12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z EC is a nice hit for CNE and throws a little bone for NNE too.

The 1" QPF line runs from about BGR-LCI-EEN-PSF.

0.50" runs HUL-HIE-DDH

And then the gradient picks up decently after that. NW VT and N ME are 0.05"-0.10".

The story of the winter so far, haha. We were talking today about how this winter has been like an Adirondack winter here in VT... lots of light, fluffy snow with cold temperatures. Snowpack gradually building since December 5th. Usually the northern Greens get pummeled in synoptic events that come up the coast, leaving the Adirondacks more dry, but this winter something in the storm track hasn't been allowing these lows to plow into Maine. They reach Cape Cod and exit stage right.

I'm a little mixed on the potential upcoming snows. On one hand, my tank it running a bit low right now so a wide-right whiff would almost be a relief--it will snow again, I'm quite sure. How'some'ever, my inner weenie always feels a little snubbed when we're missed. :weenie:

We didn't get above zero yesterday either. Pretty decent stretch of zero or below hours, from about 3:00 pm Sunday through at least 8:00 am today.

Up to two above now. Balmy! ;)

The story of the winter so far, haha. We were talking today about how this winter has been like an Adirondack winter here in VT...

Good analogy, PF... I hadn't thought of it that way but that's a great way to describe the winter thus far. We've been a litttle more synopticy than you folks have in NW VT but the point works here too.

With regard to accumulations at the house, it’s felt like pulling teeth this past week getting to the 100-inch mark for season snowfall, but this event finally put things over the top. We have definitely fallen way off the strong pace for snowfall that we were setting for the first half of the month. However, since there haven’t been any huge Januarys in the five years that I’ve been keeping snowfall data here, we just set a January record for snowfall in my data set with 51.2 inches, passing January ’08-’09 which finished at 50.9 inches. There are still almost seven full days left this month, so everything beyond this point will be establishing the new high mark for January snowfall in my records.

You know we live in a snowy part of the country when we've missed most of the synoptic storms and you've still had over 100" on the season so far. I've been keeping crude records (nothing as comprehensive as you) and shows me in the 80-85" range on the Mountain Road between the ski area and village center.

Also impressive is the fact that J.Spin's data shows how although we've missed all the big SNE snowfalls this month, this area has still recieved more snow than BOS, PVD, BDL, and ORH in January. Thank god for upslope otherwise I probably would've gone off the deep end missing all these storms.

Good analogy, PF... I hadn't thought of it that way but that's a great way to describe the winter thus far. We've been a litttle more synopticy than you folks have in NW VT but the point works here too.

Haha, someone this morning was wondering if Stowe was relocated to Lake Placid. Lots of little, fluffy snowfalls, consistently cold temperatures, and some wind. The snowpack here looks very much like and Adirondack "pack" in that there's just a bunch of small, 3" thick layers throughout with absolutely no ice or crust. Just by looking at the snowpack you can tell we've recieved a lot of fluffy ~5-6" events, lol.

Yeah I've gotta say if there is a way for a winter pattern to keep most people at least reasonably happy, its a storm track that impacts folks in SNE up through eastern CNE and eastern NNE... while we just bank on NW flow to wring out snow. The areas getting the most synoptic snow this season are the ones that get nothing out of a NW flow, so it does work out. I'd just like one good dump of 12-15" of 10:1 ratio snow to add substance to the snowpack.

I'd just like one good dump of 12-15" of 10:1 ratio snow to add substance to the snowpack.

you mean like 2 weeks ago PF. us new englanders have the worst memories, its a defense mechanism built up after years of thaws and horrific weather :)

its still early, and, old man winter has a way of balancing things out, every time we start dry and late we get April/May bombs. Every time we start early it goes high and dry in March. No data to support this, just 35 years in New England.

balmy this morning, -2, nice SW wind though, xc ski yesterday on the finest stryofoam nature could provide, great grip for the kick and glide

Haha, someone this morning was wondering if Stowe was relocated to Lake Placid. Lots of little, fluffy snowfalls, consistently cold temperatures, and some wind. The snowpack here looks very much like and Adirondack "pack" in that there's just a bunch of small, 3" thick layers throughout with absolutely no ice or crust. Just by looking at the snowpack you can tell we've recieved a lot of fluffy ~5-6" events, lol.

