• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

I was similarly cruel to the central Greens. Drove rte. 100 a thousand times and the true cold and snow was consistently above Killington where my NNE begins.

180108_196601287023709_100000215188100_839755_3666224_n.jpg

Awesome map, thanks for putting that together. We have a few climatological break points that the skiers refer to a lot around here, one is north/south of I-89 where the mountains to the north are the ones that fall into the 300"+ annual snowfall category, another is south of Sugarbush Resort (the Doogie Line), and there is definitely a substantial break point at Killington as you have experienced. I'm sure Powderfreak has some interesting weather-related insight on north south break points in the Greens.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had 0.8" of fluff yesterday afternoon in a nice little snow squall.

Chilly this morning--down to 5F at present.

Didn't get out for any recreational fun yesterday--ended up helping the logger who's been salvaging all the trees we lost last summer in the crazy thunderstorm that came through here (7/21/10). That sucker flattened about an acre's worth of trees. Lots of big white pines, some spruce and fir too. We've got a nice pile of logs working and even hauled two trailer loads out yesterday. The logger-fellow is planning on building a house this coming summer and much of our salvaged timber will being going into the constuction of said house. Something about lemons and lemonade. ;)

Hoping to ski today though....

Looking good for mid-week. :snowman:

Oh yeah--nice map, Toot. Looks reasonable to me from here in southern northern New England! To me, the real NNE line is when one crosses into the spruce/fir zone which we are literally, just inside of. Two ridges/valleys south of here there is very little in the way of spruce/fir whereas here, we have quite a bit of it, particularly in the cold, low-lying spots.

Awesome map, thanks for putting that together. We have a few climatological break points that the skiers refer to a lot around here, one is north/south of I-89 where the mountains to the north are the ones that fall into the 300"+ annual snowfall category, another is south of Sugarbush Resort (the Doogie Line), and there is definitely a substantial break point at Killington as you have experienced. I'm sure Powderfreak has some interesting weather-related insight on north south break points in the Greens.

J... you hit my break spots pretty good. I divide up the area as north of I-89 (Bolton, Stowe/Mansfield, Smuggler's Notch/Madonna Mtn, Mt Belvidere, and Jay Peak), south of I-89 to Killington, and then from Killington on southward. I sort of consider Killington as the far northern point of "southern VT" and the far southern point of "central/northern VT". True northern VT to me though are the mountains that get 300"+ from Bolton north to Jay. The upslope angle of the spine is just maximized in that area and its also far enough north to avoid NW flow from getting blocked from the high peaks of the Adirondacks.

Hey guys-

My first post here. I live in Jericho, VT and this storm is looking nice for us in NNE! Enjoy some eye candy.

Dave in Jericho, VT

Hi, I think you PM'd me back on Eastern. I think that might've been your only post there! :lol: Keep fingers crossed for this system, been a tough year for a lot of the more northern NNE guys.

Event totals: 1.4” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Sunday 1/30/2011 6:00 A.M. update: There was an additional 0.2 inches of snow on the board this morning, and there has been enough of a lull in snowfall here that I may be able to break that event out from the next weak shortwave that is supposed to cross the area today. It’s nice to see BTV discussing the potential midweek system in more detail now. There was a lot of discussion taking place here on the forum, but with BTV not discussing much it made me wonder if it was really going to be anything up here. It certainly seems like we have a shot at being more than just on the fringe with this one.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 15.3 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 16.5 inches

Anyone have EURO QPF from 00z last night? Relative Humidity fields look great and further north than NAM/GFS, so I'd assume its further north with the axis of heavier QPF?

I don't care if we miss the max to the south, I just want to see .75-1" QPF added to the snowpack on the mountain. We need to build water weight and durability for the spring time.

Anyone have EURO QPF from 00z last night? Relative Humidity fields look great and further north than NAM/GFS, so I'd assume its further north with the axis of heavier QPF?

I don't care if we miss the max to the south, I just want to see .75-1" QPF added to the snowpack on the mountain. We need to build water weight and durability for the spring time.

00z euro total qpf for your neck of the woods is between 1" and 1.25" at 108 hours. Let's lock it in!!!

Mid level frontogenesis/deformation sets up over NNE on the 12z NAM. You guys into S QB and C/N ME will probably do better with ratios. It's like those deals where I see SNE get max QPF on the models and then when all is said and done I end up doing pretty decent. You can clearly see the deformation of the southerly flow in the H6-H8 mean wind.

frontb76.png

What is ratio's should I be looking at? Would 1 QPF be around 18"? Just curious. Working on ice damns and roof snow load today.

