joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just had a round of steady snow here in Burlington, with fairly large flakes at 1 cm in diameter. It was nothing too serious with just a faint coating on some of the vehicles, but I took a look at the composite radar and there definitely seems to be a flow out of the northwest. It’s settled back to flurries here now, but hopefully it gets the trend going for the next couple of days. It will be nice if the mountains can wring out some snow as the moisture runs into them. 27JAN11A.gif

I wish to God that I could have just ONE winter in VT - at Jay Peak no less - and that THAT winter was a record breaker in terms of snow and cold.

I'd run a winter-long seminar on how to properly shovel snow.

Might be better to visit Ct blizz; seen his snowpile pics? Besides, the snow in the Greens this winter has been mostly 30:1 upslope - you won't even feel any weight while you're shoveling.

Here's a thought. That storm for next Wed? SNE for sure.

This is a certainty as that's the day I get off for my two weeks freedom.

I'll get to drive home in snow/slop until I'm somewhere above PWM where the roads will get nice and dry. The snowbanks will diminish with latitude and Downeast longitude until I shoot straight north up Rt 1 from Houlton.

That's the real heartbreaker this year. Each time I cover that last 45 miles to CAR/PQI I watch the bones in the potato fields become more prominent the further north I proceed. Above Mars Hill the fields go bare. By then the bones have broken through their thinning cover to expose millions of hard brown ridges.

The fields of NE ME are snowmobile-proof.

Added insult is the enormous wind drifts lining the west side of the northbound highway. These are heaps of the thin flesh which once covered the field bones.

They line the roads 6-8' high. A useless and un-rideable tease.

November (yes, we often ride then up there) gone. December gone. Now January gone.

February? A bad bad start. There's nothing there.

But I'll ride it!!!!! The SOB.

Vim Toot!

Here's a thought. That storm for next Wed? SNE for sure.

This is a certainty as that's the day I get off for my two weeks freedom.

I'll get to drive home in snow/slop until I'm somewhere above PWM where the roads will get nice and dry. The snowbanks will diminish with latitude and Downeast longitude until I shoot straight north up Rt 1 from Houlton.

That's the real heartbreaker this year. Each time I cover that last 45 miles to CAR/PQI I watch the bones in the potato fields become more prominent the further north I proceed. Above Mars Hill the fields go bare. By then the bones have broken through their thinning cover to expose millions of hard brown ridges.

The fields of NE ME are snowmobile-proof.

Added insult is the enormous wind drifts lining the west side of the northbound highway. These are heaps of the thin flesh which once covered the field bones.

They line the roads 6-8' high. A useless and un-rideable tease.

November (yes, we often ride then up there) gone. December gone. Now January gone.

February? A bad bad start. There's nothing there.

But I'll ride it!!!!! The SOB.

Vim Toot!

I don't think shakespeare could have put it any better for what the county has gone thru this year...

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

Thursday 1/27/2011 6:00 P.M. update: It was snowing when I got home today, with a tenth of an inch of accumulation on the board. For a while after we had fairly light, but steady snow falling, but it has since shut off, so we’ll see if the flow picks back up and leaves anything overnight.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 25.2 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-6 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 17.0 inches

I wonder if KLEB's thermometer is working properly...

They're reporting 40 at 3pm and they seemed high yesterday too. No one else is even close to 40 and it sure ain't here in Hanover today. :huh:

There was def something whacky with KLEB's ASOS. Though I think it may be back to normal, for now? Its down to 7. It said the temp got up to 47, Wed nite and THur morning! That was a hoot and a holler. :arrowhead: I think if it was in the upper 40s I'd be ready to break out the shorts.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/Trace L.E.

Friday 1/28/2011 6:00 A.M. update: In the evening/overnight we picked up another round of the same snow that I found on the board at 6:00 P.M. yesterday. I wasn’t sure if there would be a break point between the weak upper air disturbance that dropped that snow, and the impulses expected to come through this weekend, but the sky really cleared out and the precipitation shut off so that system can be broken out by itself as the 21st accumulating snowfall event of the season. From what I can see in the BTV near term and short term discussions, after this morning’s shortwave, they seem to mention three additional shortwaves, the one today, another one tonight and Saturday, and then a third on Sunday. There were enough of them that I decided to use a little color coding:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 410 AM EST FRIDAY...SATELLITE PICS AND SFC OBS INDICATING A LOT OF CLOUDS ACROSS FORECAST AREA...WITH JUST SOME BREAKS OVER SOUTHERN AND EASTERN VERMONT. ABUNDANT CLOUD COVER UPSTREAM AS WELL SO ITS SHAPING UP AS A MOSTLY CLOUDY OR CLOUDY DAY. MID LEVEL SHORTWAVE MOVING ACROSS NORTHERN PORTION OF THE AREA EARLY THIS MORNING WITH SOME FLURRIES. ANOTHER SHORTWAVE WILL TRACK SOUTH OF THE AREA TODAY...BRINGING A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS... WHICH SHOULD BE MOST NUMEROUS OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN. ANY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE QUITE LIGHT. EXPECT GENERALLY AN INCH OR LESS...MAINLY OVER HIGHER TERRAIN. MAX TEMPERATURES WILL BE MAINLY IN THE 20S...CLOSE TO NORMAL FOR LATE JANUARY.

