joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the top on the ashes tootster...it worked!

Gotta tell those guys from Philly everything...

And, in the mailbox picture I posted for you the focus is not the mailbox but the dog.

Back in NYC for my two weeks on. Warm. Melt. Dirt.

Spring is just so bad

No matter where it happens

Buns and dogs depressed

Left PQI @ 0200/-8f. Arrived Brooklyn @ 1230/40f+

The snow lost that powdery look around Augusta. By NE Massachusetts it had gone to a thick pomade. Weary lather tinted in dinge.

Old snow in cities makes one think it's probably best to shower off after handling it. They can keep it.

The Mcigloos of Tolland are shedding their crusty piles of rotting miracle whip.

Brilliant perfect powder gone to dessicated heaps of stained mayonnaise.

Oh the pain!

I'll feel better in ten days or so.

Vim Toot!

One of the perks of living on a small less-traveled road is that the snowbanks on the sides never turn brown. Still as white as the day it fell.

Anyway, GYX really backing off the torch temps now. Looking like a couple of low 40s days and below freezing at night imby. Looking forward to an interesting week afterwards.

-5 here this morning at 1200'.

Actually dipped even further yesterday morning to -9F after my post. Didn't even notice that till I got home last night and had a look at the max/min... Topped out at 25 yesterday, some ten degrees cooler than forecast.

A bit warmer this morning at +10F but still relatively chilly considering the mild air off to our west. Wish we could keep it there...

I may be crazy but I am holding out for a few inches of snow on Saturday at the face, looking to ski it on sunday when the winds calm down. Saturday could be rough at all the mountains with the wind.

We are bracing for the absolutely worst on Saturday. I expect almost widespread wind holds at most of the larger, wind-prone ski resorts like Jay, Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington, Whiteface, etc... there's really nothing you can do about it when you're trying to run a lift at over 3,000ft in a 60kt cross-wind.

I do have hope for some upslope snow late Friday night into Saturday... but 3-4" of upslope fluff coming in on a hurricane force gale in the upper elevations isn't going to help much. It would help Sunday though because the grooming machines these days can work wonders with a couple inches of fresh snow.

Honestly I doubt I'll ski this weekend unless its a run or two, or some backcountry runs but the snow surface is going to be rock hard. Steep Mansfield backcountry with rock hard snow surface is a bit scary at times.

Actually dipped even further yesterday morning to -9F after my post. Didn't even notice that till I got home last night and had a look at the max/min...

A bit warmer this morning at +10F but still relatively chilly considering the mild air off to our west. Wish we could keep it there...

Very odd temperature pattern here this morning...

3,600ft is 24F

1,500ft is 32F

800ft is 16F

I could not believe how fast my car thermometer rose coming up the road this morning... from 16F (and KMVL is also 16F so that reading in the village makes sense) to 32F over the course of a couple miles and 700 vertical feet. There must be some inversion level between the base of the ski resort and the village because my car thermometer was jumping up 2-3F at a time and I've never seen that happen. As soon as I stepped out of the car you could feel it here in the base area and could almost smell pineapple on the breeze. Our thermometer outside Mountain Operations just went to 34F now and you can feel it getting warmer everytime the wind blows.

I checked Sugarbush's live temps and they have an above freezing layer at mid-mtn but I'm not sure what elevation that is. There's definitely a warm layer somewhere here in the 1,500-2,500ft layer.

One of the perks of living on a small less-traveled road is that the snowbanks on the sides never turn brown. Still as white as the day it fell.

Anyway, GYX really backing off the torch temps now. Looking like a couple of low 40s days and below freezing at night imby. Looking forward to an interesting week afterwards.

saw the lower forecast temps and breathed a sigh of relief.:guitar:

A couple photos from yesterday afternoon... went for a nice skin across Mansfield's 4,000ft ridgeline and aside from sustained 30kt wind out of the west, it was quite comfortable.

Looking south with Mansfield's bald southern shoulder, followed by 4,000ft Camels Hump, and then lastly the trails of Sugarbush further south on the Spine.

IMG_3314_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3325_edited-1.jpg

Another, larger view south...

IMG_3323_edited-1.jpg

Looking west into the Champlain Valley, with the lake way out there, and the foothills of the Adirondacks rising into the clouds. That foothill in the foreground is a 2,000ft+ hill, to give a perspective of how high above the valley floor you are when you're on top of Mansfield's ridge.