Yeah I've gotta say if there is a way for a winter pattern to keep most people at least reasonably happy, its a storm track that impacts folks in SNE up through eastern CNE and eastern NNE... while we just bank on NW flow to wring out snow. The areas getting the most synoptic snow this season are the ones that get nothing out of a NW flow, so it does work out. I'd just like one good dump of 12-15" of 10:1 ratio snow to add substance to the snowpack.

What ADK snow pack has no ice or crust? Every single part of the high peaks is an ice chest. half the time it's from freezing fog that crusts the snow pack and rimes the trees.

Regardless...PF your right...Nor. VT def. hasn't gotten that 18-24 inch high density storm snow this year. I think with the way energy is diving out of the northern stream and amplifying its very hard to get the 500mb trough to go negative at the right time in order to swing the center of low pressure further north. However...perhaps - and the gfs sorta supports this- over the next two weeks we'll see that coastal cold front pull back a bit and move the storm track to the NW a touch. As we move into feb. I think no. vt gets some more storm snows.

Amazingly...i really don't think I would have ever thought I would be writing this in a la nina year. I mean...what a wacko year.

its still early, and, old man winter has a way of balancing things out, every time we start dry and late we get April/May bombs. Every time we start early it goes high and dry in March. No data to support this, just 35 years in New England.

Couldn't agree more. No data to back it up here either--but it seems that a strong start brings a paltry end and a slow start often yields a full finale. This year, at least in this part of NNE, we're somewhere right in the middle.

Going into the season, my thoughts were that we'd have a solid, good ol' fashioned winter--nothing la epic but not a crapper like last year. So far, so good.

My mantra for the season this year: slow & steady. ^_^

Couldn't agree more. No data to back it up here either but it seems that a strong start brings a paltry end and a slow start often yields a full finale., This year, at least in this part of NNE, we're somewhere right in the middle.

Going into the season, my thoughts were that we'd have a solid, good ol' fashioned winter--nothing la epic but not a crapper like last year. So far, so good.

My mantra for the season this year: slow & steady. ^_^

Going into this winter, I thought that we could have a moderated version of what we ended with last year and to some extent we did, The strong blocking and retro bombs that left us virtually untouched while Burlington had a historic snowfall, stuck around a bit but has mellowed considerably. Oftentimes it seems like the end of winter predicts the first half of the next winter. 2006-07 was awful to start out with, I think we got an unexpected and not very widespread 10" on MLK weekend and that was about it until Valentine's Day and then all hell broke loose and we were buried. That pattern continued in 07' - 08", for the first half, 08'-09 was good but shut down early and we all know about last year's suckfest. I have absolutely no scientific reasoning or evidence to back anything up but patterns definitely seem to ebb and flow and pattern persistence seems to move from one season to the next.

this winter something in the storm track hasn't been allowing these lows to plow into Maine. They reach Cape Cod and exit stage right.

Better than last year, when they made the turn off ACY and gave us zilch. And I say that not having seen +SN yet IMBY (though I've twice driven in blz conditions in AUG.) Might've been a short stretch of hvy snow overnight on 12/27 - hard to judge with only spotlight-range visibility. Last "for-sure" +SN that lasted more than a few minutes IMBY was 2/23/09. Still, it's nice to have about normal snowfall and snowpack on this anniversary of the end of last winter. (Hvy rain with +25 temp departure)

About 1/2" new in AUG, with some pixie dust still drifting down. I doubt we made 1/4" at home. 06z gfs now has Wed-Thurs a complete whiff for AUG and points NW, though other models are nicer.