&&

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 410 AM EST FRIDAY...LITTLE CHANGE IN THE OVERALL PATTERN THROUGH THE WEEKEND. ANOTHER RATHER POTENT SHORTWAVE WILL TRACK SOUTH OF THE AREA LATER TONIGHT AND SATURDAY...WITH A WEAKER DISTURBANCE SLATED TO MOVE ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY ON SUNDAY... CLOSER TO BOUNDARY SEPARATING US FROM ARCTIC AIR POISED OVER QUEBEC/ONTARIO. THIS COLDER AIR MAY MAKE AN APPEARANCE EARLY NEXT WEEK. EXPECT MAINLY CLOUDY SKIES THROUGH THE WEEKEND WITH THE CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHEST POPS INDICATED FOR OVERNIGHT TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY WITH SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS EXPECTED. ACTIVITY SUNDAY MORE CONFINED TO NORTHERN PORTION OF THE FORECAST AREA WITH LESS COVERAGE. ANY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THE PERIOD SHOULD BE ON THE LIGHT SIDE. LOOKING AT AN INCH OR LESS IN THE VALLEYS...WHILE OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN SEVERAL INCHES MAY ACCUMULATE. MAX TEMPS WILL REMAIN FAIRLY CLOSE TO NORMAL...WHILE MINS SHOULD BE A FEW DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL DUE CLOUD COVER.

BTV has continued their thoughts for possibly stronger accumulations in the higher terrain, so it will be fun to see what the Greens do with the available moisture and energy this weekend. The forecast temperatures look pretty good for the slopes both Saturday and Sunday, with roughly 20 F at the 2,000’ elevation for highs.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 11.8 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 17.0 inches

0.3" yesterday

Same here. Surprisingly we don't live that far away from each other but seems we rarely have exactly the same accumulations, haha.

Gotta love how the weather plays with the terrain in these parts. First off, around 2-3pm the orographic lift caused snow to form out of no where on the mountain. I was standing around 3,600ft in sunshine one minute, and then the next it just started snowing. It was almost like the snow came before the cloud, which seemed pretty odd. When I skied down to the base over 2,000 vertical feet later, the sun was still out by the summit ridge was looking ominous. Rode back up into the snow and this time the cloud ceiling was like 500ft below the summit... it always amazes me how quickly it can sock in up there; one minute its sunny and the next you can't see your hand in front of your face.

I left around 3pm and snapped this shot of the sunshine down in town, but the mountain obscured in snow. This upslope snow shower was in no hurry to go anywhere because steering winds were 10kts or less. I love just sitting in the sun watching it snow on the mountain.

Mansfield is on the left side of the photo under the darkest shades. You can see the Spruce Peak base area is still visible, but that disappeared shortly after...

Yesterday evening I then noticed it was snowing huge flakes down here in town (when we picked up that quick 0.3"), I happened to look at a radar and saw one of the oddest things I've seen yet... I've never seen the composite radar show the snowfall so concentrated on the RT108/Mountain Road corridor. It was like the pixels were following the road.

Pretty awesome meso-scale snow shower though as winds were very light out of the NW, and I'm guessing there was just enough convergence of winds coming out of the terrain gap in Smugglers Notch (which is located where RT 108 gets closest to the county border) to spark a thin steady band of snow here in the West Branch valley.

There was def something whacky with KLEB's ASOS. Though I think it may be back to normal, for now? Its down to 7. It said the temp got up to 47, Wed nite and THur morning! That was a hoot and a holler. :arrowhead: I think if it was in the upper 40s I'd be ready to break out the shorts.

Sounds about right--we were down to 5F this morning.

Oh man, the upper 40s would feel pretty summery right about now. :sizzle:

I don't think shakespeare could have put it any better for what the county has gone thru this year...

CAR had 5" last Fri, and now their "snowpack" is up to a massive 7" (was 2" before that event.) Hope it's not all blown into the woods.

we are not losing any of our snowpack and looks like that continues going into Feb with more chances to add to it.. :thumbsup:

It's true that essentially all of Maine except the far north is at or above normal for snow and snowpack (put MBY in the "at" column), but gfs, at least, isn't very bullish on significant additions. Stays cold, though, which is far better than what happened a year ago.

