• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

Every once in awhile I see a flake. That would be our total snowfall....I don't see a coating around here. It appears that Mike Haddad of WMUR completely nailed this one, and I give him credit for that. Eight inches in Atkinson Nh, and 4.5 inches on Manchester, that pretty much jived with his totals.

Meanwhile, the clouds are moving out, and it appears as if the sun might be trying to peak out soon.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every once in awhile I see a flake. That would be our total snowfall....I don't see a coating around here. It appears that Mike Haddad of WMUR completely nailed this one, and I give him credit for that. Eight inches in Atkinson Nh, and 4.5 inches on Manchester, that pretty much jived with his totals.

Meanwhile, the clouds are moving out, and it appears as if the sun might be trying to peak out soon.

You're in the same screw zone latitude as me, also without the benefit of upslope snows. What's the snow depth in Lebanon? The Rutland area is down to about 9 or 10".... which fell by the single inch.

I'm going to be a full-time Eeyore until I get some damn shovelable snow.

It is not surprising that these large SNE storms are having little impact in NNE, especially NWNE. If you look at the NESIS/KU list many of the storms do not have a great impact on NNE- with notable exceptions. http://www.ncdc.noaa...is.php#rankings The KU list can be contrasted with the Lyndon State list. http://meteorology.l...ects/snowstorm/

Obviously some of the same storms- ex 93 superstorm tops both but note how much higher the Valentine's Day storm ranks on the LSC list.

I haven't done a full comparison but last I looked at the KU list it seemed most of the storms were below 12" for my area. With all these KU storms hitting the midatlantic/ sne it is not surprising our impacts are less than theirs. For us to get hit they would likely mix/turn over to rain.

It is not surprising that these large SNE storms are having little impact in NNE, especially NWNE. If you look at the NESIS/KU list many of the storms do not have a great impact on NNE- with notable exceptions. http://www.ncdc.noaa...is.php#rankings The KU list can be contrasted with the Lyndon State list. http://meteorology.l...ects/snowstorm/

Obviously some of the same storms- ex 93 superstorm tops both but note how much higher the Valentine's Day storm ranks on the LSC list.

I haven't done a full comparison but last I looked at the KU list it seemed most of the storms were below 12" for my area. With all these KU storms hitting the midatlantic/ sne it is not surprising our impacts are less than theirs. For us to get hit they would likely mix/turn over to rain.

Yeah, most certainly. I know its bad, but I need it to rain in Boston to get synpotic snow up here. No hard feelings, but if its snowing in the I95 corridor, it will not snow up here. Those areas really need to rain in order for us to get crushed.

And as far as KU storms go, the whole notion behind the KU thing is the impact it has on society. With population effected being a key ingredient, NNE storms will never really get to KU status. There were people that didn't want Valentines Day listed as KU because it wasn't a pure snowstorm from BOS to NYC to DCA... regardless of that fact that the areal coverage of 24"+ amounts was huge.

Its funny because a low end KU could include as little as a foot or less at BOS/NYC/PHL/DCA but we need a solid 2-3 footer to be considered.

I still think our time will come this season. Most of the North Country is having a "near normal" winter in terms of snowfall so far. There's nothing wrong with normal (normal is still quite snowy). In fact, BTV is officially 11" above average to date, so if synoptic snows actually pick up this way in Feb/Mar/Apr, it could turn into a big year quite quickly.

At Stowe, we are like 4 feet ahead of where we were at this time last year, so that in my mind is a win, haha. Like I said, if we are able to achieve normal or even slightly above by missing most of this storms... just think about how high above normal we could get if we started getting hit by these things.

Some snipits from BTV's forecast discussion...

This is interesting... nice 24 day stretch of below freezing temperatures. Given that most everyone else stayed below freezing (my high was a warm 29F, had the windows open to air out), we should be able to continue this sub-freezing trend for quite a while. The ice has got to be getting plenty thick on ponds and lakes.

ON A CLIMATE RELATED NOTE...THE HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 33F YESTERDAY

WAS THE FIRST TIME KBTV HAS BEEN ABOVE FREEZING SINCE JANUARY 2ND.

As J.Spin mentioned, it looks like we should get some orographic help here and pick some light snowfall this weekend.