if it whiffs up here, I hope it whiffs in SNE. Yes, I am an evil man :devilsmiley:, but I'm quite envious of the snows down in CT/MA this year after living in MA for 6 years and getting shafted just about every year I was down there. Move back to Maine, and it's the opposite of what I was expecting. But, at least we have a good snowpack, nice stretch of cold air, with more in site. Might be kinda nice to not have to snowblow this week. But only for this week. I expect a storm next week :thumbsup:

What ADK snow pack has no ice or crust? Every single part of the high peaks is an ice chest. half the time it's from freezing fog that crusts the snow pack and rimes the trees.

Haha, you're right but I grew up skiing at Gore and Whiteface (my first seasons pass!) and more often than not, they just get a lot of "light" snowfalls. Sure they do get the ice (mostly when we get those big cutters) but this winter just seems to be like what I remember over there... lots of light, fluffy snowfall that add up very, very slowly.

C'mon, you know we are spoiled over here in VT... we are supposed to get big upslope snows as well as big synoptic snows. Its the VT way of life. Synoptic storm rolls in and drops 12-20" of dense stuff, then it goes to NW-flow upslope fluff which adds another 1-2 feet. Valentines Day, St. Patty's Day, and Tax Day 2007 are all good examples of this, haha. Couple feet of synoptic snow, followed by another couple feet of upslope in the 24-48 hours following the storm.

you mean like 2 weeks ago PF. us new englanders have the worst memories, its a defense mechanism built up after years of thaws and horrific weather :)

balmy this morning, -2, nice SW wind though, xc ski yesterday on the finest stryofoam nature could provide, great grip for the kick and glide

Haha that was close and certainly helped, but I'm not sure we got over 1" of QPF in that. Ended up with around 8-9" down in Stowe Village and around a foot on the mountain, but I bet that was like 3/4ths of an inch of liquid.

I'm looking for that 1.5" QPF event where the woods completely change overnight... you know one of those storms where the brush just disappears overnight. I'll take another Feb 22-23 from last year... 3" of liquid and 30" of caking snow.

Your observation(s) do seem correct... we have bad memories... and Mother Nature likes her averages. I do have hope that things turn around later in the season when the pattern relaxes a bit. Its not like this winter has been bad (actually skiing/riding is better than at any point last season) and snowfall is on pace to be just about average or even a bit above. With that said, I bet our actual liquid equiv is a lot lower than average.

Checked the snow plots at Stowe around 10:30am and found:

3,000ft...1" NEW...38" DEPTH

1,500ft...1" NEW...18" DEPTH

We have picked up 6-8" at the stakes in the past 6 days, and yet our depths are at exactly the same level they were last Thursday. This is what I've been talking about... it snows and snows and yet the snow depths don't move because the snow is so fluffy. We did get up to 41" and 20" on Friday, but it has since settled back down. In fact, even with 1" of new snow today, our snow depth actually decreased in the past 24 hours.

positive Scott, positive, those big ones were AFTER january, 2000-2001 was the ridiculous year when every storm seemed to deliver.

That is true... I always forget that historically January is not an overly snowy month (just lots a little snowfalls) because the jet stream is usually at its furthest south point in the seasonal progression; that leaves us cold and dry. I'm waiting for this jet pattern to lift just a bit north as we head towards spring and the seasonal progression northward of the jet stream brings our area back into the game for a storm track.

Couldn't agree more. No data to back it up here either--but it seems that a strong start brings a paltry end and a slow start often yields a full finale. This year, at least in this part of NNE, we're somewhere right in the middle.