There is one good thing about this winter so far, SNE may be ahead of our area on getting snow but with the continued cold weather and the snow we do have we are not losing any of our snowpack and looks like that continues going into Feb with more chances to add to it.. :thumbsup:

Agreed! NH actually has enough snow to ride top to bottom this year. A little less snow in areas just south of the whites but go either way and good snow cover abounds :snowman:

CAR had 5" last Fri, and now their "snowpack" is up to a massive 7" (was 2" before that event.) Hope it's not all blown into the woods.

we are not losing any of our snowpack and looks like that continues going into Feb with more chances to add to it.. :thumbsup:

It's true that essentially all of Maine except the far north is at or above normal for snow and snowpack (put MBY in the "at" column), but gfs, at least, isn't very bullish on significant additions. Stays cold, though, which is far better than what happened a year ago.

I want to think that next weds event given if it ends up a SWFE would favor us here more then south of here as climo would suggest...

CAR's thinking on next week's event :

:gun_bandana:

OUR FOCUS GOING INTO MID WEEK WILL BE ON LOW PRESSURE LIFTING OUT OF THE SOUTHWEST AND REDEVELOPING OFF THE MID ATLC COAST LATE WED. IT APPEARS AT THIS TIME THE UPPER LEVEL PATTERN WITH COLD VORTEX CENTERED IN EASTERN CANADA FAVORS A TRACK CARRYING THIS LOW SOUTH OF OUR AREA LIKE MOST LOWS THIS WINTER. THIS TRACK COULD COME CLOSE ENOUGH TO BRUSH THE DOWNEAST REGION WITH SOME SNOW WED NIGHT INTO THURSDAY

There is one good thing about this winter so far, SNE may be ahead of our area on getting snow but with the continued cold weather and the snow we do have we are not losing any of our snowpack and looks like that continues going into Feb with more chances to add to it.. :thumbsup:

I was thinking along the same lines--I'd rather have what we've had so far than a toppsy-turvy season with several lakes cutters, thaws and rains. Yuck. :frostymelt:

I know a thaw is coming sometime--it's inevitable, really. But the longer we can hold it off and the fewer there are, the better. They just make a mess of everything. Even some snow/winter haters that I know would rather a winter just be steady and seasonal than all roller-coastery.

Keep 'er frozen.

Just went up to the mountain and checked the snow plots.

1" at 3,000ft with depth of 37"... and trace (estimated .4-.5" which we record as trace because its half inch or less) at 1,500ft with a depth of 17".

As per the usual weather pattern, we are still adding to our seasonal total 1" at a time, but snowpack is settling out faster than these dustings can come, haha. Its always interesting to wander into the woods at 3,000ft and find some new snow on the board but less snow depth than the day before.

Keep seeing some funny snow formations on the trees and any elevated objects. The light and fluffy huge dendrites that pile straight up on every surface, eventually start to lose the battle to gravity, but they hold on as long as possible. This is like a 6-8" thick band of snow that curls completely under the tree and defies gravity and logic.

Lastly, here's a shot of part of the Mansfield ridge-line at sunrise yesterday... beautiful winter scene that never gets old:

I was thinking along the same lines--I'd rather have what we've had so far than a toppsy-turvy season with several lakes cutters, thaws and rains. Yuck. :frostymelt:

I know a thaw is coming sometime--it's inevitable, really. But the longer we can hold it off and the fewer there are, the better. They just make a mess of everything. Even some snow/winter haters that I know would rather a winter just be steady and seasonal than all roller-coastery.

Keep 'er frozen.

Yes if we can keep the cold around even with some lt snows off and on we would be fine here, There is plenty of snow for us to ride on here and the trails have benn great in the southern and western part of the state, The far north is a differnt story and are hurting badly....

Same here. Surprisingly we don't live that far away from each other but seems we rarely have exactly the same accumulations, haha.

I work on the Mountain Road and quite often there is a difference in amounts between our house and the work parking lot. Could also be that I am pretty much only measuring once a day this year (we are building an addition and that expands to fill all available free time). I also think our house (beginning of Stagecoach Road) sits in a little bit of snow shadow.

Great pics, powderfreak (as usual.) Love seeing it when snow behaves a bit like taffy. I've seen it happen with 15" fluff on our porch railings, but rarely the complete "rope" as you caught with your camera. The earlier pictures of small spruce and fir topped with leaning snowpiles - I think of them as "snow noses" - remind me of the best winters in the Allagash/St.John country.

12z EC throw us a major bone for next week. We'll see what the ens say soon.

It has been much sunnier and warmer than forecasted today. Up to 31.7F.

Text book SWFE up here verbatium, Its going to be a battle with confluence over the north of us for this system, But the chances are better if we get a more amped solution like the Euro shows......

Archived