IMG_3318_edited-1.jpg

Looking north along the Mansfield ridgeline towards the actual summit... snowpack is deep up here. 6 feet in sheltered locations but due to intense blowing and drifting there are areas that are probably in 10-12 foot range.

IMG_3321_edited-1.jpg

A couple photos from yesterday afternoon... went for a nice skin across Mansfield's 4,000ft ridgeline and aside from sustained 30kt wind out of the west, it was quite comfortable.

Looking south with Mansfield's bald southern shoulder, followed by 4,000ft Camels Hump, and then lastly the trails of Sugarbush further south on the Spine.

IMG_3314_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3325_edited-1.jpg

Another, larger view south...

IMG_3323_edited-1.jpg

Looking west into the Champlain Valley, with the lake way out there, and the foothills of the Adirondacks rising into the clouds. That foothill in the foreground is a 2,000ft+ hill, to give a perspective of how high above the valley floor you are when you're on top of Mansfield's ridge.

IMG_3318_edited-1.jpg

Looking north along the Mansfield ridgeline towards the actual summit... snowpack is deep up here. 6 feet in sheltered locations but due to intense blowing and drifting there are areas that are probably in 10-12 foot range.

IMG_3321_edited-1.jpg

Awesome pictures. A link to the 2nd and 3rd in higher res would be appreciated!

Awesome pictures. A link to the 2nd and 3rd in higher res would be appreciated!

I can do that when I get home this evening... I think the 3rd is my personal favorite. Makes a great desktop, haha.

Here's a shot of the start of an avalanche I set off on my ski down. Crown was around 6" and it was the wind-loaded snowfall from Monday Night. The slope failed due to some graupel we got during the day on Monday and those little ball bearings create quite the unstable snowpack. You can see part of the original slab suspended uphill of the little spruce tree.

IMG_3335_edited-1.jpg

Actually dipped even further yesterday morning to -9F after my post. Didn't even notice that till I got home last night and had a look at the max/min... Topped out at 25 yesterday, some ten degrees cooler than forecast.

I took day off and the kids said I guess it is indoor recess (below 10F), I hadn't looked at temp, but figured it would be around 20, was surprised to see temp had dropped to 9F. Will be interesting to see how much warm air moves in today.

I live on a country toad but those piles are dirty.

Forecast last night was for 20s entire state of nh...i woke up to 17. going to philly for two days to enjoy the torch down there...return saturday, along with winter. will talkin dirty for cne nne mon-tues...

honestly, I don't mind the thaws, always a little depressing from a skiing standpoint, but it feels pretty freekin nice out right now, up to 30F, bright sunshine, first time in 5 weeks my wheel wells have been clean and the car is running SMOOTH. now just hoping to freeze the snowpack up for a high mileage tour on Sat. Enjoy the warm air all.

Yup, Low 40's with a chance of FRZRN tonight here.. :yikes: 0z models including the Doc look to be coming around to a moderate event here for Monday we will see how it plays out over the next couple of days

Yup, Low 40's with a chance of FRZRN tonight here.. :yikes: 0z models including the Doc look to be coming around to a moderate event here for Monday we will see how it plays out over the next couple of days

Except for 06z gfs which keeps it south, and retains the "eternal" day-9 snow event. It also keeps temps at or below normals (except for today/tomorrow) for MBY through the 16-day period. Might get a WWA for zr tonight? Should be gone by the time I need to leave for work tomorrow.

Only got to 27 yest, and only down to about 20 this AM due to some clouds, though I might find it had gotten lower when I check the max-min tonight.

Except for 06z gfs which keeps it south, and retains the "eternal" day-9 snow event. It also keeps temps at or below normals (except for today/tomorrow) for MBY through the 16-day period. Might get a WWA for zr tonight? Should be gone by the time I need to leave for work tomorrow.

Only got to 27 yest, and only down to about 20 this AM due to some clouds, though I might find it had gotten lower when I check the max-min tonight.

That has possibiltys for tonight, The 12z runs are off in our favor, Looks like the off hr runs want to keep the monday event south as the 0z and 12z bring it north, There is 2 waves and the one on weds is way south, We will see how the rest of 12z pans out, But i am getting optimistic that we get an event in here on monday with weak blocking to the north..

honestly, I don't mind the thaws, always a little depressing from a skiing standpoint, but it feels pretty freekin nice out right now, up to 30F, bright sunshine, first time in 5 weeks my wheel wells have been clean and the car is running SMOOTH. now just hoping to freeze the snowpack up for a high mileage tour on Sat. Enjoy the warm air all.