Tough call, but from experience, I personally wouldn't go over 12:1 for us at this point. The mid levels warm quite a bit. You may do better than me as the -12C to -18C layer will be lower for you. If Mike sees this maybe he can weigh in, but these juicy overrunning scenarios tend to be a higher density snow based on snow cores I've melted down over the years.

^ Yeah, in my experience, overrunning events don't have particularly good ratios overall--not slop but not champagne either. Better at the onset but lessening as the event wears on and of course often ending as some freezing drizzle. Surely it all depends on the exact track and precip shield but we're usually good for 6-12" of 12-14: 1 type of stuff around here. Not making any calls though yet! ^_^

Oh yeah, almost forgot--snowing nicely here atm. Starting to accum and very nice looking flakeage.

Pete and other skiing afficionados - what do you think MRG will be like if this one hits with 18-24" possible I'd consider heading up to one of the better glade skiing resorts in the area if you think it'd be good for skiing in. With the gradient I've seen on 850s it seems like the greens and whites will be ripping hvy snow at -10 c 850 to keep it from being too thick, that true?

Also wondering what the opinions are on the best glade skiing for the area.My take from what I've skiied is (I haven't skied MRG yet):

1. Jay Peak

2. Stowe

3. Killington

I think this storm could drop a wide area of 18-30" for the north country if everything hits right setting up absolutely epic depths not seen in the last few years, just hoping for some opinions from the folks who spend a lot of time up around these resorts.

Just enjoying lurking and keeping up with the SNE thread. I give up what is the difference between the weenies and the peeps? Watching my $$ leave my wallet as the crew is clearing the snow off my 220 year farmhouse roof. The rafters are old and not taking any chances!

Weenies and peeps are interchangeable. I need to rake a section of roof that I declined to do earlier - just noticed water dripping into the basement. :arrowhead:

Pete and other skiing afficionados - what do you think MRG will be like if this one hits with 18-24" possible I'd consider heading up to one of the better glade skiing resorts in the area if you think it'd be good for skiing in. With the gradient I've seen on 850s it seems like the greens and whites will be ripping hvy snow at -10 c 850 to keep it from being too thick, that true?

Also wondering what the opinions are on the best glade skiing for the area.My take from what I've skiied is (I haven't skied MRG yet):

1. Jay Peak

2. Stowe

3. Killington

I think this storm could drop a wide area of 18-30" for the north country if everything hits right setting up absolutely epic depths not seen in the last few years, just hoping for some opinions from the folks who spend a lot of time up around these resorts.

Shameless plug... Stowe's having a $39 dollar lift ticket deal on Wednesday for Woodchuck Day (our version of Groundhog day, lol).

It could be dumping all day.

18z NAM looks further south, but I was thinking about this earlier and think Dendrite is right, there should be some high ratio banding going on up here, so we could still do quite well without an inch of QPF. I do like the 12z GFS and GGEM.

Shameless plug... Stowe's having a $39 dollar lift ticket deal on Wednesday for Woodchuck Day (our version of Groundhog day, lol).

It could be dumping all day.

18z NAM looks further south, but I was thinking about this earlier and think Dendrite is right, there should be some high ratio banding going on up here, so we could still do quite well without an inch of QPF. I do like the 12z GFS and GGEM.

I would be there in a heartbeat if I didn't have to drive through heavy heavy snow. Whoever is up there may be in for one of the best east couadr powder days at a discount! What a bargain.

I think that all gets resolved starting tues up here, This could be a epic week going into next weekend for snow up here.. :scooter:

Definitely. Could be like 18" here if things go right for the midweek and then if it comes together for the weekend ... well, can't give totals of course but maybe 30" for that 5-day period? Seems like a stretch but I suppose the possibility is there. Exciting week. Low productivity week. lol

Yes. Wait for the 00z suite.

Brian, the voice of reason. By the way its great you are so involved with the SNE guys. Now I get so much more useful info for our area as people are referencing you in many posts and I don't have to guess as much for specific Lake Region info. Please don't move from Northfield!

Gene

Definitely. Could be like 18" here if things go right for the midweek and then if it comes together for the weekend ... well, can't give totals of course but maybe 30" for that 5-day period? Seems like a stretch but I suppose the possibility is there. Exciting week. Low productivity week. lol

You know it..

Archived