AS OF 413 AM EST THURSDAY...A MORE POTENT SHORTWAVE WILL MOVE ACROSS

THE AREA LATER TONIGHT AND FRIDAY...WITH ANOTHER DISTURBANCE TO

FOLLOW LATER FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY. THE MAIN ENERGY WITH BOTH

OF THESE DISTURBANCES WILL TRACK TO OUR SOUTH...AS WILL ANY

ASSOCIATED WEAK SURFACE LOWS. SUFFICIENT MOISTURE HOWEVER FOR AT

LEAST A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS...WITH MORE NUMEROUS ACTIVITY OVER

THE HIGHER TERRAIN DUE SOME HELP FROM OROGRAPHICS. ANY SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THE PERIOD SHOULD BE ON THE LIGHT SIDE.

EXPECT GENERALLY AN INCH OR LESS IN THE VALLEYS...WHILE OVER THE

HIGHER TERRAIN SEVERAL INCHES MAY ACCUMULATE.

Some snipits from BTV's forecast discussion...

This is interesting... nice 24 day stretch of below freezing temperatures. Given that most everyone else stayed below freezing (my high was a warm 29F, had the windows open to air out), we should be able to continue this sub-freezing trend for quite a while. The ice has got to be getting plenty thick on ponds and lakes.

ON A CLIMATE RELATED NOTE...THE HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 33F YESTERDAY

WAS THE FIRST TIME KBTV HAS BEEN ABOVE FREEZING SINCE JANUARY 2ND.

As J.Spin mentioned, it looks like we should get some orographic help here and pick some light snowfall this weekend.

AS OF 413 AM EST THURSDAY...A MORE POTENT SHORTWAVE WILL MOVE ACROSS

THE AREA LATER TONIGHT AND FRIDAY...WITH ANOTHER DISTURBANCE TO

FOLLOW LATER FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY. THE MAIN ENERGY WITH BOTH

OF THESE DISTURBANCES WILL TRACK TO OUR SOUTH...AS WILL ANY

ASSOCIATED WEAK SURFACE LOWS. SUFFICIENT MOISTURE HOWEVER FOR AT

LEAST A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS...WITH MORE NUMEROUS ACTIVITY OVER

THE HIGHER TERRAIN DUE SOME HELP FROM OROGRAPHICS. ANY SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THE PERIOD SHOULD BE ON THE LIGHT SIDE.

EXPECT GENERALLY AN INCH OR LESS IN THE VALLEYS...WHILE OVER THE

HIGHER TERRAIN SEVERAL INCHES MAY ACCUMULATE.

THIS... has been the VT headline of the year. I've put away my shovels- put Stabil into the blower- broom at the ready.

Hey...anyone remember what the date was of our snow to ice storm that left about 7 or 7.5 inches around here? What date was that? Thanks...it's missing on my snow calendar.

Pretty sure that was Jan.18-19.

Was pleased to get 1.2" of 40:1 fluff Tuesday; this one, not so much. We had ---SN (yes, three minuses) 7A-10P yest, for a total of 0.3". I have no idea whether that was connected to the NYC/SNE crusher, or whether I had a clean whiff, as not a flake has fallen since. (Did see a few here in AUG about 9 AM.)

Looks like a cool but boring stretch coming up, unless things change, with 0.1" qpf total thru day 12. Bad memories, as we're coming to the 26-day period when last year (1/29-2/23) had zero measureable precip IMBY. (While points south were setting snowfall records.) Rather not do THAT, again.

Pretty sure that was Jan.18-19.

Was pleased to get 1.2" of 40:1 fluff Tuesday; this one, not so much. We had ---SN (yes, three minuses) 7A-10P yest, for a total of 0.3". I have no idea whether that was connected to the NYC/SNE crusher, or whether I had a clean whiff, as not a flake has fallen since. (Did see a few here in AUG about 9 AM.)

Looks like a cool but boring stretch coming up, unless things change, with 0.1" qpf total thru day 12. Bad memories, as we're coming to the 26-day period when last year (1/29-2/23) had zero measureable precip IMBY. (While points south were setting snowfall records.) Rather not do THAT, again.

I suspect / hope things will change wrt the event late next week.

got just over 4 inches here. I'll call it 4. Nice surprise! And not too much wind so all the tree branches are covered and it is a beautiful morning.

Hey...anyone remember what the date was of our snow to ice storm that left about 7 or 7.5 inches around here? What date was that? Thanks...it's missing on my snow calendar.

Jan 18. i got 7.5", then picked up 1.5" on Jan 19 when the rain changed back to snow. same event I think

LOL!!! 12z GFS shows a replay of yesterday beginning at about 150 hours. Long way off, but why should we expect different... Euro shows more northerly solution?

As a side note... what's the best pay site to access euro data?

Storm Vista seems to be the Euro provider of choice. 30 bucks a month if I recall.

And to your previous question ... yes.

gfs_p48_174l.gif

Archived