/quote]

"Right in the middle" is rare. Thru the end of 2010, the snow season IMBY splits right down the middle on avg: ONDJ - 43.6", FMAM - 43.7". However, individual seasons swing wildly from early- to late-weighted:

Seas...ONDJ..FMAM

98-99....36.1"...43.1"

99-00....27.4"...39.8"

00-01....47.2"...89.9"

01-02....45.1"...27.4"

02-03....40.3"...27.5"

03-04....46.9"...25.8"

04-05....30.9"...63.4"

05-06....45.0".....7.8"

06-07....19.1"...76.2"

07-08....75.0"...67.3"

08-09....60.1"...41.3"

09-10....49.7"...15.1"

Only 98-99 and 07-08 come anywhere near close to the 50/50 avg. All of the others have a split no smaller than 59/41. 3 of the past 5 seasons have one of the halves at 77-85%. Small sample size and all, but it seems like a preponderance of schizo winters. Another odd note on early demise winters: it's been since 2007 since we've had a 4" or greater snowfall after March 2.

anyone with 12Z Euro, can you give me QPF for Plymouth NH area? Thanks so much. I liked someones idea of a qpf thread for Euro!!!!!

1.00" PSM-FIT-BDL-BDR (and a little dot near Eastport, ME)

0.50" HUL-IZG-EEN-AQW

0.25" CAR-GNR-1P1-VSF-ALB

0.10" FVE-1V4-MPV-RME

0.05" EFK-BTV

0.50" HUL-IZG-EEN-AQW

0.10" FVE-1V4-MPV-RME

0.05" EFK-BTV

Thank you Brian! Someone made a thread today about posting a QPF thread only for Ukie and Euro. Maybe some type of grid with the NE citie?. So many people ask for QPF info. Sometimes it is covered (I usually lurk and wait) but other times especially of NNE it is not and you are left guessing. Your good about posting cause your up here. I guess I will take my .25" or so and run with it!

Gene

0.50" HUL-IZG-EEN-AQW

0.10" FVE-1V4-MPV-RME

0.05" EFK-BTV

The boldfaced segment passes right over my dooryard. I'll be surprised and some pleased if we get half an inch qpf, which would likely mean 6-8". Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but I'm thinking low-end WWA at best for MBY.

The boldfaced segment passes right over my dooryard. I'll be surprised and some pleased if we get half an inch qpf, which would likely mean 6-8". Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but I'm thinking low-end WWA at best for MBY.

12z slashed and gashed the 00z totals for NNE...so I'm pessimistic now too.

12z slashed and gashed the 00z totals for NNE...so I'm pessimistic now too.

I figured it must not have gone well when I looked at the NWS and they dropped me to a 30% chance of lght snow for WEd/ Thurs. Oh well I was never feeling this one.

I just got a glimpse of the NNE temps and was shocked to see the coldest areas were in the foothills from NH to ME.

The high here was 14.8F. I'm one of the coldest in the state right now with 7F.

Finished with 1.1" new snow this morning from 0.04" w.e. Hopefully the EC pulls off the Wed/Thu miracle and then we get some clipper action on the weekend. I'd like to see the vortmax track right through SNE.

I just got a glimpse of the NNE temps and was shocked to see the coldest areas were in the foothills from NH to ME.

The high here was 14.8F. I'm one of the coldest in the state right now with 7F.

Finished with 1.1" new snow this morning from 0.04" w.e. Hopefully the EC pulls off the Wed/Thu miracle and then we get some clipper action on the weekend. I'd like to see the vortmax track right through SNE.

I'm all for seeing some jackpot action in NNE for once.

I'm still hopeful for tomorrow night ... figuring there'll be some surprises with nowcasting.

0.5" accum from today's snow event which once again favored our friends to the south.

5.1F

I'm all for seeing some jackpot action in NNE for once.

I'm still hopeful for tomorrow night ... figuring there'll be some surprises with nowcasting.

0.5" accum from today's snow event which once again favored our friends to the south.

5.1F

Does not seem like our winter for jackpots.........

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Tuesday 1/25/2011 6:00 P.M. update: We picked up 0.3 inches of snow from today’s activity, with light snow falling at the 6:00 P.M. observation time. The snow has tapered off to just flurries at this point.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3%

Temperature: 18.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

Archived