joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting night ahead trying to guess where the R/S will be. I am concentrating in my area. Looking at 6Z NAM column just gets to freezing at Plymouth. I am going with 6-10" of plaster for me with just the possibility of a brief mix. Clouds got to come in fast today to hold the low level cold so if I mix it will be a period of freezing rain not just rain. If I stay all snow tomorrow will be great picture weather depending on how much wind on the back side.

Gene

Very interesting night ahead trying to guess where the R/S will be. I am concentrating in my area. Looking at 6Z NAM column just gets to freezing at Plymouth. I am going with 6-10" of plaster for me with just the possibility of a brief mix. Clouds got to come in fast today to hold the low level cold so if I mix it will be a period of freezing rain not just rain. If I stay all snow tomorrow will be great picture weather depending on how much wind on the back side.

Gene

I don't think you'll see plain rain, but I do think you mix for a period. I think you'll be near the low end of your call, but that's just my guess. I'd say 4-6" for you. I think this gets ugly until you get into the Whites.

Sorry, I posted this question in the other thread as well:

Went from a trace to 3" call to 6" to 10" forecast in BTV in 24 hours.

Is this generally the consensus among forecasters?

Thanks.

I'm not a forecaster, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'd say that BTV is looking pretty good for those amounts. Congrats and enjoy! I'll be seeing a mixed bag of blah followed by a couple, three inches.

Looks like Bangor, ME has a snow depth of 40+ inches right now...they could be pushing 45" or more by Sunday, if this upcoming storm works out. Just amazing.

This has to be a near-record snow depth for them, right?

Interesting that the snow depth in Caribou is only 9". :snowman:

Definitely doesn't appear to be 40" on the ground in Bangor. I live about 15 miles north of Bangor and I would say closer to 30. I should go out and try to get a better idea before tonight's event. I always say I'm going to set up a stake but I never get around to it. Perhaps I will try to measure later.

Looks like there may be some mixing or changing to rain tonight for a time.

Gene

What are your thoughts for MHT? I am hoping to at least stay all frozen and a flip back to snow at the end for a few inches. is that plausable?

Just reviewing some of the data... I went with 4-8 and hoped for the best... SREF is interesting... There's actually a big spread in the 850 temps around the critical 3z hour... Going to be ~20 (could be lower) miles make or break here... Don't think it will be plain rain though... We'll see...

850s get warm, but the problem is also above that level...775-850 temps get warm. It appeared the EC got a tick colder though and our WRF here is relatively cool compared to the other models.

850s get warm, but the problem is also above that level...775-850 temps get warm. It appeared the EC got a tick colder though and our WRF here is relatively cool compared to the other models.

Sure. My guess, and it's just that cause I don't have the data, is that a similar spread might be present at those other levels as well. It's snowing here right now...

Just reviewing some of the data... I went with 4-8 and hoped for the best... SREF is interesting... There's actually a big spread in the 850 temps around the critical 3z hour... Going to be ~20 (could be lower) miles make or break here... Don't think it will be plain rain though... We'll see...

Just looked at the SREFs...they're warmer than the last run with some members that got much warmer...so I think that's why the spread is increasing.

I've sublimationally cooled down to 23.9F, but there are now some big aggregates mixing in. We'll see how long it lasts..moderate snow right now.

What are your thoughts for MHT? I am hoping to at least stay all frozen and a flip back to snow at the end for a few inches. is that plausable?

Don't think Manchester will stay all frozen. Heck, its already ZR in Nashua. Will probably end as snow but this will be a net loss of snowpack south of Concord NH in my weenie opinion.

Just looked at the SREFs...they're warmer than the last run with some members that got much warmer...so I think that's why the spread is increasing.

I've sublimationally cooled down to 23.9F, but there are now some big aggregates mixing in. We'll see how long it lasts..moderate snow right now.

Yea. Noticed it got warmer than last run... didn't have access to the individual members (not until ewall).

Just got out of one of the kids basketball games and noticed how dark it was. Then looked around and saw the tops of the hill disappearing, stopped at store and picked up beer for the night, came out to lgt snow, 5 minutes later snow is coming down moderately with a temp of 25F. I guess it is time to rake the roof and then come in and enjoy the snow and whatever else is in store for the night...ohhh yeah enjoy the beer as well ;).

Ok so vis has dropped under 1/4 mile +SN now!

Definitely doesn't appear to be 40" on the ground in Bangor. I live about 15 miles north of Bangor and I would say closer to 30. I should go out and try to get a better idea before tonight's event. I always say I'm going to set up a stake but I never get around to it. Perhaps I will try to measure later.

Looks like there may be some mixing or changing to rain tonight for a time.

Thanks...sounds fun. :snowman:

Either way, very impressive depths! I got the 40" number in Bangor from the F-6 monthly climate summary.

Thanks...sounds fun. :snowman:

Either way, very impressive depths! I got the 40" number in Bangor from the F-6 monthly climate summary.

I saw that too. Somehow they had 12.9" of new snow from the event a few days ago, yet had a snow depth increase of 14" from 28" to 42". So it doesn't exactly add up.

Archived