Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Wednesday 1/26/2011 6:00 A.M. update: Overnight lingering snowfall activity produced another tenth of an inch of snow on the board, which looked like graupel. It felt quite warm out there, I thought it had to be close to the freezing mark, but it turned out to be 19 F. I’d say there’s been a bit of acclimatization going on.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 19.0 F

Sky: Cloudy, a few flurries around

Snow at the stake: 17.5 inches

Quite a disappointment. I always hate the ones that lessen the QPF from day 5 inward. Who doesn't? :lol:

This storm may still have some surprises,Still think it ends up a pedestrian event, A tick NW is not out of the question, Radar looks healthy we will see, Still a decent winter overall and beats last year all to hell

maybe next year will be NNE's year. mid atlantic last year, SNE this year, gotta be ours next year, right? I'm not complaining though. we've got good snowpack and cold temps.

It's turning out to be an average year, so you're right - no complaining.

This storm may still have some surprises,Still think it ends up a pedestrian event, A tick NW is not out of the question, Radar looks healthy we will see, Still a decent winter overall and beats last year all to hell

I just said as much in the storm thread. Nowcasting can be surprising for some and maybe we get lucky. Time will tell.

I love when we get to this point in the season... nice snowpack, mountain and town are caked in snow, and there's sustained cold to keep it all good. Nothing like waking up to the smell of every woodstove in town burning hard, smoke wafting up above houses covered in powder... its winter in the North Country.

While I've been complaining about our fluffy snow, what the lack of windy, synoptic storms allows is for the fluffy stuff to build up on every surface imaginable. I saw some railings in town that seemed to defy gravity with fluffy snow caked to all sides and the pile of snow was literally wrapping around the railing.

Here are some shots of the caked trees and fluff on the mountain... classic VT winter scenes.

167" on the season, 3,700ft depth is 50", 3,000ft depth is 38", 1,500ft depth is 19"

IMG_2926_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2929_edited-1.jpg

I love how fluffy snow with perfect dendrites (large arms on the flakes allow for them to hang on to each other) just curls and holds to every surface. The hardwoods look very cool and caked.

IMG_2931_edited-1.jpg

When every little branch of every hardwood tree is caked in snow, the woods definitely starts taking on a candy-land frosted forest look.

IMG_2946_edited-1.jpg

Here's to hoping that slow and steady snow-pattern we are in continues to pile up the fluff.

Well, what do ya know? Steady light snow falling atm and visibility actually dropping a bit.....

Yeah! Radar isn't picking this up at all but we've been near 1 mile visibility for the past half hour here at the ski resort. Huge, fluffy flakes falling at a reasonably steady rate. Enough to whiten up the vehicles.

Nickel and dime. Nickel and dime.

To stay consistent, I'm going to try to report our snowstake readings everyday, so here's this morning's 24 hour data:

Date: 1/26/11

Time: 10:30am

High Road Plot (3,000ft).........NEW: 1"..........DEPTH: 38"

Barnes Camp Plot (1,500ft)...NEW: Trace...DEPTH: 18"

Comments: No change in snow depth at either plot. Estimated 0.4-0.5" on Barnes Camp snowboard. Exactly 1 inch at High Road.

Per our guidelines (same system ski areas and avalanche control out west use) we will be rounding to the closest inch. If snowfall is not undisputely a half inch or more, it will get recorded as a trace. Snow depth will always be rounded up to the nearest inch.

Yeah! Radar isn't picking this up at all but we've been near 1 mile visibility for the past half hour here at the ski resort. Huge, fluffy flakes falling at a reasonably steady rate. Enough to whiten up the vehicles.

Yep, just a coating on the cars & deck this morning. All done now though.

Intereting that Rutland Co. has an Air Quality Alert in effect. It is a little stale & rotten out there..... And, I've seen pretty burly inversions in the Rutland valley area before--almost like you see out west. Nice & clear at the top of Killington or Pico and purple haze over Rutland. I've seen that out in Utah too.

Very interesting now casting this PM. I have not read the SNE threads or paid much more attention to this storm as I have felt for days the precip shield will not make it NW into Central NH. I figured Manchester to perhaps Concord is as far as she is going. Looking at radar it does look like the QPF is going to make it here but I still don't think so. That ULL is moving due east would like to see it have a north component.

Gene

Very interesting now casting this PM. I have not read the SNE threads or paid much more attention to this storm as I have felt for days the precip shield will not make it NW into Central NH. I figured Manchester to perhaps Concord is as far as she is going. Looking at radar it does look like the QPF is going to make it here but I still don't think so. That ULL is moving due east would like to see it have a north component.

Gene

Just not our storm. But it sure does look and feel like snow outside.

Just not our storm. But it sure does look and feel like snow outside.

It was snizzling in Concord when I left there at 3p...basically just tiny snow grains. Radar isn't even picking it up.

The 18z NAM gives my place 1-2" overnight. I'll consider it a victory if that pans out.

I think we have a chance for some light accumulations this weekend with the clipper. the models aren't very impressive right now, but i like the vortmax tracking around SNE. Usually the best snows are 1.5-2.5 degrees north of the path of the vortmax.

Gene

Yeah, its deceiving looking at the radar, but the northern stream is racing in and should put an end to the northward expansion. There'll be a nice compact CCB over SNE but MHT will be on the fringe. Would have been something if that northern kicker had phased/captured this low, but we're still in a good pattern overall and there will be some good shots coming in the next few weeks.

My snowcover is getting a bit stale. Yesterday we had perhaps 1/4" withme missing out on higher amounts justoff to my south. I will be happy if I get an inch tonight, the gradient will be extreme over my area and I could see squeaking out with nothing where just a few exits south on Rt 93 gets a nice couple of inches.

Future looks boring. Maybe a clipper this weekend, then what happens next week? Don't see anything too exciting. I tend not to payto much attention more than about 5 days out.

This winter has been frustrationg for me. I had mostly bare ground all winter until I left for my heart surgery on Jan 9th. I left with grass. While in DC I watched NE get all the snow as we missed out. Now come back to a ton of snow I missed and all the fun is down south like in DC where Ijust came from.

Just waiting for my first storm of the season still!

Thursday 1/27/2011 6:00 A.M. update: I found a few flakes on the snowboard this morning, some reaching up to a couple tenths of an inch in height. However, they were so scattered that it seemed like they could be counted on one hand, so in my report it went in as a trace of snow and trace of liquid. The temperature was 16.0 F with partly cloudy skies, and snow at the stake was 17.0 inches.

Based on the BTV NWS discussion, the snowfall activity up here may have been associated not with the coastal storm, but with a mid level shortwave and a surface boundary. Looking ahead, a series of small disturbances will be the focus for today through the weekend. Any snow accumulations are expected to be light, especially in the valleys, although the discussion does indicate that several inches of snow may accumulate in the mountains.

got just over 4 inches here. I'll call it 4. Nice surprise! And not too much wind so all the tree branches are covered and it is a beautiful morning.

Hey...anyone remember what the date was of our snow to ice storm that left about 7 or 7.5 inches around here? What date was that? Thanks...it's missing on my snow calendar.

Archived