Dude I agree.. it is hard to be bummed about this type of weather.

We are torching at the ski resort... 35F at 3,600ft and 46F at 1,500ft under full sunshine. It is almost so nice out there that its causing a euphoric reaction among everyone after a long, dark NNE winter.

And really, who cares about a couple warm days? This is the mountain country of NNE... it'll get cold again, it'll snow again... all the snow isn't going to melt (6 feet on the upper mountain)... this type of weather feels great for the soul and mind.

I'm going back out to enjoy more of this, can feel my face getting a bit of sun today as it reflects off the snow surface. It is so bright outside! Epic stuff.

We are torching at the ski resort... 35F at 3,600ft and 46F at 1,500ft under full sunshine. It is almost so nice out there that its causing a euphoric reaction among everyone after a long, dark NNE winter.

And really, who cares about a couple warm days? This is the mountain country of NNE... it'll get cold again, it'll snow again... all the snow isn't going to melt (6 feet on the upper mountain)... this type of weather feels great for the soul and mind.

I'm going back out to enjoy more of this, can feel my face getting a bit of sun today as it reflects off the snow surface. It is so bright outside! Epic stuff.

Yea....really...all the skiers I know b**ch and moan about spring skiing until that first sunny 40 degree day rolls around. They shut up pretty fast. Nothing beats an epic sunny day of skiing.

We'll go ice-box agin over the weekend and set this snowpack till may. I have a feeling this will be a great great corn spring.

That has possibiltys for tonight, The 12z runs are off in our favor, Looks like the off hr runs want to keep the monday event south as the 0z and 12z bring it north, There is 2 waves and the one on weds is way south, We will see how the rest of 12z pans out, But i am getting optimistic that we get an event in here on monday with weak blocking to the north..

Gotta love the model continuity this winter. 06z gfs has LP over ACY on Monday, 12z has it in eek-land, only 250 miles north. 00z tonight... RDU? Montreal?

However, the day-9 event is now on the FIRST HALF of day 9, which is progress.

1 PM temp 46 in AUG, 55 in Nashua. Would've been a great day for watching my icefishing traps. (And Saturday's forecast winds would hurl my homemade topwater rigs into the bushes, so I'll work on my dwindling firewood supply.)

Careful PF, gotta watch for the pesky goggle tan :)

Grew up with buddies who lobstered, they had the most ridiculous farmer's tans from the ocean reflection. Always saw the goggle tan as a brand for someone who has clearly spent a lot of time having fun

Lots of winter left for NNE, but one more sign that spring is coming - had a fat cluster fly on the OUTSIDE of the screens on my office windows.

Over 1,000 posts - time for a "waiting for the late winter blizzard" thread?

Start one, Tamarack.... gotta pass the torch (no pun intended) along to a different NNE poster.

Not too bad so far around here. Topped out at 45 and just now back down to 32. I wondered if we'd get there tonight or not--clouds rolled through at dusk, capping things for a bit but it's cleared right off now and we seem to be radiating some. During a thaw, one combination to hope for is clouds by day and clearish overnight. So far today, check, check. Low dews help too of course.

Snow depth settled an inch so far today: 25" this morn, 24" now. I'm surprised at the lack of metling so far--the barn still hasn't slid yet!

Let's get everything swept through quickly tomorrow and hope for some fresh snow to cushion the crust. If things go well, there'll be a firm base under foot and some silk atop.

New thread after the front tomorrow?

Not too bad so far around here. Topped out at 45 and just now back down to 32. I wondered if we'd get there tonight or not--clouds rolled through at dusk, capping things for a bit but it's cleared right off now and we seem to be radiating some. During a thaw, one combination to hope for is clouds by day and clearish overnight. So far today, check, check. Low dews help too of course.

Snow depth settled an inch so far today: 25" this morn, 24" now. I'm surprised at the lack of metling so far--the barn still hasn't slid yet!

Let's get everything swept through quickly tomorrow and hope for some fresh snow to cushion the crust. If things go well, there'll be a firm base under foot and some silk atop.

New thread after the front tomorrow?

That sounds like a good break point. As for this neck of the woods, bright sunshine most of the day, clouding up around 3:00 or so. I attended the 1st grade Penguin Festival at my son's school this morning and it was absolutely beautiful out. I did not expect to be building snow peguins with them and thus wasnot dressed appropriately. Falling through snow past my knees without boots on ftl :arrowhead: . Down to 32F now, with the moon peeking through the clouds. Would really like to get down in the 20's tonight.

Archived