joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spent the morning cutting a new snowmobile trail from about 8:00 to 10:00 and then went over to Waitsfield for VAST snowmobile event. It was sunny when I left but around 11:00 or so it starterd to snow in the Valley. Left Waitsfield around 1:00 in moderate to heavy snow, giant flakes. Got back to the trail project and it continued to snow, S+ at times. Finished up and headed home around 3:00, all the time not really thinking about what the accumulation would be. Got home and measured my previously bare deck and found 5 inches. Very surprised at the total and measured in several different spots, all the same. I knew that we were supposed to get some light snow but was not expecting this much. A very welcome surprise indeed! :snowman:

Spent the morning cutting a new snowmobile trail from about 8:00 to 10:00 and then went over to Waitsfield for VAST snowmobile event. It was sunny when I left but around 11:00 or so it starterd to snow in the Valley. Left Waitsfield around 1:00 in moderate to heavy snow, giant flakes. Got back to the trail project and it continued to snow, S+ at times. Finished up and headed home around 3:00, all the time not really thinking about what the accumulation would be. Got home and measured my previously bare deck and found 5 inches. Very surprised at the total and measured in several different spots, all the same. I knew that we were supposed to get some light snow but was not expecting this much. A very welcome surprise indeed! :snowman:

Went out and did about 40 miles toady, Our club had there concession set up on 1 of the ponds here and a bon fire good times and a lot of sledders out today..

Wow, nice! Got about an inch here from the snow showers... 5" is pretty serious snow showers though!

I didn't see a radar all day but I'd be curious to see how that went down.

The steady 1" at a time snow season continues, lol.

Models look great for all of us in this thread. Its going to be a thin line for those in southern VT and NH though, even with H85s below freezing, I bet in this WAA southwest there's some sneaky warm air aloft that might try to sleet on some.

Wow, nice! Got about an inch here from the snow showers... 5" is pretty serious snow showers though!

I didn't see a radar all day but I'd be curious to see how that went down.

The steady 1" at a time snow season continues, lol.

Models look great for all of us in this thread. Its going to be a thin line for those in southern VT and NH though, even with H85s below freezing, I bet in this WAA southwest there's some sneaky warm air aloft that might try to sleet on some.

These type of events perform real well up this way, 2007-2008 was a good example of what SWFE do for our area.. :snowman:

Had about .5" this AM missed most of the snow showers this PM. Nice to see a SWFE for mid week. Last winter everything was south except for those funky retro lows that do little for me anyhow with a downslope off the Whites. This season (except for the mid Jan storms) everything has been south too and I am always trying to get the good QPF this far north. This looks good finally. Even if it comes way north and would mixfor awhile it is more interesting for me to follow a system that is going to deliver something than worry if I will be too far north. Sorry for you guys down in SNE you have had much more snow compared to average than I have. The VT guys have done well with early season upslope too. Time to give Central NH over to Maine some love.

I am not going to worry about QPF amounts. Looks like 6" plus, maybe way plus but I will take what I can get. Just don't want to see a suppressed system with all the cold air banked to the north.

Gene

18z GFS is very, very nice. Tons of QPF and warm air advection is a very good producer of precipitation.

I bet the sleet line comes a bit north of the H85 0C line due to some sneaky H7-75 warm layer, but still a solid hit for everyone.

Verbatim most of the heavy precip is all snow here. Then the dry air comes in aloft and the rinkydink last few hundredths are FZDZ or likely even tiny snow grains given how cold low level temps are.

Verbatim most of the heavy precip is all snow here. Then the dry air comes in aloft and the rinkydink last few hundredths are FZDZ or likely even tiny snow grains given how cold low level temps are.

Nice... yeah definitely seems like a classic situation where the warmer air arrives with the dryslot. Can see it nicely on the PSU E-wall graphics.

I really think we all have a good shot at low double digit snowfall. And for some reason, I'd rather worry about sleet than missing out with heavy precip staying south. Given the seasonal trends, I doubt it gets much further north, and even trends south a bit.

Nice... yeah definitely seems like a classic situation where the warmer air arrives with the dryslot. Can see it nicely on the PSU E-wall graphics.

I really think we all have a good shot at low double digit snowfall. And for some reason, I'd rather worry about sleet than missing out with heavy precip staying south. Given the seasonal trends, I doubt it gets much further north, and even trends south a bit.

I want the NAM/DGEX.

I do agree about sleet vs. no precip.

I don't see a SINGLE ensemble member with less than an inch of precip, and a number with 1.5+... Any thoughts Brian on the GFS' lack of enthusiasm for a first round overrunning?

Depends where the best isentropic lift is. I don't have the 18z GFS isentropic charts available, but you can see where the best WAA is at H85...SNE.

post-3-0-89808800-1296345664.gif

Use your imaginations to locate your states and cities. I was un-generous with the upper "Pioneer Valley" and placed it in SNE. I lived in Greenfield for two years (corner of High & Main) and sorry- low elevation tropics. Moved to Colrain next winter ('77/'78) CNE for certain there!

I was similarly cruel to the central Greens. Drove rte. 100 a thousand times and the true cold and snow was consistently above Killington where my NNE begins.

Felt generous with the central Mass. uplands. Rte 2 is the divider there between SNE slush and CNE ice.. I dropped the line to just south of rte 2 to place Mt Wachusetts in CNE. Same with the Berkshire highlands from Conway to Pittsfield. CNE.

I was very cruel to eastern ME. Ya, it's a long way up east from from N. VT/NH but it's low elevation with many icing events. If any winter weather phenomenon is more frequent in CNE than the other two regions it's ice storms. South of a Houlton/Millinocket/Greenville/Kingfield/Rumford/Bethel line is big time ice storm country.

I don't want to discuss northern ME at the moment. Historically NNE, I should have labelled it the "Maritimes".

Vim Toot!

180108_196601287023709_100000215188100_839755_3666224_n.jpg

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Saturday 1/29/2011 6:00 P.M. update: I checked the depth of new snow on the snowboard around 11:00 A.M. this morning just as we were heading up to the mountain, and I found 0.8 inches of very fluffy stuff on there that had accumulated since I’d cleared it at 7:00 A.M. I’m not sure how much additional snow fell down at our place in the valley, but it definitely snowed on and off up on the mountain. At times we had light snow, at times more moderate snow, and at times we had some sun. I’d say they picked up a nice inch or two today, and as of their 3:00 P.M. update Bolton is indicating a couple of new inches. It was really a gorgeous day on the mountain; even though we haven’t had any massive dumps this week, the consistently cold temperatures have kept everything mid winter, and there’s tons of powder around:

29JAN11A.jpg

When we got home I was surprised to find that the 0.8 inches of snow (and anything else that fell today) was fairly consolidated on the board, and there was even some ice below it. It almost seemed like the temperature had gotten above freezing. I hadn’t reset my memory thermometer so I can’t say for sure, but it was quite comfortable up on the mountain, so if it was warmer down here it might have happened

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 80.0

Snow Density: 1.3% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 17.0 inches

Archived