what I can tell. I didn't think we'd see much above 10 and ended up topping out at 16, now at 14. The sun was bright and strong and by midday, it was quite nice out.

Starting to cloud over some now. I wonder if this'll cap the cooling for a while....

I agree with the bolded. I was really prepared to be cold on the snowmachines but as it turned out, I had to remove my balaclava because my head was aweating under my helmet. Last I saw the point ad click had me at -24 tomorrow night, could be but tonight dosen't feel like it will be too cold, yet.

Ive been gone for the past 2 weeks. Was down in DC for sucessful open heart surgery. When I left my lawn was mostly grass but it seems it must have snowed at some point this past 2 weeks. (Just kidding watched all your storms from down there).

Anyhow just looking at the models and trends the past couple of days. I am not t excited for N/C NE except for the coastal area wtith this storm. Trends are east, east, east. I sure have learned my lessons with models this season so the potential is there but certainly not barking at all yet. I was actually excited with the older tucked in EC solutions but the EC move east 200 miles today. Hope I didn't jinx you guys now that I am back, I seem to keep the storms away.

Gene

Ive been gone for the past 2 weeks. Was down in DC for sucessful open heart surgery. When I left my lawn was mostly grass but it seems it must have snowed at some point this past 2 weeks. (Just kidding watched all your storms from down there).

Anyhow just looking at the models and trends the past couple of days. I am not t excited for N/C NE except for the coastal area wtith this storm. Trends are east, east, east. I sure have learned my lessons with models this season so the potential is there but certainly not barking at all yet. I was actually excited with the older tucked in EC solutions but the EC move east 200 miles today. Hope I didn't jinx you guys now that I am back, I seem to keep the storms away.

Gene

Glad to see you're back and healthy. :guitar:

And I disagree about the storm, thinking NNE gets the goods. Anticipating a "correction vector" to the NW in the final couple of days before gametime.

Gene

Just super to hear the surgery went well, and hoping all the rehab does, too.

I won't allow too much excitement to build for the midweek storm, just enjoy the first really solid cold spell since early 2009. Even though MBY seems to miss the best bands in storm after storm, it's hard to complain when I'm slightly above my avg for total snowfall thru 1/22, and things look so nice outside. Last year at this time we were looking at the end of winter (the 1/25 torch/deluge) for nearly all of NNE, though we didn't know it at the time.

Sitting at 0F this morning--not as cold as originally thought but they're still talking monster-cold by tomorrow at this time.

We actually picked up 0.3" of diamond dust over night. I thought we might have another sun pillar this morning, so I bundled up, grabbed the camera and hoofed it up to the top of the driveway...but no such luck. The timing wasn't quite right with sunrise, clouds and diamond dust.

Thanks for the thoughts. I hope NNE gets the goods too!! Looking forward to future runs.

Welcome back, Gene. Glad to see that you're on the mends--all the best, man! :)

-Pete

early morning clouds kept the temp higher this morn. very light flurries falling now as presumably the arctic air moves in. This next system is a good test of how good the Euro is as it has been solid with a major system for us for several days....yes there was a 200 mile track change I know, but compared to other guidance, rock solid.

Not excited about -15 to -21. We are friends with farmers around the corner and they have a peach orchard. -16 kills the peaches for the season...happpens every 3 years or so as they know they are on the northern edge of peach growing areas, but the peaches are so awesome in late summer and I would miss them if the forecast verifies.

Anyone else getting snow now with no radar returns?

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Sunday 1/23/2011 6:00 A.M. update: As of this morning we’ve picked up 0.3 new inches of snow from a combination of the weak low pressure passing through and cold air diamond dust. It was cloudy last night for a while, so I’m assuming thanks to the clouds we didn’t get too cold; I’d reset the memory thermometer and the lowest it recorded was 0.0 F.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0%

Temperature: 2.8 F

Sky: Clear with diamond dust flakes

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

Anyone else getting snow now with no radar returns?

Yup, there's still some dust in the air here. Teenie-tiny wee-lil' flakes.

I guess this is the leading edge of the unmodified arctic air.

I don't care for the deep-cold so much either but from a weather standpoint, it's fun to watch the thermometer drop like a stone and see how low we can go.

-27 is my personal record low here (Jan 09). Not sure we'll get down that far but we'll see. Needless to say, since work will beckon tomorrow morning, I'll be putting the electric blanket over the truck's engine tonight and a heat light on the oil pan--works great for cold starts!

Gene

Good to see you're back and healthy, Gene. Glad to hear the surgery was successful... now its time for you to rest, relax, and enjoy some snow.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Sunday 1/23/2011 6:00 A.M. update: As of this morning we’ve picked up 0.3 new inches of snow from a combination of the weak low pressure passing through and cold air diamond dust. It was cloudy last night for a while, so I’m assuming thanks to the clouds we didn’t get too cold; I’d reset the memory thermometer and the lowest it recorded was 0.0 F.

Exactly what I got here... wasn't too diligent with the measuring but closest I could tell was around a quarter inch or just a bit more. Definitely not a half an inch.

I'm off today from the mountain but will head up to check the snow-stakes at some point here this morning.

As far as temps go, its sitting right at 0F out there now and looks like I hit -6F at some point last night.

Archived